I don't like living in England....

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
ClappedOut

Re: I don't like living in England....

Post by ClappedOut »

I don't like the state, it's manipulation, corruption and incompetence - fortunately it is easy to disengage from most of it by simply treating it with the same credibility as a lying child.

Seeing the **** show in parliament and a pay rise for doing nothing, dropped off the electoral roll & census years ago, deleted myself from social media and haven't a photo or any home life photos on the Internet.

My biggest concern is seeing a section of the population who are incapable of respectfully debate and to all intent regurgitation of the ofal they have been fed through the media.

The police are pretty useless as our friend whose husband received no crisis help and committed suicide and separate independent police complaint investigation by the police and they tried every trick and got Nailed.

A extended family member has mental health issues and has been left to rot.

So cautiously have a small group of friends for disasters etc and generally a large number of associates that I'm polite, but wouldn't leave the children with or keys to the house.

My outlook is expect to be taken advantage of and hope your not, I think the less than perfect childhood plays a part in this.

Crave a simple life really
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

What a happy person you are!! :( :(
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

philvantwo wrote:What a happy person you are!! :( :(

Am riding my bicycle :D
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

The discussion of flags has had me thinking of the heated debates about the Canadian flag in the early 1960s. It's something that had been bubbling away for much longer, but I only noticed in my teens and that was when it was resolved in favour of the current design.

One thing that has stuck in my mind was a satirical suggestion - perhaps in a Punch cartoon - that it should simply carry the words FLAG and DRAPEAU. (The problem then, of course, was which should come first.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Can ... lag_Debate

Some people place more significance on flags than others.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

The Irish Times has an interesting article on flying the flag
https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/rise ... -1.4525352

The last line
Britain is primed for reinvention and a new national story. The problem is the Conservatives are attempting to sell a story about a Britain that doesn’t exist any more.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

flag-waving is a sign of deep anxiety in the EU ?
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

On a day to day basis, choose any flag or affiliation you like and hope it pleases the person.

Since we are out of The EU an experiment that seems as useful as communism- Our household don't care what happens.

Our conclusion is the Media and political parties seek to keep people in a state of flux and focused on things that are ballooned out of proportion.

Be concerned about what your not being told like various sweetheart deals and corruption.

Try ignoring the newspapers, TV and general media for a week, your not miss anything you really need and lower blood pressure not wasting time on endless debates where you have no control of the outcome.

Fly your flags as you wish, believe in whatever religion or cause that makes you feel purposeful- just don't preach to others.

I worship the Sun, it's easy and some good times
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Paulatic wrote:The Irish Times has an interesting article on flying the flag

The Irish fly the tricolour over government buildings, outside many, possibly all, of the county halls and over the old GPO building that was part of the Easter Rising. In 2016 they decided that the flag should fly over the main Government Building 24/7 and be illuminated.

Enda Kenny said, “The national flag, from this day and this night on, will always fly here, fully illuminated as a testament to the importance of Ireland’s flag flying proudly in Government Buildings,”
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Ben@Forest wrote:
Paulatic wrote:The Irish Times has an interesting article on flying the flag

The Irish fly the tricolour over government buildings, outside many, possibly all, of the county halls and over the old GPO building that was part of the Easter Rising. In 2016 they decided that the flag should fly over the main Government Building 24/7 and be illuminated.

Enda Kenny said, “The national flag, from this day and this night on, will always fly here, fully illuminated as a testament to the importance of Ireland’s flag flying proudly in Government Buildings,”

Of course the Irish had a famous statue destruction.
Nelson's Pillar in O'Connell Street, Dublin was bombed in 1966.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Mike Sales wrote:Of course the Irish had a famous statue destruction.

In the grounds of Chillingham Castle, Northumberland is an equestrian statue of Viscount Gough, a British army officer. He was Irish-born and is thought to have been the officer who saw more service in more campaigns than any other 19thC officer.

The statue was erected in Phoenix Park, Dublin but it was repeatedly vandalised from the 1940s onward. It was removed after it was blown up in 1957. It was finally re-erected in Northumberland - and probably too remote to be on any BLM list..... :wink:

https://www.archiseek.com/2013/gough-st ... rk-dublin/
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

Ben@Forest wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:Of course the Irish had a famous statue destruction.

In the grounds of Chillingham Castle, Northumberland is an equestrian statue of Viscount Gough, a British army officer. He was Irish-born and is thought to have been the officer who saw more service in more campaigns than any other 19thC officer.

The statue was erected in Phoenix Park, Dublin but it was repeatedly vandalised from the 1940s onward. It was removed after it was blown up in 1957. It was finally re-erected in Northumberland - and probably too remote to be on any BLM list..... :wink:

https://www.archiseek.com/2013/gough-st ... rk-dublin/

learn something every day - I have been cycling past this for years and had no idea of who it was or its history. I will include it on one of my routes next week.
Mistik-ka

Post by Mistik-ka »

thirdcrank wrote:The discussion of flags has had me thinking of the heated debates about the Canadian flag in the early 1960s. It's something that had been bubbling away for much longer, but I only noticed in my teens and that was when it was resolved in favour of the current design.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Can ... lag_Debate

Some people place more significance on flags than others.

I am astounded that the flag kerfuffle was considered newsworthy on your side of the Atlantic (or ours, come to that). At the mature and worldly age of sixteen I was one of those who placed less significance on the flag than did some others. It was a moment of political enlightenment for me — the first time I followed a debate in our House of Commons and asked a question that has resurfaced regularly since then: "Are we actually paying these guys (it was predominantly men in those days) to waste their time on this?" Party politics and 'behaving like an adult' were beginning to lose their attraction.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

It might be the origin of the expression "interest beginning to flag."

Media interest here might have been something to do with the loss of another vestige of Empire - the Union Flag being removed - at a time when IIRC, De Gaulle was nebbing in with his substantial neb.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

165758783_3831552320253688_1140725186547684556_n.jpg

Les Sables-d'Olonne last Monday.

Seems the UK has left but not forgotten :D

I'm not sure about the significance of the bare flagpole though. :lol:
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Or maybe 'flag up'
(flag up)