I don't like living in England....

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
merseymouth

Re: I don't like living in England....

Post by merseymouth »

Wow, Nice mention of Nelson taking a tumble in Dublin. Who remembers the the song that went the rounds after it went bang? Still rings around in my noggin.
Don't think much of toppling such effigies, but there is one that I would applaud the downfall, precise wording, that must be the horror honouring Edward Carson outside Storemont. No statue for him, he should have shared the same gibbet as Roger Casement! MM
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

thirdcrank wrote:It might be the origin of the expression "interest beginning to flag."

Discussed over here:
https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=144009&p=1593506#p1593506

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

thirdcrank wrote:The discussion of flags has had me thinking of the heated debates about the Canadian flag in the early 1960s. It's something that had been bubbling away for much longer, but I only noticed in my teens and that was when it was resolved in favour of the current design.

Fascinating story, including what we now call culture wars.

And there are lots similar related to Britain: the South African flag and anthem, the rugby anthems of Scotland and Ireland, the Australian anthem...

And it goes on. "For we are young and free" has been changed in the last few months.

Jonathan
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Yes, lots of us still love to visit France and other European destinations Franco, and, the French love to welcome us and what we spend. Win Win! Nice to see evidence of a grown up approach to international relations.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

francovendee wrote:165758783_3831552320253688_1140725186547684556_n.jpg
Les Sables-d'Olonne last Monday.

Seems the UK has left but not forgotten :D

I'm not sure about the significance of the bare flagpole though. :lol:

That's interesting. Is it related to military history or a cemetery or similar?

Jonathan
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Tourism in this part is a big industry and I'm sure the holiday trade will feel some loss from the lack of visitors from the UK.
As the French aren't voyaging overseas this will help fill the hotels and campsites during July and August.
Visitors from the UK could be found here most months of the year and their loss will be what's felt.

If I had my way I'd ban all visits unless the person went into compulsory lock down.
The spread of this disease is so rapid it seems stupid to take chances.

The English variant of C19 now accounts for over 89% of cases in the Vendee, hence the rapid rise in the numbers.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

The English variant of the Chinese virus ?

Strange how we are allowed to say the English or Kent variant but get accused of racism if we were to say the Chinese virus. As far as I know we do not know for certain either are true, just they were first identified in these countries. I'm happy with either term but we can't use one without the other?
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Pebble wrote:The English variant of the Chinese virus ?

Strange how we are allowed to say the English or Kent variant but get accused of racism if we were to say the Chinese virus. As far as I know we do not know for certain either are true, just they were first identified in these countries. I'm happy with either term but we can't use one without the other?

It's like Dutch Elm Disease. Its only connection to the Netherlands is that Dutch plant pathologists identified that it was here in Europe (it had been imported on timber from North America).
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Ben@Forest wrote:It's like Dutch Elm Disease. Its only connection to the Netherlands is that Dutch plant pathologists identified that it was here in Europe (it had been imported on timber from North America).

Weren't the trees on which the Dutch pathologists first identified it growing in the Netherlands?

Jonathan
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Jdsk wrote:
Ben@Forest wrote:It's like Dutch Elm Disease. Its only connection to the Netherlands is that Dutch plant pathologists identified that it was here in Europe (it had been imported on timber from North America).

Weren't the trees on which the Dutch pathologists first identified it growing in the Netherlands?

Jonathan

Almost certainly, but it's likely it was all over parts of Europe by then, so not specifically limited to Holland. There's a saying that we (at least the UK) have a tree pest/disease for 10 years before we realise it's there. Ash dieback was officially identified here in 2012, it's suspected it was here for a good few years before that (I've heard at least 2007 but can't remember where I heard/read that).
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks

Jonathan
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

I don't think it implies it is anything other than a way to identify a strain. We hear also of the SA and Brazil variants. I think there isn't a need to use Chinese, we know that's where the original came from.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

francovendee wrote:I don't think it implies it is anything other than a way to identify a strain. We hear also of the SA and Brazil variants. I think there isn't a need to use Chinese, we know that's where the original came from.

Yes.

Jonathan
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

francovendee wrote:

I don't think it implies it is anything other than a way to identify a strain. We hear also of the SA and Brazil variants. I think there isn't a need to use Chinese, we know that's where the original came from.

I think the names are important and for me it raises an interesting aspect about human nature. I don't see the terms "Chinese", "Kent" or "Brazilian" as racist (maybe I'm naive) butI do see the way some have responses to such names as an excuse to further racist behaviour (e.g. the abuse/attacks against Asian people in the US after Trump's use of "China Virus"). Is something racist if it in some way invokes racist behaviours or beliefs of a few racist people?

Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Psamathe wrote:
francovendee wrote:

I think the names are important and for me it raises an interesting aspect about human nature. I don't see the terms "Chinese", "Kent" or "Brazilian" as racist (maybe I'm naive) butI do see the way some have responses to such names as an excuse to further racist behaviour (e.g. the abuse/attacks against Asian people in the US after Trump's use of "China Virus"). Is something racist if it in some way invokes racist behaviours or beliefs of a few racist people?

It depends!

"China virus" was nasty and I took its use to be deliberate.

Jonathan