I don't like living in England....

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Tangled Metal

Re: I don't like living in England....

Post by Tangled Metal »

Aren't the current native Americans just the previous immigration to the Europeans who survived? There's been a few immigration waves and I can't recall the details but are there traces of the earlier migration waves? I know a lot died out but AIUI there's evidence of earlier cultures surviving into the earliest period of the current native American ancestors. Might be only partly correct and someone will know the details on here I'm sure.

Basically we're all just custodians of the land for those who come later! Ultimately ownership of land is temporary.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Tangled Metal wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 12:49pm Aren't the current native Americans just the previous immigration to the Europeans who survived? There's been a few immigration waves and I can't recall the details but are there traces of the earlier migration waves?
It's a lot more complex than it used to be:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Settlemen ... e_Americas

And as well as the science there are some political motives involved in some of the theories.

Jonathan
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Tangled Metal wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 12:49pm Aren't the current native Americans just the previous immigration to the Europeans who survived? There's been a few immigration waves and I can't recall the details but are there traces of the earlier migration waves? I know a lot died out but AIUI there's evidence of earlier cultures surviving into the earliest period of the current native American ancestors. Might be only partly correct and someone will know the details on here I'm sure.

Basically we're all just custodians of the land for those who come later! Ultimately ownership of land is temporary.
The Americas have been populated by humans for tens of thousands of years. The earliest evidence found thus far is, from, IIRC 35000 years or so ago.

People also crossed the Land Bridge during the last Ice Age, circa, 11000 years ago.

I'm not aware that there is evidence for multiple waves of immigration, prior to the 17th century. I'm not sure if there is evidence for anyone other than the Vikings, who were not successful in establishing themselves in what is now Canada.

Edited to add:
Humans settled in the Americas much earlier than previously thought, according to new finds from Mexico.

They suggest people were living there 33,000 years ago, twice the widely accepted age for the earliest settlement of the Americas.
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-53486868

another article suggests 50000 years... https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 104010.htm
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

With reference to the topic's title, I'm saddened to learn that UK citizens are reported to have been verbally abusing RNLI volunteers, returning to shore after call-outs - see here. Doesn't make me Proud To Be British at all...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

From what I've read there's been repeated migration waves from about the time evidenced by the 33000 sites through to about 10000. I read the first migration based on DNA had a date of 25000, i.e. pre-Clovis. Then they split into two groups. Indeed later migration can't back northwards from central America into Southern USA. They're all pass into the Americas from Siberia though. A complex picture and one that's still only being seen from a very zoomed out perspective.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

simonineaston wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 1:11pm With reference to the topic's title, I'm saddened to learn that UK citizens are reported to have been verbally abusing RNLI volunteers, returning to shore after call-outs - see here. Doesn't make me Proud To Be British at all...
It's a disgrace.

RNLI statement:
https://rnli.org/news-and-media/2021/ju ... sh-channel

Jonathan

PS: Anyone read the Governments' new Bill?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Tangled Metal wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 1:13pm From what I've read there's been repeated migration waves from about the time evidenced by the 33000 sites through to about 10000. I read the first migration based on DNA had a date of 25000, i.e. pre-Clovis. Then they split into two groups. Indeed later migration can't back northwards from central America into Southern USA. They're all pass into the Americas from Siberia though. A complex picture and one that's still only being seen from a very zoomed out perspective.
The term "migration wave" might imply more people than the current evidence supports.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Does Unesco's panel include 'experts' from the UK, known local opponents, people who display a continuous down on the UK, Guardian journalists and other malcontents?
They're at it again:

Jonathan
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Tangled Metal wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 1:13pm From what I've read there's been repeated migration waves from about the time evidenced by the 33000 sites through to about 10000. I read the first migration based on DNA had a date of 25000, i.e. pre-Clovis. Then they split into two groups. Indeed later migration can't back northwards from central America into Southern USA. They're all pass into the Americas from Siberia though. A complex picture and one that's still only being seen from a very zoomed out perspective.
Where have you read this? Can you please provide links?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

If look to national geographic. There's a few articles relating to research from IIRC 2019 about DNA testing of samples from around the Americas but the one I read was from research outlining migration into South America and in at least one case out of South America too. That followed it down to the Pacific Northwest then further South. Interesting summary.

The key dates they said was 25000 for I think the start, the 33000 site must be further north. However it was later at about 12000 to 9600 I think the most happened. Itis interesting because the migration into Central and South America split decisively in North America and there's genetic markers to indicate this in samples tested.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Fill in the missing words...

“With two of the world’s 10 best xxxx situated in the city, London remains a world-leading yyyy hub. However, increasing Covid cases and lingering Brexit effects may serve to undermine London’s privileged position.”

Jonathan
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Tangled Metal wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 6:55pm If look to national geographic. There's a few articles relating to research from IIRC 2019 about DNA testing of samples from around the Americas but the one I read was from research outlining migration into South America and in at least one case out of South America too. That followed it down to the Pacific Northwest then further South. Interesting summary.

The key dates they said was 25000 for I think the start, the 33000 site must be further north. However it was later at about 12000 to 9600 I think the most happened. Itis interesting because the migration into Central and South America split decisively in North America and there's genetic markers to indicate this in samples tested.
This article suggests that most Native Americans became genetically isolated about 23000 years ago, but there was some exchange in the Northwest, across the Bering straits, but that those populations were isolated from others in North America.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science- ... 180973739/
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jdsk wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 7:57pm Fill in the missing words...

“With two of the world’s 10 best xxxx situated in the city, London remains a world-leading yyyy hub. However, increasing Covid cases and lingering Brexit effects may serve to undermine London’s privileged position.”
This isn't a trick, it's something at which we excel...

Jonathan
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

The only people I know who have immigrated to the UK recently, went to London for university.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Spot-on... Universities and educational.
https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... w-rankings

It baffles me why success isn't fêted.

Jonathan