I don't like living in England....

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Oldjohnw

Re: I don't like living in England....

Post by Oldjohnw »

simonineaston wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 1:11pm With reference to the topic's title, I'm saddened to learn that UK citizens are reported to have been verbally abusing RNLI volunteers, returning to shore after call-outs - see here. Doesn't make me Proud To Be British at all...
Now this I like:

BBC News - RNLI donations increase after migrant rescue criticism
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-58009646
John
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Perhaps you dislike living in England but like some English such as those responding to the hatred given to the RNLI by increasing their income?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

"The Macpherson Report: Twenty-two years on"
https://committees.parliament.uk/public ... 7/default/

Conclusions (in full)
Across the country police forces work hard each day to tackle crime and keep all our communities safe. Police officers and staff work immensely hard to deliver fairness in policing, to support Black and minority ethnic victims of crime, to tackle racist hate crimes and support community cohesion. But it is because the role of the police in communities is so important that the issues raised in our report need to be addressed.
Our inquiry has found that the Macpherson report’s overall aim of the elimination of racist prejudice and disadvantage and the demonstration of fairness in all aspects of policing has still not been met twenty-two years on, and we have identified areas where too little progress has been made because of a lack of focus and accountability on issues of race.
The commitments made over the last year by the NPCC, by individual forces and by senior police officers to a step change in addressing race equality in policing are important. But commitments have been made in the past that were then not delivered. This time needs to be different or confidence may be permanently undermined. This time, Government and police forces need to work with local communities to ensure there is real and sustainable change that improves the experiences of, and outcomes for, Black and minority ethnic communities whether within the police service or outside of it, that raises confidence and demonstrates fairness in policing for all.

Jonathan
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

The High Court has quashed Grant Shapps’ plans to build a tunnel at Stonehenge.

A victory for local people.
Last edited by Oldjohnw on 30 Jul 2021, 6:14pm, edited 1 time in total.
John
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jdsk wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 8:25pm
Jdsk wrote: 14 Jul 2021, 1:20pm
661-Pete wrote: 11 Jul 2021, 11:21pm Good reason to go veggie this coming Xmas! Although fruit and vegetables will also, quite likely, be impacted - partly because of a shortage of pickers.
Interview with the President of the NFU:
https://ukandeu.ac.uk/brexit-witness-ar ... e-batters/

includes:

UKICE: We’ve heard about asparagus rotting in the fields, strawberries unpicked, daffodils unpicked. Are those scare stories, or is there a significant issue with labour shortages?

MB: No, it’s a massively significant issue. Again, it was the engagement with Number 10 that got the global seasonal scheme of 30,000 over the line. We’ve now got the two licences in place for that. But our strawberries, our raspberries, our asparagus, our blueberries, are reliant on the dexterity of the human hand. We need people to harvest our fruit, vegetables, and flowers. There have been challenges.

The daffodil-growers in Cornwall will have faced enormous losses. We’ve got to make sure that we build what I would call bridges to more mechanisation, more automation. If we don’t do that, we will see things rotting in the fields, simply because we haven’t got the capability to pick them.

There are a lot of things that need to be done. We need to work collaboratively to incentivise a UK workforce. That isn’t going to happen overnight, because we’ve actively pushed people away from doing those jobs. It doesn’t mean to say that it won’t come back, but it’s going to take a lot of working together.

Fundamentally, we need to be producing much more of our fruit and veg here. Covid-19 has probably really shone a light on our diets, that a lot of them are not good diets, and we all need to have more fruit and veg in them. We’ve got the climate here to be growing it. I think, again, we need to be looking at producing more here. We’re still going to need a workforce.

There isn’t a silver bullet, but ignoring the situation and saying it isn’t important is not a way forwards. We’ve got to be able to look at, actually, how we enable these growers to have access to the workforce that they need.
"HGV licence fast-track won’t stop UK food shortages, industry warns":
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... stry-warns
Milk and frozen food.
Arla and Nisa.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... -and-covid

And on Economics 101... signing-on bonuses and higher costs and lower volumes.

Jonathan
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

What I would like to know is why did those who have recently cancelled their payment to RNLI donate in the first place? Did they imagine there were people unworthy of being rescued?
John
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

al_yrpal wrote: 25 Jul 2021, 4:51pmWhy cant we all quietly just get along
There's someone posting in another thread with your username:
viewtopic.php?p=1626190#p1626190

Jonathan
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

As far as I am aware we havent experienced any serious shortages that we cant live with just yet. Its certainly concentrating the minds of those paying 'slave' wages just as I predicted when the supply of cheap Eastern European labour dried up. No doubt time will raise up our lower paid and level things up a bit.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

al_yrpal wrote: 31 Jul 2021, 11:58am As far as I am aware we havent experienced any serious shortages that we cant live with just yet.
It's generally a good idea to respond before that happens.

"... but since May this year the operating environment has deteriorated so profoundly I can see no other outcome than major food shortages in the UK.

"'Supply of chicken and turkey is under threat. Our retail partners and the wider supply chain have worked together closer than ever before to ensure we retain food supply and this is of huge credit to everyone. But we are at crisis point.'"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... paran.html

Qu'ils mangent de la brioche?

Jonathan

PS:
"Oxford Mini production to halt due to chip shortage"
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-o ... e-56915685
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

al_yrpal wrote: 31 Jul 2021, 11:58am As far as I am aware we havent experienced any serious shortages that we cant live with just yet. Its certainly concentrating the minds of those paying 'slave' wages just as I predicted when the supply of cheap Eastern European labour dried up. No doubt time will raise up our lower paid and level things up a bit.

Al
Of course. Wait until people are going hungry then prepare. The poor don’t need food: keep them hungry and they’ll work harder.
John
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

"Barfoots of Botley, a farming company based on England's south coast near Bognor Regis, said 750,000 courgettes were being left to rot."

https://www.euronews.com/2021/07/14/dev ... ket_mylist

Jonathan
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

If he poor can’t have bread they can have cake. And if they can’t have cake it seems they can have wine.

Ms Truss has negotiated 20p off a bottle of Australian wine.

And before anyone tells me I always blame the government, well, it was the government. It was even Ms Truss’s photo in the papers!
John
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Jdsk wrote: 31 Jul 2021, 12:27pm "Barfoots of Botley, a farming company based on England's south coast near Bognor Regis, said 750,000 courgettes were being left to rot."

https://www.euronews.com/2021/07/14/dev ... ket_mylist

Jonathan
Glad I planted courgettes, runners, sweetcorn and cucumbers when we moved in last month. Pay decent wages and the workers will comel

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I’m wondering if it is my local Boots Manager the Home Office that is guilty of this bit of deception. I am trying my best to find someone other than the government to blame.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/h ... 94092.html
John
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Presumably Carolyn Lucas or somebody’s fault:
Good Law Project had a court hearing last week in connection with our challenge to the award of a lucrative public contract to associates of Michael Gove and Dominic Cummings at Hanbury without competition.

Documents we can now disclose show that Hanbury, under the instruction of the Cabinet Office, was given taxpayers’ money to conduct 'political polling' on key opposition figures, including Keir Starmer and Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan.

The decision to spend public money polling on opposition politicians left civil servants deeply, and rightly, uncomfortable. One said on email: 'hanbury measure attitude towards political figures, which they shouldn’t do using government money, but they have been asked to and it’s a battle that i think is hard to fight.'

Documents unearthed in the course of our hearing also include this March 2020 email from Dominic Cummings to civil servants demanding approval is given 'immediately' for Hanbury to commence polling work, adding 'Anybody in CABOFF whines tell them i ordered it from PM.'

News of Hanbury’s involvement was not well-received. One civil servant wrote: 'this all makes me really uncomfortable. ben warner wants us to spend £110k of public money per month with the agency who were behind vote leave who have no mainstream polling experience.'

The evidence also shows Dominic Cummings' close ally and former No.10 advisor Ben Warner (another Vote Leave veteran) was directing civil servants to his private WhatsApp rather than his official email address. In one email to civil servants, he claims: 'often its easier to catch me over WhatsApp than email'. Needless to say, Government hasn’t disclosed any of Mr Warner’s WhatsApp messages.

This money doesn’t belong to the Tories. They shouldn’t be spending it working out how to win elections. It’s public money – from taxes we all work hard to pay. And it’s a kind of theft for them to misuse it for the purposes of the Conservative Party.
John