I don't like living in England....

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mike Sales

Re: I don't like living in England....

Post by Mike Sales »

Oldjohnw wrote: 31 Jul 2021, 5:27pm Presumably Carolyn Lucas or somebody’s fault:
Good Law Project had a court hearing last week in connection with our challenge to the award of a lucrative public contract to associates of Michael Gove and Dominic Cummings at Hanbury without competition.

This money doesn’t belong to the Tories. They shouldn’t be spending it working out how to win elections. It’s public money – from taxes we all work hard to pay. And it’s a kind of theft for them to misuse it for the purposes of the Conservative Party.
More The Thick of It than Yes, Minister.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Cummings worked hard at the Select Committee to pretend he wasn’t there and it was nowt to do with him. He was there, as you say, in the thick of it.
John
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Perhaps you dislike living in England but like some English such as those responding to the hatred given to the RNLI by increasing their income?
While I'm not exactly sure what your question is, I think broadly-speaking I agree. My reaction was to potter off and donate (by way of an apology for the behaviour of others) & it seems Farage has prompted a swell of other donations too... brilliant!!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

I stopped donating when I found out the CEO is on a fat cat salary of £160,000!!
I've also got the impression some lifeboat crews are a bit of a clique, it they're that committed why don't they buy their own clothing?
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I boycotted the NHS when I discovered how much doctors earned. It didn’t end well. :D
John
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

al_yrpal wrote: 31 Jul 2021, 1:41pm
Jdsk wrote: 31 Jul 2021, 12:27pm "Barfoots of Botley, a farming company based on England's south coast near Bognor Regis, said 750,000 courgettes were being left to rot."

https://www.euronews.com/2021/07/14/dev ... ket_mylist
Pay decent wages and the workers will comel
We've discussed the economic effects of the shortage of labour. If labour costs go up what do you think will happen to volumes of production and the survival of businesses in that sector?

Thanks

Jonathan

PS: End of furlough will mean thousands of job losses as one firm in five plans to shed employees"
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... oyees.html
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

philvantwo wrote: 31 Jul 2021, 9:34pm I stopped donating when I found out the CEO is on a fat cat salary of £160,000!!
I've also got the impression some lifeboat crews are a bit of a clique, it they're that committed why don't they buy their own clothing?
I think that is an entirely reasonable salary for a CEO. It puts them in the lowest paying quarter of charities, and they arguably provide an important public service. https://www.thirdsector.co.uk/charity-p ... le/1579117
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I wonder how much Philvantwo thinks someone with the requisite skill of running a multimillion pound business should earn.
John
sjs

Post by sjs »

philvantwo wrote: 31 Jul 2021, 9:34pm I stopped donating when I found out the CEO is on a fat cat salary of £160,000!!
Yeah, and boats for that matter.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jdsk wrote: 1 Aug 2021, 8:28am
al_yrpal wrote: 31 Jul 2021, 1:41pm
Jdsk wrote: 31 Jul 2021, 12:27pm "Barfoots of Botley, a farming company based on England's south coast near Bognor Regis, said 750,000 courgettes were being left to rot."

https://www.euronews.com/2021/07/14/dev ... ket_mylist
Pay decent wages and the workers will comel
We've discussed the economic effects of the shortage of labour. If labour costs go up what do you think will happen to volumes of production and the survival of businesses in that sector?PS: End of furlough will mean thousands of job losses as one firm in five plans to shed employees"
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... oyees.html

"Employers offer golden hellos of up to £10k amid worker shortage"
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... r-shortage

Jonathan
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I've often wondered why soldiers don't buy their own tanks and guns. After all, teachers often have to purchase their own textbooks.

Let's extend this to busses and trains. And politicians buying their own houses and dinners.
John
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Oldjohnw wrote: 2 Aug 2021, 10:47am I've often wondered why soldiers don't buy their own tanks and guns.
"Service in the fyrd was usually of short duration and participants were expected to provide their own arms and provisions."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fyrd

: - )

Jonathan
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Vorpal wrote: 2 Aug 2021, 9:45am
I think that is an entirely reasonable salary for a CEO. It puts them in the lowest paying quarter of charities, and they arguably provide an important public service. https://www.thirdsector.co.uk/charity-p ... le/1579117
Well I think it sounds like a lot of money.
It's a charity, not a profit making business.
I imagine the actual lifeboatmen are on some sort of small "retainer" plus a fee for callouts?

It's the disparity in wage levels that seems so damaging.
Look at a UK pensioner's paltry income.

There is also an argument that such high salaries and the high consumption lifestyles that must accompany them (or they give it all to charity!?) are actually damaging the planet!

You can paint it another way of course.
The rich guy buys solar panels and a Tesla to feed his green conscience.
He lives in an expensive "eco" house with all the conveniences of "modern life" with their associated consumption and high levels of debt.

Travels extensively "on business" 'cos it's essential, and probably
more for leisure than average too.

But that Tesla and the panels mean he's saving the planet.

I, for one, am not convinced.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Oldjohnw wrote: 31 Jul 2021, 12:21pm
al_yrpal wrote: 31 Jul 2021, 11:58am As far as I am aware we havent experienced any serious shortages that we cant live with just yet.
Of course. Wait until people are going hungry then prepare. The poor don’t need food: keep them hungry and they’ll work harder.
And the same applies to manufacturing and wealth creation as to food production and distribution:
"Scarcities, shortages and price rises remained prominent challenges faced by UK manufacturers during July.
"Raw material, staff and skill shortages were all major factors stymieing output growth and contributing to a further marked increase in input purchasing. Solid jobs growth continued, but the rate was insufficient to prevent a further increase in backlogs.
"Logistic delays caused by stretched international supply chains meanwhile led to a further marked lengthening of supplier lead times during July. Raw material shortages, disruption caused by COVID-19 and Brexit and capacity issues across the distribution network (including delays at ports, freight and shipping services) also contributed to delivery delays."

https://www.markiteconomics.com/Public/ ... be5c781f38

Jonathan
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

PDQ Mobile wrote: 2 Aug 2021, 11:19am
Well I think it sounds like a lot of money.
It's a charity, not a profit making business.
I imagine the actual lifeboatmen are on some sort of small "retainer" plus a fee for callouts?

It's the disparity in wage levels that seems so damaging.
I agree that the disparity is the problem. But if they were a profit making company, the CEO would likely make 50 times as much, possibly more. £160,000 is only 10 times a low paid job.

Tim Steiner, the CEO of Ocado was paid £58.7 million in 2019
FTSE 100 CEOs earn 119 times as much as their lowest paid employees.
PDQ Mobile wrote: 2 Aug 2021, 11:19am
Look at a UK pensioner's paltry income.
That's a different issue. Pensioners should get more, but that's unrelated to how much CEOs get.
PDQ Mobile wrote: 2 Aug 2021, 11:19am There is also an argument that such high salaries and the high consumption lifestyles that must accompany them (or they give it all to charity!?) are actually damaging the planet!

You can paint it another way of course.
The rich guy buys solar panels and a Tesla to feed his green conscience.
He lives in an expensive "eco" house with all the conveniences of "modern life" with their associated consumption and high levels of debt.

Travels extensively "on business" 'cos it's essential, and probably
more for leisure than average too.

But that Tesla and the panels mean he's saving the planet.
I agree with that argument, but I don't think it is a basis to demand lower pay for CEOs, especially charity CEOs, who make relatively little compared to the private sector. Other incentives need to be used to get people to reduce their environmental footprints.

The wealthy people who make laws and policy, and their friends who run businesses and donate to politics won't allow that sort of thing. Even if they did, the wealthiest would still have the biggest environmental footprints.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom