pukka pies

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: pukka pies

Post by Mick F »

What about Newcastle Brown?
That had a protection because it was made in Newcastle ................ and then they moved production to Gateshead and then to Tadcaster.
Mick F. Cornwall
Clouded Leopard

Post by Clouded Leopard »

Anyone venturing through Crawshawbooth in the Valley of Stone (Rossendale) should sample the “Tatty Pies” at the Cottage Bakery. Wonderful. Their egg custard tarts are just sublime. Hopefully will be re-opening as the COVID restrictions are relaxed.
When the earth becomes sick the animals will begin to die. When that happens The Warriors of the Rainbow will come to save them.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I presume that Newcastle Brown production was protected by trade marks the same as Yorkshire Tea
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Mick F wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 9:05am What about Newcastle Brown?
That had a protection because it was made in Newcastle ................ and then they moved production to Gateshead and then to Tadcaster.
And it lost its protected geographical status when it moved.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I wasn't aware that Newcastle Brown was ever a sort of appelation controlée, but that does demonstrate the absurdity of some of this. The logic would be that some other brewer local to Newcastle Upon Tyne could brew and market their own version.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

thirdcrank wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 12:04pm I wasn't aware that Newcastle Brown was ever a sort of appelation controlée, but that does demonstrate the absurdity of some of this. The logic would be that some other brewer local to Newcastle Upon Tyne could brew and market their own version.
And no reason why not. If a Gosforth, or Byker, or Jesmond Brown Ale was produced in those places and over time became well known locally, then nationally or even internationally why shouldn't it get Protected Geographical Indication (PGI) status? I think the sad thing is that they'll be very few such 'geographical specialities' now we're in an age of globalisation.

More than 30 years ago a 'Newquay Steam' beer was launched (it was brewed in Redruth but ignore that inconvenient fact!) it had great success very quickly but that meant it was bought out by Whitbread and very soon production was moved to Whitbread plants and canned rather than bottled (and the bottles were quite distinctive). It was gone by the mid 90s. I drunk it but don't remember if Newquay Steam beer was really that good - but any chance of it being a regional speciality was virtually killed off at birth.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I'm saying that anybody producing brown ale in Newcastle Brown Ale in Newcastle ought to be able to call it Newcastle Brown Ale.

It seems to me that adding the type of protection we are talking about to a proprietary item like this is pure marketing. ie It's not a way of preventing something else being passed off as the real thing. That comes from trademark law etc.

And as MickF (?) pointed out, none of this stopped production of NB moving to Tadcaster.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I remember Newquay Steam Beer. They had a few varieties of the stuff.
Always too fizzy for me, so tried it once, and not again.

Sharp's beers were nice. Often drank Cornish Coaster and Sharp's Own. Excellent beers, but not now since they were bought out by Coors.

They show that they are brewed in Rock .......... posh place across the river from Padstow ........... their bottles and their pump clips proclaim Rock.

The brewery isn't in Rock, but up the road in an industrial estate in Pityme.
Pityme wouldn't look so good on a beer eh? :D
Screen Shot 2021-04-14 at 15.50.12.png
Mick F. Cornwall
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Mick F wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 3:52pm I remember Newquay Steam Beer. They had a few varieties of the stuff.

Sharp's beers were nice. Often drank Cornish Coaster and Sharp's Own. Excellent beers, but not now since they were bought out by Coors.

They show that they are brewed in Rock .......... posh place across the river from Padstow ........... their bottles and their pump clips proclaim Rock.

There is another beer on that map. Doom Bar.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
rjb

Post by rjb »

Mike Sales wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 3:56pm
Mick F wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 3:52pm I remember Newquay Steam Beer. They had a few varieties of the stuff.

There is another beer on that map. Doom Bar.
Well spotted. :shock:

And you can get Splatted as well. :D. Below the brewery if you didn't notice it.

Is the Oss putting in an appearance this year. Anyone know. ?
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

I have crossed the bar a couple of times, sailing into Padstow: you tend to take notice of it in a boat!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, Doom Bar is named after Doom Bar .......... sand bank in the estuary.

Horrid stuff.
Cornish Coaster was nice, and they brought out Doom Bar to the same recipe but instead of 3.6% is was 4%.
Nice stuff too ............. but Bill Sharp sold the business soon after to Coors and the recipes changed. Also Doom and the others are brewed in many parts of the country now.

Another story:
We used to very regulars at the Queens Head. It was a short walk there from where we lived then. Fred and Hilda ran the place, and sold Courage Best. Absolutely wonderful pint there, and Fred and Hilda used to have huge barrels of the stuff in the cellar as it sold very very well indeed.

Some years later, we were in there and ordered a pint, and it tasted a bit strange. We asked quietly if the beer was ok, and were told that the Bristol Courage brewery had closed and Courage had moved to Tadcaster. It was still fine, but different, and it stopped being as big a seller as it was.

If you've got a good product, don't mess with it.

rjb wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 4:04pm Is the Oss putting in an appearance this year. Anyone know. ?
I doubt it.
It do wasn't on last May 1st, so I reckon it'll miss this May 1st too.

Possibly see a mate later in the beer garden at the Rising Sun, and he has been going to Padstow for the May celebrations for 40odd years. He was devastated last year about it being cancelled.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mick F wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 4:13pm Yes, Doom Bar is named after Doom Bar .......... sand bank in the estuary.

Horrid stuff.
Cornish Coaster was nice, and they brought out Doom Bar to the same recipe but instead of 3.6% is was 4%.
Nice stuff too ............. but Bill Sharp sold the business soon after to Coors and the recipes changed. Also Doom and the others are brewed in many parts of the country now.

Another story:
We used to very regulars at the Queens Head. It was a short walk there from where we lived then. Fred and Hilda ran the place, and sold Courage Best. Absolutely wonderful pint there, and Fred and Hilda used to have huge barrels of the stuff in the cellar as it sold very very well indeed.

Some years later, we were in there and ordered a pint, and it tasted a bit strange. We asked quietly if the beer was ok, and were told that the Bristol Courage brewery had closed and Courage had moved to Tadcaster. It was still fine, but different, and it stopped being as big a seller as it was.

If you've got a good product, don't mess with it.

rjb wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 4:04pm Is the Oss putting in an appearance this year. Anyone know. ?
I doubt it.
The do wasn't on last May 1st, so I reckon it'll miss this May 1st too.

Possibly see a mate later in the beer garden at the Rising Sun, and he has been going to Padstow for the May celebrations for 40odd years. He was devastated last year about it being cancelled.
Mick F. Cornwall
PH

Post by PH »

thirdcrank wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 12:04pm I wasn't aware that Newcastle Brown was ever a sort of appelation controlée, but that does demonstrate the absurdity of some of this. The logic would be that some other brewer local to Newcastle Upon Tyne could brew and market their own version.
If you want absurdity - You can't produce Stilton cheese in Stilton.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Padstein is a nice little harbour, but too many art galleries and boutiques selling "sailing" wear. You had to go up the hill to find a decent food shop.