pukka pies

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
markjohnobrien

Re: pukka pies

Post by markjohnobrien »

Jamesh wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 10:46pm Anyone tried Radford pies of Morcambe.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... LDV3zWPN9y

There are a massive family who have a yearly series on TV about them. Nice family by all accounts.

Cheers James
They look good: whether they are as good as Newitts, I won’t know until I buy one.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
ymfb

Post by ymfb »

Tangled Metal wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 5:30pm Local tiny cafe by the coastguard station sells Cornish style pasties only better than anything I've tried that was actually made in Cornwall. Best pastie I've ever tasted. It's got high meat content and clearly made with fresh meat and veg. Pastry is amazing too. Some Cornish pasties I've had you'd not want to eat the v pastry.
Where is this ?
Two wheels preferred.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

ymfb wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 4:35am
Tangled Metal wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 5:30pm Local tiny cafe by the coastguard station sells Cornish style pasties only better than anything I've tried that was actually made in Cornwall. Best pastie I've ever tasted. It's got high meat content and clearly made with fresh meat and veg. Pastry is amazing too. Some Cornish pasties I've had you'd not want to eat the v pastry.
Where is this ?
There's only 21 - sort a tour out - Mick F will advise, I'm sure :D

Pasty Tour 2021 has a ring.
PH

Post by PH »

The big question with meat pies, is whether the best ones come from the butchers or bakers, it possibly depends on whether you value the pastry or contents highest.
Appleton's Butchers in Rippon is amongst my favourites, I've included it in several tours.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Cornish pasties are a protected product these days.
Pasties are pasties I suppose, but a Cornish pasty has beef skirt, onion and swede, and seasoning to taste, and nothing else. Shortcrust pastry folded over and crimped on the side. They can only be Cornish, if they are made in Cornwall.

Was cycling from JOG to LE some years ago and called in at a cafe in Garstang. The weather was boiling hot and they had air conditioning! :D

Ordered a cuppa and a Cornish pasty ................ and the pasty had peas in it! :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

PH wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 10:04am The big question with meat pies, is whether the best ones come from the butchers or bakers, it possibly depends on whether you value the pastry or contents highest.
Appleton's Butchers in Rippon is amongst my favourites, I've included it in several tours.
While pastry and meat are important, I value the contents higher and find that butchers give the best quality and most meat.

Still, I used to really rate Higgidy steak and stilton pies but they are no longer made and the company has expanded its vegetarian offerings (not my cup of tea) as I guess the profit margin is higher (having no meat).
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
PH

Post by PH »

Mick F wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 2:37pm Cornish pasties are a protected product these days.
Just after that geographical protection came into place, I saw a sign outside a butchers which said something like
original CORNISH recipe
Yorkshire PASTY
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Mick F wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 2:37pm Cornish pasties are a protected product these days.
Pasties are pasties I suppose, but a Cornish pasty has beef skirt, onion and swede, and seasoning to taste, and nothing else. Shortcrust pastry folded over and crimped on the side. They can only be Cornish, if they are made in Cornwall.

Was cycling from JOG to LE some years ago and called in at a cafe in Garstang. The weather was boiling hot and they had air conditioning! :D

Ordered a cuppa and a Cornish pasty ................ and the pasty had peas in it! :lol:
You lot can't even agree on the crimp location - there's shops that are vehement in their insistence that ridge-crimping is the true Cornish way :lol:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Not in Cornwall.
Cornish pasties are folded and crimped on the side.

Personally, I'm not fussed about pasties generally. Have them the way you want them, or not bother with them.
Can't remember the last time I had a pasty.
Mick F. Cornwall
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Mick F wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 5:18pm Not in Cornwall.
Cornish pasties are folded and crimped on the side.

Personally, I'm not fussed about pasties generally. Have them the way you want them, or not bother with them.
Can't remember the last time I had a pasty.
Mythbusting alert :D
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

According to the PGI status, a Cornish pasty should be shaped like a 'D' and crimped on one side, not on the top. Its ingredients should include beef, swede (called turnip in Cornwall), potato and onion, with a light seasoning of salt and pepper, keeping a chunky texture.
Main ingredients: A pastry case traditionally filled with beef skirt, potato, swede and ...
Region or state: Cornwall
Variations: Cheese and onion, cheese and potato
https://en.m.wikipedia.org › wiki

Thread drift: let’s get back to pies...
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

markjohnobrien wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 6:00pm According to the PGI status, a Cornish pasty should be shaped like a 'D' and crimped on one side, not on the top. Its ingredients should include beef, swede (called turnip in Cornwall), potato and onion, with a light seasoning of salt and pepper, keeping a chunky texture.
Main ingredients: A pastry case traditionally filled with beef skirt, potato, swede and ...
Region or state: Cornwall
Variations: Cheese and onion, cheese and potato
https://en.m.wikipedia.org › wiki

Thread drift: let’s get back to pies...
What's a pie then? :D
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

On the protected status of Cornish pasties, I'm reminded of a report for summons I had to check in the mid-1970s when somebody had been shooting at a bird in Leeds (on one of the tree-lined Victorian terraces off Chapeltown Road for any interested Leeds Loiners.) Challenged by some local worthy and told the bird was protected, the suspect replied "Nobody's protecting it round here" before firing again. I may only have remembered this because it stood out among the learners without 'L' plates etc.

Anyway, post Brexit, who's protecting Cornish pasties? It's hard to imagine any sort of export market.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

We are: GB still has the scheme, all existing PGI’s in Britain existing on 31 December 2020, have been incorporated into and under UK protection:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/protected-g ... gi-schemes

Not everything under EU auspices was bad😉 This was a great scheme and deserved to be continued.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

The answer to my question seems to be Product Authentication Inspectorate Limited which doesn't seem to have a website.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... gi-pdf.pdf