Who's had their second jab?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Jdsk

Re: Who's had their second jab?

Post by Jdsk »

I didn't look there!

Jonathan
peetee

Post by peetee »

slowster wrote: 18 May 2021, 5:45pm From NHS England twitter account:

https://twitter.com/NHSEngland/status/1 ... 7266203648
On Friday the government announced second dose appointments will be brought forward from 12 to 8 weeks for people aged 50+ who have not yet had theirs.

The NHS will contact you if your appointment needs to be moved, there’s no need to contact the NHS.
Now they you mention it, I’ve checked my old phone and I’ve had a text from the NHS. I have just followed the link and it is just the generic COVID page, not a specific link for eligible enquiries. I’m a bit reluctant to cancel my appointment when I don’t know for sure I can get an earlier one as the NHS seem to have me listed as high risk given the texts I have had in the past.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
pwa

Post by pwa »

My daughter, aged 22, had her first Pfizer jab yesterday. Wales is a bit ahead of the rest of the UK on vaccination, and our county is ahead of most of Wales.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-57156588
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

And my second jab's arriving on Friday :wink:

And I will be pleased; one of the bizarre realities about COVID locally, is that during lockdowns the local population hid away, aside from farmers and an occasional cyclist / walker, former foresterr like myself (Nb. Have to admit I took the viewpoint that a 50 mile ride, or 20 mile walk in absolutely empty countryside neither harmed myself, nor anyone else - definately had a few disapproving looks from a local officer or two).

But now that lockdowns over? I'm staying indoors, as the local population have headed into town. It's notable that in the course of 5 days, COVID rates locally have now more than trebled, being 3.5-3.7 times higher than at the peak of every lockdown. Forget about keeping space, washing hands, wearing masks......(Nb. Why are some people unable to think, rather than just doing what they're told :roll: )...
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I heard on R4 this morning that, contrary to what has been reported (and which I repeated earlier thread) the new Indian Variant outbreak areas do not have markedly lower vaccination stats than other areas. The issue is that this variant is currently spreading in that part of the population which is younger than the vaccination programme has yet reached.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

pwa wrote: 19 May 2021, 5:04am My daughter, aged 22, had her first Pfizer jab yesterday. Wales is a bit ahead of the rest of the UK on vaccination, and our county is ahead of most of Wales.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-57156588
My 2nd son 26 got a letter from the practice to say he should book jab but when he went to book the app told him he wasn't eligible and stopped the booking process. Nb I was at work when this all happened.

Mrs Cow got onto the practice and after a bit of sorting out she found it was because he'd ticked the box " have you had a letter from your practice to say your eligible " or words to that effect. ie he has been told to book the appointment but it's not with the practice but the box tick is meant to say it is with the practice so dumps you out cos it for mass jab centre.

Will try again today when he gets home.
I am here. Where are you?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Cowsham wrote: 19 May 2021, 9:34am My 2nd son 26 got a letter from the practice to say he should book jab but when he went to book the app told him he wasn't eligible and stopped the booking process. Nb I was at work when this all happened.

Mrs Cow got onto the practice and after a bit of sorting out she found it was because he'd ticked the box " have you had a letter from your practice to say your eligible " or words to that effect. ie he has been told to book the appointment but it's not with the practice but the box tick is meant to say it is with the practice so dumps you out cos it for mass jab centre.

I'm not sure what you're describing here. More, please.

The letter was from his general practice?

He was trying to use the national online booking process? Not something online provided by his general practice?

Which country?

Jonathan
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Jdsk wrote: 19 May 2021, 9:38am
Cowsham wrote: 19 May 2021, 9:34am My 2nd son 26 got a letter from the practice to say he should book jab but when he went to book the app told him he wasn't eligible and stopped the booking process. Nb I was at work when this all happened.

I'm not sure what you're describing here. More, please.

The letter was from his general practice?

He was trying to use the national online booking process? Not something online provided by his general practice?

Which country?

Jonathan
Northern Ireland -- letter from general practice -- but not to call him to get jab from them but to tell him he's eligible -- a bit confusing yes and wasn't very specific about who or where to go for the jab but it did look as if the practice were calling for him to get it from them. Reading it myself I could see it wasn't. The letter was only to say he was eligible since we have a CEV person in the family but very badly worded.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks.

If you think it could confuse others I suggest letting the local Public Health team know.

Jonathan
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Bonefishblues wrote: 19 May 2021, 7:56am I heard on R4 this morning that, contrary to what has been reported (and which I repeated earlier thread) the new Indian Variant outbreak areas do not have markedly lower vaccination stats than other areas. The issue is that this variant is currently spreading in that part of the population which is younger than the vaccination programme has yet reached.
Yep, so the response is to accelerate the program for people where it isn't spreading widely, and to continue relaxing restrictions. Any new form has the chance to rapidly become the dominant form in the country - and with the relaxation of rules that "rapidly" just gets faster.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Jdsk wrote: 19 May 2021, 9:56am Thanks.

If you think it could confuse others I suggest letting the local Public Health team know.

Jonathan
I agree -- the instruction should be clear and concise as this affects more than just the people vaccinated but specifically in this case a vulnerable person who can't be vaccinated "yet" because he is too young.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Bonefishblues wrote: 19 May 2021, 7:56am I heard on R4 this morning that, contrary to what has been reported (and which I repeated earlier thread) the new Indian Variant outbreak areas do not have markedly lower vaccination stats than other areas. The issue is that this variant is currently spreading in that part of the population which is younger than the vaccination programme has yet reached.
I think the case that younger population is suffering because they are not vaccinated is an assumption. Whilst it is true that they are not vaccinated, it is also the case that they are more likely to be in pubs, at work, in Primark, in the cinemas, mixing with others which would mean greater exposure risk and thus they are more likely to become infected. I seem to remember that the previous wave/surge started in younger generations (before anybody was vaccinated) and later spread to older generations.

Undoubtedly vaccination will be playing a part but my personal opinion is that it is far more complex with many factors and a very dangerous for authorities to assume that because it is currently in younger generations it will stay in younger generations.

Ian
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Psamathe wrote: 19 May 2021, 10:45am
I think the case that younger population is suffering because they are not vaccinated is an assumption. Whilst it is true that they are not vaccinated, it is also the case that they are more likely to be in pubs, at work, in Primark, in the cinemas, mixing with others which would mean greater exposure risk and thus they are more likely to become infected. I seem to remember that the previous wave/surge started in younger generations (before anybody was vaccinated) and later spread to older generations.

Undoubtedly vaccination will be playing a part but my personal opinion is that it is far more complex with many factors and a very dangerous for authorities to assume that because it is currently in younger generations it will stay in younger generations.

Ian
The discussion was led by the mathematician who had done a study on these New Variant areas to understand causality. Based on my assuming earlier reports of lower vaccination rates were accurate I came back to correct the record. It's worth a few minutes of your time (c7.20am on Today).
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Psamathe wrote: 19 May 2021, 10:45am

Ian
It has been proven without a shadow of doubt that the biggest factor in the spread of the virus is schools. Hundreds of families are mixing in one place day after day not just on a weekly pub / club visit. IOM track and trace proved that if you'd been following the covid briefings. A rich resource of info about the spread of covid was created from their data there.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Interesting report re: cases of Indian variant
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/bolton-covid-rates-indian-variant-b1849920.html wrote:Worryingly, too, the growing numbers are now beginning to translate into rising hospital admissions in Bolton itself.

Some 19 patients were being treated for Covid-19 at the Royal Bolton Hospital on Monday, according to health secretary Matt Hancock. Of those, five had been vaccinated once and one had been vaccinated twice, he said.
(although the actual numbers are statistically low).

which then goes on to point out what is maybe the biggest risk in all this
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/bolton-covid-rates-indian-variant-b1849920.html wrote:Scientists have already told prime minister Boris Johnson that he should not have gone ahead with the relaxation while so much uncertainty remained over both the transmission and mortality rates of the new variant.

However, the PM is facing warnings from Tory MPs including Sir Graham Brady, chairman of the 1922 committee of backbench MPs, not to delay the final step of lockdown lifting next month or lose support.
(Johnson more concerned about his backbenchers loving him than the good of the nation or listening to expert advisers).

Ian