Nurses Pay Award

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
tatanab

Re: Nurses Pay Award

Post by tatanab »

From my local MP
But Worcester MP Robin Walker argued: "It is one per cent on top of the rises already agreed, so the pay rise for a newly qualified nurse is eight per cent, for a newly trained doctor is 12 per cent. There are some big pay rises already agreed as part of the spending review, and already in place."
Syd

Post by Syd »

tatanab wrote:From my local MP
But Worcester MP Robin Walker argued: "It is one per cent on top of the rises already agreed, so the pay rise for a newly qualified nurse is eight per cent, for a newly trained doctor is 12 per cent. There are some big pay rises already agreed as part of the spending review, and already in place."

An MP spin on things without also stating that over half (52%) are top of their pay band and will only receive a 1% uplift.

I suspect his figures also include numbers from a three year pay agreement that ended in 2020.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I detect signs that Boris Johnson is wobbling over this.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

thirdcrank wrote:I detect signs that Boris Johnson is wobbling over this.

These days the one thing you can be confident about is that any announced policy will have a U-turn. Policies never happen as announced but U-turn before they get anywhere. All a bit daft really and maybe highlights the shortcomings of this Government - can get it right 1st time, can't think through anything properly, just bends with the winds of public opinion (no "difficult decisions); might as well have government by YouGov and TrustPilot.

Ian
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

In general, I think a willingness to change policy according to circumstances is not necessarily a bad thing

IIRC "You turn if you want to, but the lady's not for turning" marked a bit of a ... er ... turning point over this.

What happens now though, seems to be that policy announcements - often no more than leaks - are a test of wind direction.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

thirdcrank wrote:In general, I think a willingness to change policy according to circumstances is not necessarily a bad thing

IIRC "You turn if you want to, but the lady's not for turning" marked a bit of a ... er ... turning point over this.

What happens now though, seems to be that policy announcements - often no more than leaks - are a test of wind direction.

In general and to a limited degree I agree. I'd expect a Government to identify an issue, think through ways to address/improve things, come-up with a policy based on the best way forward and then implement that sensible well thought through policy. Of course occasionally the situation will change before the policy is implemented so then I agree, change the policy.

But at the moment under Johnson Gov. we are getting policies announced (e.g. Nurses 1% is not a leak but a Gov. submission to the Pay Review Board), nothing changes beyond vocal public opinion. How can the public really have any idea about what NHS pay rise should be - I'd expect most of us have no idea about pensions, holidays, comparable employment, prospects, in-built grade pay increases, etc. so how can "public opinion" be a justified way to set the pay rise?

Where there are changes to the situation whilst policies are being made or enacted, yes, adjust those policies but what seems to be happening all the time these days is Gov. does not think through it's policy, public outcry highlights shortcoming or disagreement so Johnson's "I just want to be loved" tendencies result is yet another U-turn. Does not make the U-turn wrong but highlights the incompetence of those making the policies.

Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

"Boris Johnson is facing renewed pressure to correct a false claim he made in parliament, after the Commons Speaker said such behaviour was “dishonourable”."
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/mar/11/pressure-grows-boris-johnson-correct-false-claim-nhs-pay-row

Jonathan
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Psamathe wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:I detect signs that Boris Johnson is wobbling over this.

These days the one thing you can be confident about is that any announced policy will have a U-turn. Policies never happen as announced but U-turn before they get anywhere. All a bit daft really and maybe highlights the shortcomings of this Government - can get it right 1st time, can't think through anything properly, just bends with the winds of public opinion (no "difficult decisions); might as well have government by YouGov and TrustPilot.

Ian

Of course - it's the classic gaslight - Here's a 1% rise.
That's ridiculous
Oh, alright here's a 2% rise.
Grumble, ok

As opposed to - Here's a 2% rise
That's ridiculous

It also neatly distracts from the rest of the budget, which was likely the point.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

Just remember, when you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed. :lol:
Syd

Nurses Pay Award

Post by Syd »

NHS staff on Bands 1 to 7 in Scotland to be given a 4% increase with those at the lower end being guaranteed a £1000 increase which is up to 5.4%.

Staff on higher bands to get a flat £800 which equates to a maximum of 1.6% and dropping off.
irc

Post by irc »

Syd wrote:NHS staff on Bands 1 to 7 in Scotland to be given a 4% increase with those at the lower end being guaranteed a £1000 increase which is up to 5.4%.

Staff on higher bands to get a flat £800 which equates to a maximum of 1.6% and dropping off.

Plus we have already had a £500 bonus this year. Is there an election soon?
Syd

Nurses Pay Award

Post by Syd »

irc wrote:
Syd wrote:NHS staff on Bands 1 to 7 in Scotland to be given a 4% increase with those at the lower end being guaranteed a £1000 increase which is up to 5.4%.

Plus we have already had a £500 bonus this year. Is there an election soon?

Indeed.

However yet another year of band compression between the lower and higher bands doesn’t sit well with those in that group. Admittedly this isn’t much in terms of voter numbers.
Last edited by Syd on 25 Mar 2021, 6:14am, edited 1 time in total.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Interesting that England is too poor to offer more than 1% but Scotland is willing to stump up 4%.
Maybe the Scottish nurses are more deserving?
Giving it just before an election is a smart move and counters the massive coverage of the Sturgeon enquiry somewhat.
Syd

Post by Syd »

So the GMB and RCN unions are urging members to reject the 4% offer in Scotland.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

I don't think rejecting the 4% offer will get a lot of support from the public.