iMac problem - replacement but not a computer?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Jdsk

Re: iMac problem - replacement but not a computer?

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote:The way the web browser works is very slow and as we have other devices for the internet, using the telly is a bit daft.

Yes, they're usually inferior to web browsers on 'phones, tablets and computers. And that's in addition to the absence of easy point and clicking.

The dedicated apps for eg Netflix and YouTube are usually better. But, as discussed above, they tend to deteriorate over time.

With your current configuration I don't think that you have any other options for easy 'net access on the big screen. But it's easy to add.

Jonathan
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Connected up a new TV aerial this morning.
The screen showed "No Signal Detected".

I went through the connections. The lead in the livingroom to the socket, the inline connector up it the loft, and the aerial junction box as well. No problems found. I even put a short on the junction box to see if I had continuity all the way. Yes, perfect.

Still the telly said no signal.
We can see the transmitter mast from the front of the house and the aerial is pointing straight at it. It's less than a mile away.

This Toshiba thingy may be a smart TV, but it ain't smart!
I worked through the settings on-screen buried in the menus, and told it to scan for signals. Why it doesn't do that for itself, I don't know.

So, after what felt like hours and hours of work, we now have so many channels to pick from it's silly.
In the pre-digital age, we had four channels ............. and there wasn't a lot on them even then! :lol:

Any road up, the TV licence people will be contacted soon.
Mick F. Cornwall
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Mick F wrote:Connected up a new TV aerial this morning.
The screen showed "No Signal Detected".

I went through the connections. The lead in the livingroom to the socket, the inline connector up it the loft, and the aerial junction box as well. No problems found. I even put a short on the junction box to see if I had continuity all the way. Yes, perfect.

Still the telly said no signal.
We can see the transmitter mast from the front of the house and the aerial is pointing straight at it. It's less than a mile away.

This Toshiba thingy may be a smart TV, but it ain't smart!
I worked through the settings on-screen buried in the menus, and told it to scan for signals. Why it doesn't do that for itself, I don't know.

So, after what felt like hours and hours of work, we now have so many channels to pick from it's silly.
In the pre-digital age, we had four channels ............. and there wasn't a lot on them even then! :lol:

Any road up, the TV licence people will be contacted soon.

You'll be carried shoulder-high through the streets of Cornwallcestershire by BBC and Capita people, I'm sure :lol:
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Jdsk wrote:
Mick F wrote:The way the web browser works is very slow and as we have other devices for the internet, using the telly is a bit daft.

Yes, they're usually inferior to web browsers on 'phones, tablets and computers. And that's in addition to the absence of easy point and clicking.

Jonathan

Dependent on make and model. Our LG has a 'Magic Mouse' built in to the remote. Shake the remote it wakes up along with a huge red pointer even I can see. :D Then you point and click.

Mick F wrote:This Toshiba thingy may be a smart TV, but it ain't smart!

If you had had the RF connected when you first switched it on I suspect it would have done it during setup. Yours is a bit dim though as when I made a rf connection to mine a week after installing a message came up ‘ new connection detected do you want to scan for programmes.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Read this thread and thought what a good idea so got a Synology DS220j with which I am very pleased. Thanks everybody :-)
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
rjb

Post by rjb »

If using the local repeater transmitter you won't get all the channels that you would from the main Caradon Hill one. Local repeater transmitters sometimes require your aerial to be turned vertical. :wink:
But you may be happy with the repeater as you don't get all the drosss offered by the main transmitter. :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Local knowledge eh?

Interesting fact.
Gunnislake was the last village in England, to be able to receive colour telly.

We used to live near the top of the hill in the Edwardian terrace. The chimney stacks had/have eight pots - four per house. Lounge, dining room, two main bedrooms. The stacks are quite big and high and the terrace is on a steep hill.
We were at No3 - third from the bottom - and we had a tall scaffolding pole strapped to the stack with the aerial pointing at Caradon Hill. Further up the terrace, the poles were shorter.

Then, in the early 1980s, they put a repeater transmitter on the promontory of the Devon bank that could see Caradon Hill, and was able to re-transmit to Gunnislake down in the deep valley. Some of the houses up the hill repositioned their aerials to point at the new repeater - ours as well. We moved there in 1985, and it was a new thing then. Since moved downhill to the village.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Just an update to our iMac problem.
Finally got round to checking on stuff and did a bit of a strip-down this morning.
I read this post and the best answer about the four LEDs.
https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/193 ... t+start+up

Not one LED lights up.
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+Intel ... LED's/7443
LED 1 - Indicates that the trickle voltage from the power supply is detected by the main logic board. This LED will remain ON while the iMac is connected to the AC power. The LED will remain on even when the computer has been shut down or put to sleep. The LED will turn off only if the AC power is disconnected or the power supply is faulty.
Therefore the PSU is kapput, time to find a computer repair place nearby. There's on in Callington a few miles from here, so I've emailed them to ask if they can do it.
Mick F. Cornwall
Syd

Post by Syd »

Just looked up the cost of a PSU for the A1224. Surprisingly expensive!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Found a couple of computer fixing companies locally, and emailed the same email to both of them.
Got one reply from Andy's Computers, Saltash.
https://www.andyscomputersplymouth.co.u ... er-repairs
iMac early 2008 EMC2134
Good morning.
We have the above iMac that is totally dead. I’ve had the front off and checked the four LEDs and not one is glowing despite AC power.
I understand that it’s probably the power supply unit that’s blown.
Can you investigate and/or replace the PSU and what does the service cost please?
We are in Gunnislake and can bring it in and collect.
Thank you, and regards,
Mick.
Good Morning
Thank you for your enquiry will price up new power supply as Apple no longer support that model so you will not be able to run latest OS.
Regards
Andy
Thanks for getting back to me.
The OS issue isn’t a problem at all. It’s on Sierra 10.12.6 I think, just like this MacBookAir i’m typing on right now. Sierra is fine and works with the programs I have. No complaints and no desire to upgrade the software.
The iMac has been working perfectly since we bought it except it needed a new HD some years ago. It was only when I unplugged it from the wall to move the cabinet on which it has stood since 2008 that it went wrong. Plugged back in and zilch.
Checking online about the possible fault revealed the issue of the LEDs of which I knew nothing about until then.
Looking forward to hearing from you and very much hope you can sort my beloved iMac out.
Best wishes,
Mick.
I await him getting back with the cost estimate.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Swapped another email or two with him, and this morning, we're driving to Saltash to drop it off with him.
Not sure what the cost is, as not sure that a power supply is even available.
Watched this iFixit movie this morning, and looked at the cost and (non)availability of a PSU.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEQ7_nw80DA
Looks easy enough to do.

https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Mac/iMac-I ... 69-002?o=1
Mick F. Cornwall
Syd

Post by Syd »

Couple on eBay at around £50 which is expensive for what it is.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yep.
Seen the secondhand stuff.

The iMac was delivered to Andy this morning. We used the 15mile each way journey so that on the way back we did B+M, Waitrose, our favourite butcher's and our favourite greengrocer's places at Carkeel.

We're leaving it with him to investigate do the job. It could be the main logic board and in which case, it could be a write-off or a DIY shot in the dark.

First question from him at his front door, was have we checked the mains plug and the fuse!
I had to confess that I'd checked them only this morning! :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Any news mick F?
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

philvantwo wrote: 19 May 2021, 12:20pm Any news mick F?
Leave him alone, he's busy

https://nothinginbiology.files.wordpres ... 10/doc.jpg