iMac problem - replacement but not a computer?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
simonineaston

Re: iMac problem - replacement but not a computer?

Post by simonineaston »

It can work... I've come to know that there are a handful of companies whose sizing policy appears to work well with my own plates, innit. An example is Brasher. Once I became confident that their products fitted me, I have bought several pairs of walking boots online, over the years, from this company (although the quality seems to be sliding gently down hill the farther the factory gets from us here in GB...) However, I readily admit that this process doesn't help if you don't know of a suitable manufacturer.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Heres my Brashers, a few years old. They dont leak but look whats happened. Off to the Cobblers with them... Googling reveals its quite a common problem apparently.

Brashers
Brashers

Al :(
Last edited by al_yrpal on 15 Mar 2021, 2:34pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
rjb

Post by rjb »

al_yrpal wrote:Heres my Brashers, a few years old. They dont leak but look whats happened. Off to the Cobblers with them...
Al :(

They're having a laugh. :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I'm on my last pair of Brasher Kube boots - I have lived in the 8 or so pairs I bought, incl close-out stock for upwards of 10 years :(
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

My feet fit into Asolo well.

But, I'm shocked about the price per mile when you look at better walking boots. Most walking sites seem to put wear at around 1000-1500 miles (depending on surface. So take the price and divide by miles and I find the price per mile something of a shock.

My own Asolo boots now have replaceable soles, except that was a minor update to the model and my ones are not replaceable so when the soles are finished it'll be a new pair (probably of the same again). Heavy but I have arthritis in my feet and they don't seem to aggravate that. I ended-up booking a fitting at Cotswold (years ago) and apparently Asolo are particularly narrow and match my feet.

Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Psamathe wrote:But, I'm shocked about the price per mile when you look at better walking boots. Most walking sites seem to put wear at around 1000-1500 miles (depending on surface. So take the price and divide by miles and I find the price per mile something of a shock.

Never calculated that, it should pass some time while we're walking. : - )

But I often calculate expenditure/ hr of pleasure. Restaurants high, cycling very low...

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

When I was diagnosed with diabetes and frightened witless by NHS staff, I settled on veldtschoen (sp?) footwear. There aren't many manufacturers but those I have dealt with are sound. ie consistent sizing and easy returns (free return label with invoice.) I don't buy stuff intending to send it back, but it seems to be a sign that online purchasers need to try on footwear for fit etc. No doubt some people abuse this but it must be cheaper for the vendors than chains of shops. Commando soles are not for ballroom dancing but that doesn't affect me these days

Nearly forgot, waterproof and ideal with a Mac + overtrousers or similar
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Yes, ease of returns is crucial.

I heard a couple of weeks ago about an online clothes retailer who sends out various sizes and the courier waits for immediate returns.

Jonathan

PS: I hadn't heard of Veldtschoen, seems to be a nonproprietary construction:
https://www.bradshawandlloyd.com/blog/what-is-veldtschoen-construction/
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Thread drift...from firmware and software to footware :lol: :lol: :lol:

Al (Crossing my fingers that Mick doesnt Hex me... :shock: )
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
RickH

Post by RickH »

Mick F wrote:As far as I'm concerned at this moment, is collecting it and setting it up on the Welsh dresser in the livingroom.
It will connect to the outside world via WiFi and our router.

When that's sorted, I'll try a 1Gb memory stick I've already formatted as FAT32 and recorded The Italian Job onto it.
HDMI cable is on a future shopping list as well as a hinged support bracket.

The Italian Job is in widescreen format, recorded from the DVD, and is 868.6Mb in size in MP4 format.
All our DVDs have been bought for peanuts from charity shops or been given to us. I've copied them, then donated them back to charity shops
I get the impression these days, that you can't give DVDs away now. Nobody really wants them any more.

I've never tried it but, my Plusnet router has a USB port. You can probably plug your media into that & access it on any device. You may need to change something in the router settings but it might do it automagically.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Our old Plusnet router had a USB connection, but not this one doesn't.

-------------------------------------

Any road up ...... telly home.
Mrs Mick F has two pairs of cheapy shoes from Asda and we have some greengrocery.

Telly was a big learning curve, and it isn't easy. Swapped video calls with nephew and Daughter2, plus FaceBook stuff from friends and relations.
Not easy to sort out - the telly, not the calls! - the menu options didn't make sense, and the unit froze a few times and the only way out was to switch off at the mains and back on. Still not found out how to do a factory reset to start again from scratch.

Eventually managed to connect to WiFi and work out how to access USB. We can watch Netflix and we can watch FAT32 USB.

Here's three shots of The Italian Job.
No explanations necessary, other than "You're only supposed the blow the bloody doors off!"
IMG_0459.jpg
IMG_0462.jpg
IMG_0463.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Why have you got a big black border top and bottom of the picture, and does that green light turn red when the TV licence detector van gets close?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by philvantwo on 15 Mar 2021, 9:25pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote:Still not found out how to do a factory reset to start again from scratch.

What happens when you try:

Installation Menu,
then:

Screenshot 2021-03-15 at 21.22.09.png

https://toshiba-tv.com//files/9-1-owners-manual-web-mb211s-rc42150-uk_5B440B291415.pdf

Jonathan
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Went through initial setup, but there seems no way back to it from then on.
There must be somewhere buried in the menu, but not found it yet. How can you reset everything if you sell the telly?
There must be a way, but not found it yet. It'll have to wait until tomorrow or later in the week.

Deleted The Italian Job, renamed the USB stick and loaded Benidorm Series One, Episode One.
That works too.
Next test is to put two things onto the stick to see if the telly will show and list and than play each of them on the same USB device.
If so, it's time to go the whole hog.

Meanwhile, Netflix works, and it recognises where we were up to next on what we were watching last.
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote:Went through initial setup, but there seems no way back to it from then.
There must be somewhere buried in the menu, but not found it yet. How can you reset everything if you sell the telly?

As above. Can you find Installation Menu? Does it offer First Time Installation"?

Jonathan