iMac problem - replacement but not a computer?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

iMac problem - replacement but not a computer?

Post by Mick F »

You wonderful people in CUK forum-land are ever-helpful and are always knowledgable. :D

We have an iMac in the livingroom that is rarely used for anything else but a screen for Netfix and DVDs and USB recorded stuff.
Can't remember when we last used it as a desktop computer.

I powered it down, disconnected it from the mains and the other gubbins, to clean up the corner of the room. It's probably not been powered down for 12months. All connected back up, power cable in, but nothing. Zilch. Zero. Nowt. Yes, there is power on the connector.
I reckon that there's a PRAM battery in there that could need replacing, or the main power supply module is kapput.

This is my question .....................
Is there a display thingy, 20odd inches, that'll take USB MP4 movies, access Netflix, and internet generally?
We don't want a telly, just a screen we can connect up our USB drives and connect our remote speakers to.

Does such a thing exist?
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Re: iMac problem - replacement but not a computer?

Post by Jdsk »

Do you want hints on resurrecting the existing iMac?

Jonathan
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, I do, but we have discussed the idea of relegating the old thing into the spare bedroom and having something "not computer" but fulfils the thing we usually use the iMac for. It's an elderly unit 2008 I think, could be 2006. I could check the serial number on the bottom and look it up.

Repairing it is desirable, but if we could have a "screen" in the livingroom and fix the iMac some other time. There's nothing on the HD that is precious, as I save everything to external drives.
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Here's the Apple Support page for the old iMac:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204267

What happens when you try that?

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote:Is there a display thingy, 20odd inches, that'll take USB MP4 movies, access Netflix, and internet generally?
We don't want a telly, just a screen we can connect up our USB drives and connect our remote speakers to.

When you say "internet" what would you like... only watching and listening, or web browsing/ email... things that use small text?

Jonathan
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

It's an Early 2008
Serial No.
IMG_0457.jpg

https://www.macupgrades.co.uk/store/ser ... 98LL-A#psu
Sounds like it may be worth putting in a new button-cell battery.

Meanwhile, my OP question still stands.
What can we replace our iMac with that'll just be a screen to access Netfix and USB external drives?

Don't want eMail, don't want web browsing, don't want word processing or any program.
We have all that on all our other devices.

Just want to watch movies and stuff we've recorded.
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote:Don't want eMail, don't want web browsing, don't want word processing or any program.
We have all that on all our other devices.

Just want to watch movies and stuff we've recorded.

If it can't be a TV or a smart TV or a computer how about an Apple TV connected to a monitor and a sound system?

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/buy-tv/apple-tv-hd/32gb
https://www.apple.com/uk/apple-tv-4k/

Jonathan
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Thanks for that, I'll check it out later.

Jdsk wrote:Here's the Apple Support page for the old iMac:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204267
What happens when you try that?
Sorry, missed that.
Yes, I've been surfing the Apple Support pages.
Useless - and have been for years. I've had some questions on there that haven't any replies.

In the old days in the RN, I was working on a video tape recorder, used for recording missile and gun aiming cameras. The unit packed up on a few functions, but the handbook was poor to say the least.

Got to the end of the faultfinding info/guide and it said - and I kid you not - "Call senior maintainer."
I was the senior maintainer! :lol:

Just like the Apple page.
"Contact Apple Support". :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Looked at AppleTV.
Not what we want.

How about a screen we could connect via USB or Bluetooth from any of our devices?
Two MacBooks (USB and Bluetooth), four different iPhones (Bluetooth) all connected by WiFi to our very fast broadband connection.

Any recommendations?
Just a quick Googling brings up all sorts of monitors but they seem to be more interested in gaming than just watching Netflix and DVDs, Youtube, and stuff we've recorded over the years.
Mick F. Cornwall
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

You could get a projector and a pull down projector screen, most projectors are compatible with laptops Mick F.
Ooooh you could put a sign up over your front door,

Welcome to...........Micks Flicks!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Mick F wrote:Looked at AppleTV.
Not what we want.

How about a screen we could connect via USB or Bluetooth from any of our devices?
Two MacBooks (USB and Bluetooth), four different iPhones (Bluetooth) all connected by WiFi to our very fast broadband connection.

Any recommendations?
Just a quick Googling brings up all sorts of monitors but they seem to be more interested in gaming than just watching Netflix and DVDs, Youtube, and stuff we've recorded over the years.

Why not pick up a 27" Mac with Retina (S/H) - it's be a good step up in terms of screen, and we've already established it'd last you donkey's

Alternatively, a 4K screen, size of your choosing, good refresh rate.
Last edited by Bonefishblues on 10 Mar 2021, 4:37pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Not what we want.

Perhaps you could explain why an Apple TV doesn't meet your needs... it would precisely allow you to throw from all of those devices to a monitor (or projector or TV).

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Bonefishblues wrote:
Not what we want.

Any recommendations?

Why not pick up a 27" Mac with Retina (S/H) - it's be a good step up in terms of screen, and we've already established it'd last you donkey's

Yes, that would work, but for some reasons neither computers nor TVs are the solution...

Jonathan
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Jdsk wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
Not what we want.

Any recommendations?

Yes, that would work, but for some reasons neither computers nor TVs are the solution...

Jonathan

Cracking screen on an iMac, and you get the computing for nowt (he types on an iMac) :)
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I don't know iMacs but I'd be cautions about spending much money based on an assumption it's a PRAM battery. I have a MacBook whose battery completely failed a couple of years ago - literally nothing, says 0% "Not Charging" and will only fire-up when connected to mains and immediately die the instant the mains is removed.

So in your case, is the "computer" bit not working or the "monitor bit" not working or both? If it's the PSU not working does that same PSU power both the processor/RAM/disk as well as the monitor? I don't know enough about iMac architecture so just raising concerns about throwing good money that ends-up not working because of assumptions.

Ian