Grumpy people on CTC Forum

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Si

Post by Si »

I think that Ian's pointless comment reflects David's previous remarks well: the fact that communication via the 'net is imbued with the possibility of misunderstanding.

Should we read it as Ian trying to make a jolly: portaying himself as a grumbler on a thread about grumblers, and thus inviting further merriment?

Should we read it as Ian just casting aspertions on other people's views: his remark an attempt to belittle others in an arrogant and dismissive one word judgement, and thus inviting a good kicking in return?

Should we read it as Ian saying something completely different?

No doubt it can be read in any number of ways and the lesson to be learned is that one should always strive to make one's meaning as clear as possible, and that on reading a comment that you might find objectionable you should ask for confirmation of the original poster's meaning before firing a return volley!
ianr1950

Post by ianr1950 »

I've found over a period of time that you get to find out those who can read between the lines and those who can't and those that don't want to. :evil:
Si

Post by Si »

Sorry did I miss some quotation marks out of my last post? :wink:
david143

Post by david143 »

ianr1950 wrote:I've found over a period of time that you get to find out those who can read between the lines and those who can't and those that don't want to. :evil:

Yes, and those that do read between the lines shouldn't because they invariably get it wrong.
david143

Post by david143 »

Si wrote:No doubt it can be read in any number of ways and the lesson to be learned is that one should always strive to make one's meaning as clear as possible, and that on reading a comment that you might find objectionable you should ask for confirmation of the original poster's meaning before firing a return volley!

There is that, and in a perfect world I would fully agree. However, nobody is perfect and I doubt if there is anyone who would not offend given the right topic and 'debate', and even asking for clarification is no guarantee of having things made clearer.

This is why we need you Si, to help us to keep things real every now and then :wink:
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Hmm been out at work all day, fascinating how these threads develop.

Going back tothe original comment I hope I manage to ignore poor grammar/misuse of their and there etc. Generally I spot grammar and spelling mistakes but try not to let them irritate me. I am annoyingly one of those who was top of my class in spellings etc., probably cos I was such a voracious reader. But I know brevity (writing nursing notes) and txt speak creeps in occasionally and often I write quickly as I think, so mistakes creep in to my own writings. Tis easy to cast the first stone..... :lol:
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
gaz

Post by gaz »

eileithyia wrote:Tis easy to cast the first stone..... :lol:

Welcome to the stoning, sorry - men only.
workhard

Post by workhard »

I've not been in this forum long but my pet peeves so far are grumpies who

say we need another world war to straighten us out
cast aspersions at people who live on council estates
blame things on overpopulation in the UK

as four gramma I fink it iz ovar rayted. sew long as yaw meenin getz a cross izent that wot materz not wot klasicysts to hundread yeers ago fort.

(Grade A English Language O level, class of '76!)

:wink:
mhara

Post by mhara »

What an odd thread this is.
:?
I think I much preferred the single pannier thread. That at least resolved one of the world's great mysteries.
andymiller

Re: re

Post by andymiller »

peter236uk wrote:I have friends that think cyclists are a pain in the <i>[rude word removed]</i> thats there point of view but does not make me dislike them.

'buttock' is a perfectly respectable and inoffensive word. Are you going to ban 'bum' as well?
andymiller

Post by andymiller »

OK clearly not.
lauriematt

Post by lauriematt »

i work with a 19year old lad...for some reason hes the most miserable grumpy b*****d ive ever known!!!

compare yourself to others who are worse off...then youll see youve got something to be happy about!

some people in the world are really ill, or really poor...or are starving...but all of them know that being grumpy wont help things!
WHAT DOESNT KILL YOU .... CAN ONLY MAKE YOU STRONGER
drossall

Post by drossall »

Surely the grammar comments are generally confined to threads on the topic. I haven't seen much evidence of people getting pernickety in general threads. If you aren't interested in grammar, join a different conversation :?:
ianr1950

Post by ianr1950 »

david143 wrote:
ianr1950 wrote:I've found over a period of time that you get to find out those who can read between the lines and those who can't and those that don't want to. :evil:

Yes, and those that do read between the lines shouldn't because they invariably get it wrong.

Really :lol:
david143

Post by david143 »

ianr1950 wrote:
david143 wrote:

Really :lol:

Yes. Nobody knows me here, so for others to try and read things I haven't even written is always going to be wrong. There is enough debate about getting understood with the words written, let alone those which aren't.