Happy Birthday! I think not...

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Psamathe

Re: Happy Birthday! I think not...

Post by Psamathe »

rmurphy195 wrote:
pwa wrote:I imagine Boris means that an enquiry should not happen yet, while we are busy with the pandemic, not that it shouldn't happen at all. It will happen. Nobody should be in any doubt about that. The only question is when. Opposition parties will want some conclusions before the next General Election.

Quite. There were calls from the media for an enquiry way back - at the time I took the view that like a big fire, the time to pick over the ashes and have the enquiry is when the fire has ended and the ashes are cool enough, not while the firemen are still trying to put it out. 3 months in I feel you could have said "If we'd done X differently or earlier, then Y wouldn't have happened". But then, maybe Z would have a few weeks later, and maybe Z would have been worse than Y.

And Covid is still buring, more brightly in some places than others.

The evidence of lessons learned is around us if we care to look. For example, the PPE issue where other countries got their oredrs in before the UK did. Now in France they seem to have a similar issue with orders for the vaccines - think back to the information given out at the briefings by Matt Hancock last summer, about having ordered doses for the vax in advance of its approval - had it not worked, then he would have been slagged-off for wasting money on something that didn't work. But the orders did go in early, and had he not done so then it would have been another PPE-like problem, which is what some EU countries now have.

The people who would carry out an inquiry are NOT necessarily those "putting out the fire" i.e. fireman can continue fighting the flames whilst others look into what they did wrong (so when the fire surges back they can fight it effectively without getting burnt to death).

Johnson, in response to specific questions has shown he does not have any idea about what he did wrong so should we start facing a 3rd wave (as he now says is quite possible) he will likely just make the same mistakes again and again many more will die and suffer devastating life impacts thanks to "our" failure to even try to learn from past mistakes.

People keep saying "not yet" but how long do we have to let Johnson keep making the same mistakes and thereby needlessly causing death and tragedy - all because he doesn't like an independent 3rd party assessing his decisions. All they have to do is chose e.g. a Judge who is not actively busy fighting the pandemic (I assume there must be a senior member of the judiciary not spending their working time fighting the pandemic), find some lawyers and legal experts who are not assigned to pandemic fighting ...

In my opinion Johnson is trying to wait until some degree of freedoms are returned so public perception will not judge his catestrophic mistakes so harshly. For those of us who have lost family members thanks to political stupidity - we don't have such short term memories.

Ian
JohnW

Re: Happy Birthday! I think not...

Post by JohnW »

kwackers wrote:..........I am in fact 60.........

Tha's nobbut a young 'un lad!
But beware - in a year's time you'll not be able to enjoy the decade following everyone over 60 being killed off............