Apple security problem! Patch your systems urgently

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Ride-sleep-repeat

Re: Apple security problem! Patch your systems urgently

Post by Ride-sleep-repeat »

Mick F wrote: 4 May 2021, 8:03pm
Ride-sleep-repeat wrote: 4 May 2021, 8:00pm £118 a month here.
That's a mortgage.
When.....in 1980 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I have a small(by todays standard) mortgage and mines over £400pcm.
Young 'uns at work are paying £1k+ :lol:
RickH

Post by RickH »

Patches for 2 more "zero day" vulnerabilities on iOS & iPadOS released yesterday.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212336
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Ride-sleep-repeat wrote: 4 May 2021, 8:07pm
Mick F wrote: 4 May 2021, 8:03pm
Ride-sleep-repeat wrote: 4 May 2021, 8:00pm £118 a month here.
That's a mortgage.
When.....in 1980 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I have a small(by todays standard) mortgage and mines over £400pcm.
Young 'uns at work are paying £1k+ :lol:
I was poking fun, but whilst on the subject .................

When we last had a mortgage, you took two naughts off the loan, and that's what you paid per month.

£30,000 mortgage we had then. Cost us £300 a month.

How much do people have as mortgages these days? £300,000 perhaps?
That's £3,000 per month at the rate we were paying in the 80s and 90s. :shock:
Mick F. Cornwall
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Interest rates aren’t what they were...

300k won’t be costing much over £1k5
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Apart from steadily improving cameras, what's so much better about recent mobile phones?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

The following is off the top of my head.

I'm not saying that any of these are what any individual wants, or would find cost-effective. And I don't expect it to deter The Three Solipsists from responding on those lines.

But here goes:

Better cameras (as you say) and better image processing
Higher ratio of screen area to total area
Better display quality
Stronger glass
Better networking including 5G and UWB
Alternative recognition systems, including fingerprints and faces
Voice activation and response
Lower power consumption
Better battery energy storage density
Wireless charging
Use as input devices eg iPhones on Macs
(Faster processors supporting some of the above and many other OS improvements)

Jonathan
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

thirdcrank wrote: 5 May 2021, 7:15am Apart from steadily improving cameras, what's so much better about recent mobile phones?
For my uses: e.g.
  • Screen size & quality (for e.g. mapping)
  • Storage (for photo upload whilst travelling, mapping, music)
  • BLE for communications with GPS, audio
  • Processors (image processing/display/audio analysis (as a bat detector))
  • Better GPS
  • etc.
I rarely use the camera on my phone. When travelling I used it a couple of times because phone waterproof, camera not waterproof (in heavy rain). Otherwise camera on phone only used for scanning documents or e.g. recording the way something was before making changes (so it can be put back if need be) - so for me a better camera irrelevant.

Some of those might seem weird but they open up the utility of the phone massively for me e.g. I plug a special audio microphone into the phone and run bat echo pulse detection software so it all listens, detects records bat pulses, analyses them and identifies the type of bat (or gives you the choice f a couple of possibilities) all in real-time as you (often) are watching the bat fly around.

But people probably use their phones for many different things so for some there will be fewer benefits with more recent devices

Ian
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
The other day I was out side in bright sunlight on the moors.
I accidentally swiped the brightness down to 0 on the slider, that you can access from swipe in the bottom of the screen.

Unfortunately after then the screen wouldn't auto adjust for the light conditions.
I tried several times knowing where the slider was but not being able to see it.
Turn the phone on and off but that still didn't work.
I could barely get the passcode in before the screen went blank again.
The phone was working but I just simply couldn't see the screen.
Works okay now but that's what happens with mobile phones.
It be pretty useless if you did that on you and you couldn't restore the brightness of the screen.
I normally always take 99.9% my second mobile phone with me when I go out.
That day I didn't bother.
Oh I had my map and compass and me whistle :mrgreen:

P.S. I did eventually get phone to work by constantly swiping the screen where I knew the brightness slider was eventually about an hour later I hit the right spot, Well that's what I thought maybe it just started to work again or I mean maybe I could access the slider where before it made no difference what so ever.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

thirdcrank wrote: 5 May 2021, 7:15am Apart from steadily improving cameras, what's so much better about recent mobile phones?
Jdsk wrote: 5 May 2021, 8:36amVoice activation and response
So on an iPhone I've just repeated that screen blackening. Then activated Siri and said "Increase brightness"...

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I only asked because I made the leap to a 5C in 2014 when what I had before became inadequate - largely because I couldn't always hear the ringer. Of course, you don't always know what your missing but the only thing I seem to be missing for sure is that the app for my online bank account needs a higher spec phone than mine. My next big leap is that one of my grandsons is approaching his thirteenth birthday and I'm going to be inheriting his phone which is some version of a 7.

I thought we'd been down the bigger screen route with the 6. Going back perhaps six years I to the days when I collected grandchildren from primary school and took them to the nearby playground, some of the posers walked around in there with a phone the size of a papeback book stuck under their chin.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Big screens are much more important if you don't have anything bigger back at home...

Jonathan
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Of if you have any vision deficiency...

Last upgrade was to move to faceID, because wheelchair gloves and touchID aren’t very compatible.
The next family upgrade (probably next year) will kick a 5S out at the bottom of the family tech tree.

Most improvements are incremental year on year, but the change is quite pronounced if you skip a few generations (generally the wife I alternate upgrades, and do so about every 18-24 months, with the lower phones passed down through the offspring all the way to the one in the spares drawer).

The UWB comma is an interesting addition, if only you could set an air tag into “I’m firmly attached to a device as a theft tracker” mode...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I can see the incremental thing and I can see it's part - a substantial part - of marketing strategy. It's not markedly different from cars or cycles. A combination of measurably better and different. Many of the expressions used in a thread like this are meaningless to me, partly because they are not intended to be clear, but part of the lingo which makes them attractive to some people.

I do my best to keep up, if only to avoid being left behind. But the possession of the very latest thing for its own sake means nothing to me. I'm fortunate that if I wanted I could order a couple of the poshest phones available - his'n'hers - and pay upfront without blinking, but I can only do so because I've avoided acting like that over the years.

I can also see that different people have different uses for phones which exploit their different features but I'm mainly interested in being able to contact my contacts. I have adapted to various things like some people no longer planning anything. Also, as I mentioned earlier, some important things like the bank assume ownership of a certain level of phone. So, it's a matter for me of deciding what might be useful for me. eg a compass on a phone is a wonder to behold but not something I use.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Jdsk wrote: 5 May 2021, 12:07pm
Jdsk wrote: 5 May 2021, 8:36amVoice activation and response
So on an iPhone I've just repeated that screen blackening. Then activated Siri and said "Increase brightness"...

Jonathan
Yes that's useful.
Despite the fact that I managed eventually to get the screen to come back by fumbling in the dark, I think there was something else going on with the phone at the time.
A bit like phone freeze, that still seems to happen today a bit like computers still do.
Thanks
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Compass on a phone is there because the hardware already providing additional input for navigation, which a lot of people use heavily. I never use in car navigation, have used the phone instead for years now...

So yes it’s a gimmick, but it’s not one that adds to the cost of the device. Same with a phone “spirit level”, the accelerometers already exist for other functions, so it’s a bonus.

I don’t generally get the current version of phone, but sometimes it has something compelling.
My replacement cycle has five phones in the house (including the spare in a drawer), so the replacements have to happen reasonably frequently. Just glad we get proper OS support for enough time to cover the reasonable life of the product. The 5S is still operational.