Apple security problem! Patch your systems urgently

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mjr

Re: Apple security problem! Patch your systems urgently

Post by mjr »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Really? - the S4 (as far as I can tell) is still back on Android 5.0.1 at the latest, which is 2014 vintage - and nothing before 8 was receiving updates last year.

Not counting custom ROMs here for obvious reasons.

The S4 is still supported in AOSP trees and there are finished updates for download, as far as I could tell, but it must be near its end now because it probably hasn't a current hardware abstraction layer.

Not counting the manufacturer custom ROMs is fine by me but it seems a bit unfair when that's a top way to get a secure phone you can trust. What's the obvious reason? Is it because iPhones don't have any choice of firmware? It's Apple and bust?

Samsung recently mad a song and dance about moving to giving four years of support on new phones:
https://www.theregister.com/2021/02/23/ ... nt_you_to/

That doesn't tally with your assertion that you already have 8 years of supported updates from your S4.

Ah the actual S4 here is no longer updating after a forceful meeting with a set of railings!

Samsung probably made a song and dance because they've been fabulously inconsistent, with the S5 and S6 getting no updates for a while now, so you had to be choosy or lucky, which isn't great.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

kwackers wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:No individual bit might be considered private on it's own, but the aggregation of data - that's a different matter.

I agree about the aggregate but that's gov level surveillance rather than phone hacking and if the gov are making the effort to keep an eye on me then I'm done for anyway.
At some level you simply have to trust them (to a degree) - if I didn't I'd make a lot more effort to be anonymous.

Nope, it’s advertising companies - particularly the ones you don’t know of.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

mjr wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:Really? - the S4 (as far as I can tell) is still back on Android 5.0.1 at the latest, which is 2014 vintage - and nothing before 8 was receiving updates last year.

Not counting custom ROMs here for obvious reasons.

The S4 is still supported in AOSP trees and there are finished updates for download, as far as I could tell, but it must be near its end now because it probably hasn't a current hardware abstraction layer.

Not counting the manufacturer custom ROMs is fine by me but it seems a bit unfair when that's a top way to get a secure phone you can trust. What's the obvious reason? Is it because iPhones don't have any choice of firmware? It's Apple and bust?

Samsung recently mad a song and dance about moving to giving four years of support on new phones:
https://www.theregister.com/2021/02/23/ ... nt_you_to/

That doesn't tally with your assertion that you already have 8 years of supported updates from your S4.

Ah the actual S4 here is no longer updating after a forceful meeting with a set of railings!

Samsung probably made a song and dance because they've been fabulously inconsistent, with the S5 and S6 getting no updates for a while now, so you had to be choosy or lucky, which isn't great.

Not counting custom ROMs like cyanogen, or anything that requires installing a ROM other than that which the phone came with it was an officially supported (preferably OTA) upgrade.
Because expecting people to put anything else on a phone is just unrealistic. I, for the same reason, exclude the various custom iPhone ROMs which are available

So AOSP... on my list of excluded roms. I’m talking about manufacturer support here, not the fantastic job the open source community manage to do.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Nope, it’s advertising companies - particularly the ones you don’t know of.

I don't care about advertising companies though, they'd need to be trying to sell me something I wanted and even if something was brought to the forefront of my brain I always research them anyway and invariably find something better/cheaper elsewhere.

When we're discussing aggregate then to me that's data that mostly doesn't exist on my phone but is held externally and as a rule most of that requires a hack to get hold of and the chances of someone successfully hacking all of the servers where it's stored is so small as to be zero.
Hence why my only concern is actually one of a dodgy government.
mjr

Post by mjr »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Not counting custom ROMs like cyanogen, or anything that requires installing a ROM other than that which the phone came with it was an officially supported (preferably OTA) upgrade.
Because expecting people to put anything else on a phone is just unrealistic.

Have Apple really paid the carriers to put all those updates out OTA?

I've not seen an OTA update for years. Recent updates have all been phone auto-updates over wifi or mobile data at best, and dock the phone to a computer running the manufacturer's backup/upgrade app at worst.
I, for the same reason, exclude the various custom iPhone ROMs which are available

Don't you still have to jump through a lot of hoops to install a custom iPhone ROM? It's not like Android where you plug the phone into the computer running the installer and switch it on while holding a volume button.

So AOSP... on my list of excluded roms. I’m talking about manufacturer support here, not the fantastic job the open source community manage to do.

AOSP is manufacturer support, especially Google, but also some others. Some manufacturers just make it harder not to use their custom ROM of it than others.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

All apple updates are available OTA (assuming you have some space left on your device), generally happening whilst the user is asleep (either automatically or as a result of a “do you want to update overnight” prompt.

Reflashing a phone is beyond the vast majority of people, which is why I excluded it from all devices (iPhone and Android). I know it’s not difficult, but I also know it’s beyond most people.

Samsung didn’t support the G4 for more than a year as far as I can tell, in line with most android manufacturers...
https://9to5google.com/2021/02/22/comme ... gle-pixel/
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I see 14.5 is out.
Supposedly fixes 50 security problems.
And 15 is on its way come in the fall.

Unfortunately 15 is only for iPhone 7 upwards :(
I don't particularly want a bigger phone than the five package I already have.
Ho-hum
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Thanks.
Just uploading 14.5 to my iPhone 6s.
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 30 Apr 2021, 7:21pmUnfortunately 15 is only for iPhone 7 upwards
I think that's only a rumour, and is likely to remain so until 7 June.
NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 30 Apr 2021, 7:21pmI don't particularly want a bigger phone than the five package I already have.
An SE is only slightly bigger. We bought one recently, and would do the same again.

Jonathan
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

5c is my favourite, and still have it and often fit my SIM into it.
Nice small phone and fits in a pocket beautifully.
Trouble is, it's not supported and the software is way out of date.

Happy with my 6s, but it's a bit big.
Give me an iPhone same size as my 5c and as supported as my 6s is, and I'd buy one like a shot.
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 30 Apr 2021, 8:26pm5c is my favourite...

... Trouble is, it's not supported and the software is way out of date.
Presumably on 10.3.3 already?

What can't that do?

Thanks

Jonathan
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Jdsk wrote: 29 Mar 2021, 11:30am
PDQ Mobile wrote:I only accept cookies when I so choose and from trusted sites.
(To top up using a voucher for example.)
And I always delete them straightaway.
Understanding cookies and how to manage them is an important part of the greater awareness that I'd like to see.

Jonathan
Agree re cookies: I never click accept all and always decline and/or look through the options and say no.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Jdsk wrote: 30 Apr 2021, 8:31pm
Mick F wrote: 30 Apr 2021, 8:26pm5c is my favourite...

... Trouble is, it's not supported and the software is way out of date.
Presumably on 10.3.3 already?

What can't that do?

Thanks

Jonathan
Without switching it on an booting it up with my SIM ............
I'm not really sure about much of it, but one thing very important to us, is sharing our locations.
6s does it, but 5c doesn't.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Mick F. Cornwall
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Mick F wrote: 30 Apr 2021, 8:26pm Give me an iPhone same size as my 5c and as supported as my 6s is, and I'd buy one like a shot.
The 12 mini is the smallest now. Even the new SE is bigger than my original SE.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 30 Apr 2021, 8:39pmI'm not really sure about much of it, but one thing very important to us, is sharing our locations.
6s does it, but 5c doesn't.
Is this a reference to:

iOS 10.3.4 addresses an issue that could impact GPS location performance and could cause system date and time to be incorrect. This update is recommended for all users.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208011

10.3.4[g] 14G61 July 22, 2019 Fixes an issue that would prevent cellular devices from maintaining an accurate GPS position after November 3, 2019
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_10

Jonathan