Apple security problem! Patch your systems urgently

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Apple security problem! Patch your systems urgently

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I'm sure I'me not the only one who has to read this more than once to understand what's really going on :?
7BDE6783-528B-4B4E-8FD9-E0646ECEAA1A.png
98445ED2-39CF-4C62-A627-DDFFE2CACD50.jpeg
P.S.–
Don't forget to update to 14.5 .1!
https://www.macrumors.com/2021/05/03/ap ... os-14-5-1/
"This update fixes an issue with App Tracking Transparency where some users who previously disabled Allow Apps to Request to Track in Settings may not receive prompts from apps after re-enabling it. This update also provides important security updates and is recommended for all users."
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Ride-sleep-repeat wrote: 1 May 2021, 2:06pm Are phones bigger......or pockets smaller :|
Phones bigger. It is very difficult to find a 3.5" smartphone any more. No idea if iphones were ever that small.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

mjr wrote: 4 May 2021, 2:30pm
Ride-sleep-repeat wrote: 1 May 2021, 2:06pm Are phones bigger......or pockets smaller :|
Phones bigger. It is very difficult to find a 3.5" smartphone any more. No idea if iphones were ever that small.
Diagonal screen-size?

iPhone 5 is 4" screen diagonal. Device is 60mm wide and 125mm long. Sorry for mixing imperial and metric.
iPhone 6 is 4.75" screen diagonal. Device is 65mm wide and 137mm long.

Just measured mine.
Mick F. Cornwall
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Mick F wrote: 4 May 2021, 3:02pm ...
iPhone 5 is 4" screen diagonal. Device is 60mm wide and 125mm long. Sorry for mixing imperial and metric.
iPhone 6 is 4.75" screen diagonal. Device is 65mm wide and 137mm long.

Just measured mine.
But then the 12 mini is smaller than the 6 but has a screen diagonal of 5.4"

Ian
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mick F. Cornwall
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I wasn't suggesting you buy one, just pointing out that screen sizes and physical sizes are "evolving".

But, if you purchase phones (as I do) rather than using network monthly subscription, then always think about what can happen to your old phone. They don't need to go into a cupboard until the next clear-out. I got a significant amount trade-in on my 12 mini (from Apple) that accounted for a significant portion of the cost (even though the battery was so bad they were legally unable to send it anywhere!).

(My trade-in on a much older X was a lot more than your link is offering for trade-in on a 12 mini!).

Ian
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Ok, I can see that as an argument, but my 6s cost £100 and is fine for the time being.
The 5c is a better phone - as I've said - but unsupported. Eventually the 6s will be unsupported.

Meanwhile, the 12 mini will drop in price, and no doubt I'll be tempted.
It would take two things to tempt me:
One, the 6s to be unsupported enough to make a difference to me. That could take years.
Two, the 12 mini to drop to £100 ish or so. Take could take fewer years.
Mick F. Cornwall
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Mick F wrote: 4 May 2021, 3:31pm Ok, I can see that as an argument, but my 6s cost £100 and is fine for the time being.
The 5c is a better phone - as I've said - but unsupported. Eventually the 6s will be unsupported.

Meanwhile, the 12 mini will drop in price, and no doubt I'll be tempted.
It would take two things to tempt me:
One, the 6s to be unsupported enough to make a difference to me. That could take years.
Two, the 12 mini to drop to £100 ish or so. Take could take fewer years.
It becomes a difficult balance as, whilst over time the 12 mini (or any more recent model) will drop in price, so also the time it will be supported for decreases - i.e. you are spending less but for something that wont last as long.

Ian
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Just checked on Apple Store.
They'll give me £50 for my 6s, so the price of a brand new 12 Mini drops to £649.
Tempting?

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/buy-iphone/iphone-12
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

PS.

CEX will give me £60 for my Rose Gold mint condition 64gb iPhone 6s.
https://uk.webuy.com/product-detail?id= ... unlocked-b

Only paid £100 for it two or three years ago.
Mick F. Cornwall
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

How anyone can spend £100s on a phone beats me. Paid £100 new for my newish Oppo A5 and £10 a month for unlimited calls? I use it all the time, plenty of pictures too. Son in law spends £70 a month on his iPhone 11, thats £840 per annum!

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

al_yrpal wrote: 4 May 2021, 5:02pm How anyone can spend £100s on a phone beats me. Paid £100 new for my newish Oppo A5 and £10 a month for unlimited calls? I use it all the time, plenty of pictures too. Son in law spends £70 a month on his iPhone 11, thats £840 per annum!

Al
The subscription vs outright purchase is different for different people. I tend to keep each phone for a long time and have negotiate a good deal on a SIM only contract plus my circumstances so for me it makes sense for me to purchase a phone outright. Being rural network coverage and functionality is also a major consideration. For others here are different aspects of differing importance so monthly subscriptions have their place. Not a one size fits all.

Ian
Syd

Post by Syd »

al_yrpal wrote:How anyone can spend £100s on a phone beats me. Paid £100 new for my newish Oppo A5 and £10 a month for unlimited calls? I use it all the time, plenty of pictures too. Son in law spends £70 a month on his iPhone 11, thats £840 per annum!

Al
That’s because he’s buying the phone over the term of him contract.

I buy my phones outright (iPhone 12 pro @ £999) then add a SIM only contract for a few quid. Keep the phone for a year or two then sell it. iPhones up to 2 years old hold their value well.
Ride-sleep-repeat

Post by Ride-sleep-repeat »

al_yrpal wrote: 4 May 2021, 5:02pm How anyone can spend £100s on a phone beats me. Paid £100 new for my newish Oppo A5 and £10 a month for unlimited calls? I use it all the time, plenty of pictures too. Son in law spends £70 a month on his iPhone 11, thats £840 per annum!

Al
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
£118 a month here.
For:-
iPhone 11 pro unlimited data,calls and text
Apple watch unlimited data,calls and text
Plus 2 extra Sims with unlimited data,calls and text for my wife and son.
I get a new iPhone every 18 months and pass mine onto my son.We then sell his.He'll have an iPhone XR to sell soon when he inherits my 11pro.
I did the same with my daughter before she turned 18.TBH I don't think about the monthly fee anymore and we've always done OK selling on 4/5/6/7s etc.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Ride-sleep-repeat wrote: 4 May 2021, 8:00pm £118 a month here.
That's a mortgage.
Mick F. Cornwall