Capitalism to thank for the Vaccine program

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
pete75

Capitalism to thank for the Vaccine program

Post by pete75 »

Capitalism to thank for the Vaccine program or so Johnson claims, that along with greed. He seems to be forgetting the vaccines were developed in publicly funded labs and universities with governments funding almost all the costs, vaccines ordered and paid for by governments. In this country the vaccine roll out is organised and run by the NHS rather than one of his chums being given much money to screw it up. Many of the staff in the vaccine centres are unpaid volunteers doing the work out of a sense of altruism, the very antithesis of capitalism.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Psamathe

Re: Capitalism to thank for the Vaccine program

Post by Psamathe »

I took Johnson's comment as just him playing the buffoon (again) and not thinking (again). It did provide the EU "ammunition" in their PR vaccine war - which makes it a daft thing for Johnson to have done (certainly not in UK's interests) - but that is what he does. I'm now coming to the view that UK voted for him so UK deserves what it chose; just the lies and deception and corruption concern me (e.g. (alleged) preferential access to public funds being passed to the woman he's currently having an affair with).

Ian
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Far be it from me to play the 'Evangelical' card here, but isn't 'Greed' one of the Seven Deadly Sins?

Along with Pride, Wrath, Lust, Envy, Gluttony, and Sloth. And it seems to me that BoJo has crossed a line in most of those. Perhaps sin is a virtue as far as this present Government's concerned...?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I think most successful politicians of any colour will have committed one or more of those sins. You don't think Corbyn and cronies weren't guilty of pride when they refused to accept the anti semitism problem the party had when he led it. I'm sure they've committed other sins too. If religious sins were so bad then why do we as a species so widely exhibit them?

As to confusing medical research and NHS roll out of a medical treatment program, well you should have stopped at state funding of the vaccine development. It's always been the case state, as in universities and the teaching/research hospitals, and public sector pharmacy companies working together on treatments. This case they got a bit more state money to rush things through i guess. A good effort all round imho whether mostly state or private sector.

Boris is just Boris though. A person completely unsuitable for public office. If you want to keep picking him up on every cockup he makes then keep on wasting your time, if that gives you pleasure. I find it more productive to assume he messes up then just highlight the rare occasions he doesn't. Like trump went, both him and Bolsanaro will go sooner or later. Then we can pick up the pieces.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Tangled Metal wrote:I think most successful politicians of any colour will have committed one or more of those sins. You don't think Corbyn and cronies weren't guilty of pride when they refused to accept the anti semitism problem the party had when he led it. I'm sure they've committed other sins too. If religious sins were so bad then why do we as a species so widely exhibit them?

As to confusing medical research and NHS roll out of a medical treatment program, well you should have stopped at state funding of the vaccine development. It's always been the case state, as in universities and the teaching/research hospitals, and public sector pharmacy companies working together on treatments. This case they got a bit more state money to rush things through i guess. A good effort all round imho whether mostly state or private sector.

Boris is just Boris though. A person completely unsuitable for public office. If you want to keep picking him up on every cockup he makes then keep on wasting your time, if that gives you pleasure. I find it more productive to assume he messes up then just highlight the rare occasions he doesn't. Like trump went, both him and Bolsanaro will go sooner or later. Then we can pick up the pieces.

I'm not confusing them - I was talking about the vaccine program which includes both development and delivery. It needs both.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

Tangled Metal wrote:As to confusing medical research and NHS roll out of a medical treatment program, well you should have stopped at state funding of the vaccine development. It's always been the case state, as in universities and the teaching/research hospitals, and public sector pharmacy companies working together on treatments.
My emphasis.

I'm confused. Are there any "public sector pharmacy companies"? If there are, I'm certainly not aware of any involved in the Covid vaccine programme. The usual meaning of "public sector" is:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_sector

Companies like AstraZeneca are joint stock companies. I should know, I hold AZ stock.

Do you perhaps mean publicly quoted companies, where it is possible to buy shares in that company on a stock market (like AstraZeneca (LSE:AZN)):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_company#:~:text=A%20public%20company%2C%20publicly%20traded,over%2Dthe%2Dcounter%20markets.

as opposed to private companies, where the general public is unable to buy shares.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I'm now coming to the view that UK voted for him so UK deserves what it chose
It's a sobering thought that enough of the electorate approve of these venal, self-serving libertarians not only to have voted them in, but to maintain a healthy lead over the Labour party, even after the monumental cluster-[rude bit omitted] that's been their dealing with Covid. (see here for a really depressing read), with them dishing out billions of our money to their useless chums (as if they needed it - they all already multi-millionaires!!) while at the same time offering the folks on benefit twenty quid "uplift" - except if you're disabled, in which case you get sfa!! Not to mention the slow reveal of exactly how huge a cluster-[rude word omitted again] is the withdrawal from the EU, with the first and second sights revealing that it's lose, lose, lose with even the most adept & slippery-tongued liars (Govey - I'm thinking of you!!) hard put to think of any "good news"!!
What's even more depressing than their being power is that nobody seems to mind!!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

661-Pete wrote:Far be it from me to play the 'Evangelical' card here, but isn't 'Greed' one of the Seven Deadly Sins?

Along with Pride, Wrath, Lust, Envy, Gluttony, and Sloth. And it seems to me that BoJo has crossed a line in most of those. Perhaps sin is a virtue as far as this present Government's concerned...?

You missed one sin Pete....promoting Brexit! :lol:

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

al_yrpal wrote:
You missed one sin Pete....promoting Brexit! :lol:

Al

That usually comes under greed.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

al_yrpal wrote:You missed one sin Pete....promoting Brexit! :lol:
Ah! I reckon that comes under the Ten Commandments:
Thou shalt not bear False Witness against thy Neighbour, nor paint it on the side of thine Omnibus.
But in addition there's:
Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's stocks of Astra-Zeneca, Pfizer, et al....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

The commandments were apparently on tablets of stone to prevent rewriting cp the barn in Animal Farm and some of the ideology on here.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I thought the whole point of the barn in Animal Farm was that the creed was continually being rewritten. Didn't it end up simply as:
"All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others"?
Sounds very like Boris's ideology....
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

661-Pete wrote:I thought the whole point of the barn in Animal Farm was that the creed was continually being rewritten. Didn't it end up simply as:
"All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others"?....

That's the point I was trying to make about ideology on here.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

mikeymo wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:As to confusing medical research and NHS roll out of a medical treatment program, well you should have stopped at state funding of the vaccine development. It's always been the case state, as in universities and the teaching/research hospitals, and public sector pharmacy companies working together on treatments.
My emphasis.

I'm confused. Are there any "public sector pharmacy companies"? If there are, I'm certainly not aware of any involved in the Covid vaccine programme. The usual meaning of "public sector" is:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_sector

Companies like AstraZeneca are joint stock companies. I should know, I hold AZ stock.

Do you perhaps mean publicly quoted companies, where it is possible to buy shares in that company on a stock market (like AstraZeneca (LSE:AZN)):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_company#:~:text=A%20public%20company%2C%20publicly%20traded,over%2Dthe%2Dcounter%20markets.

as opposed to private companies, where the general public is unable to buy shares.

I have no idea how private sector changed to public sector. Weird! My phone has been playing up of late with the touch screen keyboard having a life of its own. I meant private sector as opposed to public sector, state funded public services. Hopefully that clarifies that sentence for you.
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Maybe you lot should go and live in North Korea?