Henry Marsh, neurosurgeon, author and cyclist calls for assisted dying inquiry.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Henry Marsh has written two very interesting books about his profession, Do No Harm and Admissions, in one he admits to having taken advantage of his job to collect a suicide kit.

He is a cyclist and helmet sceptic who rides in a cowboy hat.

One of the UK's leading brain surgeons, who has advanced prostate cancer, has said an inquiry into assisted dying is "absolutely essential".

Henry Marsh, a retired neurosurgeon and bestselling author, received his diagnosis six months ago.

He has supported a call by politicians for the government to hold an inquiry.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56597771

Henry Marsh, who works at St George’s Hospital in Tooting, London, said he has treated a number of patients involved in bike accidents whose helmets were “too flimsy” to provide any real protection, The Telegraph reported.

Speaking at the Hay Festival alongside Ian McEwan, whose novel Saturday pivots on the life of a neurosurgeon, Dr Marsh went on to say that wearing a helmet could actually pose greater risks to cyclists than not wearing one at all.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/cycle-helmets-don-t-provide-protection-says-neurosurgeon-9465257.html

He is clearly an interesting character and I found his books fascinating and revealing.

I expect I have posted this in the wrong sub-forum, so please move it.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
simonineaston

Re: Henry Marsh, neurosurgeon, author and cyclist calls for assisted dying inquiry.

Post by simonineaston »

He sounds like one of those persons who thinks for himself. I can see why someone like that might wish to avoid the consequences of his diagnosis... I hope all goes well for him - or as well as is humanly possible...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Jdsk

Re: Henry Marsh, neurosurgeon, author and cyclist calls for assisted dying inquiry.

Post by Jdsk »

I enjoy his writing.

This is a timely reminder to plan how you want to be cared for and how you want to die. And then make sure that those close to you know and understand your wishes. And that you've done the necessary bumf. Don't put it off.

Getting this right (or wrong) affects many people. "Assisted dying" very few.

Jonathan

PS: What do people think it means when a newspaper uses "leading" to describe a doctor?
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Jdsk wrote:I enjoy his writing.

This is a timely reminder to plan how you want to be cared for and how you want to die. And then make sure that those close to you know and understand your wishes. And that you've done the necessary bumf. Don't put it off.

Getting this right (or wrong) affects many people. "Assisted dying" very few.

Jonathan

PS: What do people think it means when a newspaper uses "leading" to describe a doctor?

He has just been interviewed on P.M.
Rather than the possibilty of dying in pain, he laid more stress on the loss of autonomy, dignity and sphincter control. I must say I find this prospect appalling too, and it must apply to more people.
I thought he made a good case, and that the example of those countries which already allow assisted dying was convincing.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

More from Henry Marsh.

Marsh, 71, whose cancer was diagnosed six months ago, said: “Having spent a lifetime operating on people with cancer, the prospect of dying slowly from it myself fills me with dread. Despite the best efforts of palliative medicine, I know that dying from cancer can still be a very horrible business – for both patient and family, despite what the opponents of assisted dying claim.

“I fiercely believe that if people in my situation knew they had the ability to choose how, when and where they would die, it would greatly reduce their suffering. Knowing that I had this choice, if life became unbearable, would certainly give me much greater confidence now in facing whatever the future might hold for me.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/apr/01/top-uk-brain-surgeon-henry-marsh-cancer-calls-urgent-inquiry-assisted-dying
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I must have posted before that this is coming and when it does the floodgates will open.

I anticipate the first step will involve a redefining of death meaning that people are legally dead sooner than they are now.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

thirdcrank wrote:I anticipate the first step will involve a redefining of death meaning that people are legally dead sooner than they are now.

Why?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

"The BMA's position on physician-assisted dying"
https://www.bma.org.uk/advice-and-support/ethics/end-of-life/the-bmas-position-on-physician-assisted-dying

which includes:

"In 2016, the representative body rejected a motion to adopt a neutral position following a large-scale project engaging with over 500 BMA members and members of the public."

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Briefly, at the moment people can be kept alive indefinitely using life support, even though they may never regain consciousness. Advances in techniques to investigate the state of the brain can ascertain that in a way which was previously impossible. So, although they are being kept alive, they are actually dead. Now, it's possible to have a debate about what "dead" means in these circumstances, but that's the point I'm making.

I do know that HM is talking about something else, but that's my floodgates point.

PS My post crossed with JDSK's link to the stance of the doctors' trade union
pete75

Post by pete75 »

One of my wife's uncles had terminal cancer and was getting towards the end. He sat up all night talking with his brother and the next morning went out into one of his fields with a 12 bore and ended things. His decision and likely the best for him.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Sleep after Toil
by Edmund Spenser

"He there does now enjoy eternall rest
And happy ease, which thou doest want and crave,
And further from it daily wanderest:
What if some little payne the passage have,
That makes frayle flesh to feare the bitter wave?
Is not short payne well borne, that bringes long ease,
And layes the soule to sleepe in quiet grave?
Sleepe after toyle, port after stormie seas,
Ease after warre, death after life does greatly please.'
Syd

Post by Syd »

It is my personal opinion that we treat animals more humanly at times than we do humans.

Someone I work closely with described the last few weeks of the life of parent and how said parent pleaded for them to help them kill themself. What said parent went through must have been tortuous.
Last edited by Syd on 2 Apr 2021, 5:42pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Syd wrote:It is my personal opinion that we treat animals more humanly at times than we do humans.

Someone I work closely with described the last few weeks of the life of parent and how said parent pleased for them to hell then kill themself. What said parent were through must have been tortuous.

The bold words do not make much sense. I think I can guess their meaning though.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Mike Sales wrote:
Syd wrote:It is my personal opinion that we treat animals more humanly at times than we do humans.

Someone I work closely with described the last few weeks of the life of parent and how said parent pleased for them to hell then kill themself. What said parent were through must have been tortuous.

The bold words do not make much sense. I think I can guess their meaning though.

Thanks, corrected now I have found glasses.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Mike Sales wrote:Sleep after Toil
by Edmund Spenser

"He there does now enjoy eternall rest
And happy ease, which thou doest want and crave,
And further from it daily wanderest:
What if some little payne the passage have,
That makes frayle flesh to feare the bitter wave?
Is not short payne well borne, that bringes long ease,
And layes the soule to sleepe in quiet grave?
Sleepe after toyle, port after stormie seas,
Ease after warre, death after life does greatly please.'

Dylan Thomas had a different view

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on that sad height,
Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker