should politics be banned on the forum?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Jdsk

Re: should politics be banned on the forum?

Post by Jdsk »

al_yrpal wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 10:13amCrap harks back to Mr Crapper who held several patents applying to WCs.
It's older than that.

This is repeated so often that it has a section of its own in his Wikipedia article:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Cr ... ord_"crap"

Of course it might have stuck because of him.

Jonathan
colin54

Post by colin54 »

More fishy usage, but above the water-line.
'Crappit-Heid', a dish made by fisher-folk in northern Scotland from the head and offal of a fish after the fillets has been sold, I wonder what it tasted like, marine haggis almost.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crappit_heid
Nu-Fogey
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

There's also the word "Craps" which is an American gambling game. Different etymology: it's a corruption of "crabs" apparently. If by any remote chance the game comes up as a forum topic, any profanity filter would have to discriminate between the two. Like the "Scunthorpe" problem....

Nothing vulgar about the word "craps" - although with my strong views on the subject, I regard all gambling as vulgar in the first place....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

661-Pete wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 11:12amThere's also the word "Craps" which is an American gambling game. Different etymology: it's a corruption of "crabs" apparently.
Could be... but I'll stick with unknown... unless there's anything new on the derivation.

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

As Dr Johnson might have said "Sir, under the pretence of discussing politics, you are testing the forum rules on bad language."
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

661-Pete wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 11:12am There's also the word "Craps" which is an American gambling game. Different etymology: it's a corruption of "crabs" apparently. If by any remote chance the game comes up as a forum topic, any profanity filter would have to discriminate between the two. Like the "Scunthorpe" problem....

Nothing vulgar about the word "craps" - although with my strong views on the subject, I regard all gambling as vulgar in the first place....
All my cockney family modestly bet on the gee gees when I was a child, it was their modest bit of fun. Only one, Uncle Ernie, was a compulsive gambler. He was injured by the Old Bailey bomb when the betting shop window got blown in on him! Yes, vulgar plebs... :lol:

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
mjr

Post by mjr »

thirdcrank wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 11:20am As Dr Johnson might have said "Sir, under the pretence of discussing politics, you are testing the forum rules on bad language."
I think the ship has sailed on crap. It's appeared often in The Simpsons, which even very conservative Fox in the USA broadcasts in primetime as TV-PG. Even an episode with a stream of out-of-context craps only got as far as a TV-14 rating... and this forum has a minimum age requirement of 13 IIRC, as well as a being in a supposedly more liberal (in this regard) country.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

And I think the politics ban has sailed from this thread.
Ride-sleep-repeat

Post by Ride-sleep-repeat »

Well I didn't want my first post after an involuntary week long hiatus to be negative but I am totally confused here.The message alongside the 7 day ban stated 'for breaking Forum rules regarding abusive language'.I have spent the last week trawling through page after page,topic after topic to try to assertain what I allegedly wrote that could be deemed to be worse than stuff that is there for all to see.I could find nothing.Then I happened across this gem that enlightened me:-
Cyril Haearn wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 6:06pm Glad to report that I reported some bad language today. The moderator deleted it, +1!
Cyril Haearn wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 7:01pm No, it was a rude word unsuitable for children
Once I discovered what this absolutely outrageous and inflammatory word was it all became clear!
To say I'm staggered beyond belief is an understatement!
If the word 'crap' is being reported as a 'rude word unsuitable for children' then I now understand just what we're up against!

Stephen Fry once quoted about people finding offence at anything.I'd quote that but I think someone would be offended and it would be deleted!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Obviously c**p was not the word I reported, a moderator used it in a thread title! I should maybe like to know for what language someone was banned, but it has presumably been deleted
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Ride-sleep-repeat wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 7:05pm Well I didn't want my first post after an involuntary week long hiatus to be negative but I am totally confused here.The message alongside the 7 day ban stated 'for breaking Forum rules regarding abusive language'.I have spent the last week trawling through page after page,topic after topic to try to assertain what I allegedly wrote that could be deemed to be worse than stuff that is there for all to see.I could find nothing.Then I happened across this gem that enlightened me:-
Cyril Haearn wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 6:06pm Glad to report that I reported some bad language today. The moderator deleted it, +1!
Cyril Haearn wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 7:01pm No, it was a rude word unsuitable for children
Once I discovered what this absolutely outrageous and inflammatory word was it all became clear!
To say I'm staggered beyond belief is an understatement!
If the word 'crap' is being reported as a 'rude word unsuitable for children' then I now understand just what we're up against!

Stephen Fry once quoted about people finding offence at anything.I'd quote that but I think someone would be offended and it would be deleted!
How do you mean ...'what we're up against?'
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Ride-sleep-repeat wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 7:05pm Well I didn't want my first post after an involuntary week long hiatus to be negative but I am totally confused here.The message alongside the 7 day ban stated 'for breaking Forum rules regarding abusive language'.I have spent the last week trawling through page after page,topic after topic to try to assertain what I allegedly wrote that could be deemed to be worse than stuff that is there for all to see.I could find nothing.
That's because it has been removed.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

mjr wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 5:55pm It is important to remember we also have a real choice to turn aggressive fools off by adding them to ignore lists.
I forgot to add my endorsement to this. It doesn't work when somebody quotes them, but IT is improving all the time. That will come.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

thirdcrank wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 9:09am
mjr wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 5:55pm It is important to remember we also have a real choice to turn aggressive fools off by adding them to ignore lists.
I forgot to add my endorsement to this. It doesn't work when somebody quotes them, but IT is improving all the time. That will come.
Since I have no-one on my 'ignore' list, I can't test this: i.e. whether, since the forum update, quoted posts of 'offenders' are also 'hidden'. Are they?

But even if they are, this won't work if someone quotes another's post simply by copy-and-paste, rather than by using the 'quote' button.

And another point. Even if we can't read the offending text ourselves, it will still be visible to everyone else - including 'guest' browsers. Are people happy with that? I'm not - thick skin or no thick skin....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Vorpal wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 8:00am
Ride-sleep-repeat wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 7:05pm Well I didn't want my first post after an involuntary week long hiatus to be negative but I am totally confused here.The message alongside the 7 day ban stated 'for breaking Forum rules regarding abusive language'.I have spent the last week trawling through page after page,topic after topic to try to assertain what I allegedly wrote that could be deemed to be worse than stuff that is there for all to see.I could find nothing.
That's because it has been removed.
Until I read about it on this thread, I had no idea that anyone on the forum had been suspended, nor for what reason. Perhaps it would have been better if we'd all remained in ignorance. But - I will suggest this to 'Ride-sleep-repeat' and others. If they're really bothered about posts disappearing, they should save their text elsewhere (e.g. in Word) at time of posting.

I don't do that on this forum (and have on the odd occasion lost a post to 'Blue Screen' - but that's a risk we all take!); but I do save anything I post (other than a one-liner) on the Independent comments (where I have a different handle). I don't really understand how the somewhat arbitrary moderation system works on that august periodical - but I've fallen foul of it several times.

I'm happy to say, I think I do understand how Moderation works on this forum! Thanks to the diligence of Vorpal et al.