should politics be banned on the forum?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mjr

Re: should politics be banned on the forum?

Post by mjr »

It is important to remember we also have a real choice to turn aggressive fools off by adding them to ignore lists.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

mjr wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 5:55pm It is important to remember we also have a real choice to turn aggressive fools off by adding them to ignore lists.
Yes indeed, a highly recommended approach.

Complaining to the mods seems to be another approach popular with some forum members when they read something that disturbs them.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

mjr wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 5:55pm It is important to remember we also have a real choice to turn aggressive fools off by adding them to ignore lists.
Trouble is, they can still see us

Glad to report that I reported some bad language today. The moderator deleted it, +1!
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

Cyril Haearn wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 6:06pm Glad to report that I reported some bad language today. The moderator deleted it, +1!
Well done. What was the "bad language"? An incorrect Latin plural, something like that?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

mikeymo wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 6:13pm
Cyril Haearn wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 6:06pm Glad to report that I reported some bad language today. The moderator deleted it, +1!
Well done. What was the "bad language"? An incorrect Latin plural, something like that?
No, it was a rude word unsuitable for children
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

That's good sense.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

Cyril Haearn wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 7:01pm
mikeymo wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 6:13pm
No, it was a rude word unsuitable for children
I see.

I know that you are an intellectual literary fellow, with a keen interest in the development and nuances of language. So here's a question for you. The forum software seems to automagically edit out certain words. "Rude" words, let's call them. But it doesn't seem to edit out the word "crap" (I'll have to wait until I post to see if that is still true). That's a word which another forum member has used in response to me, twice in fact. I didn't bother "reporting" it, I'm not the least bothered about having that sort of language aimed at me. But would you say that is a word "unsuitable for children"?

PS. It remains.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Yes I do think the c-word mentioned is unsuitable for children, one could use 'rubbish' instead, there are other words too, if one wants to avoid children learning too many words too early.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

But would you say that is a word "unsuitable for children"?
When I did my first teaching practice, my tutor turned up to see how I was getting on and was chatting to my class, when one of them described Kipper (a character in a reading book series...), using a word that rhymes with banker - the kid was 6, so the notion of suitability of language for children is maybe something of a movable feast! :wink:
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Could be right there Simon, I am quite old and know a lot of words that I do not, or no longer, use
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Cyril Haearn wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 7:43pm Yes I do think the c-word mentioned is unsuitable for children, one could use 'rubbish' instead, there are other words too, if one wants to avoid children learning too many words too early.
When I first glanced at this post, I thought it was referring to a far more gross c-word - one which certainly won't get through the profanity filter!

I'll repeat what I've already said: I think insults directed at a person say more about the insulter than the insulted. Which is why a thick skin is a desirable asset. I think I have one now, but I didn't always.

The aforesaid gross c-word was levelled at me once, years ago, on a different forum. It had been concealed in a photo to defeat search engines (though I suspect that Google's Image-search feature might today have picked it up). Whatever, I was upset because it came at me so unexpectedly and unprovoked, and I suppose my skin was thinner back then.

If insults and badmouthing are bothering people on this forum, and if it gets too much for the Mods to cope with, then perhaps Politricks would have to go. I advocated that once, but I'm not sure now.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

simonineaston wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 7:45pm
But would you say that is a word "unsuitable for children"?
When I did my first teaching practice, my tutor turned up to see how I was getting on and was chatting to my class, when one of them described Kipper (a character in a reading book series...), using a word that rhymes with banker - the kid was 6, so the notion of suitability of language for children is maybe something of a movable feast! :wink:
Hmmm. In my experience, the child had probably learnt the word from an older teenage sibling (very regrettable). If not, I dread to think of how the child acquired the word.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

'crap' is generally considered to be okay on the forum, and pretty much always has been. Both Si and I use it. I guess opinions may vary on whether it is family friendly, but I would more categorise it as uncouth, rather than vulgar.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Crap harks back to Mr Crapper who held several patents applying to WCs. Crap is a term for Sh**, and what kids might be taught to term as Poo. Crap to me refers to something being poor quality, or an experience that was poor. Personally I dont think there is anything wrong with the term but for little kids I dont think it appropriate for them to use it. I am old fashioned though...

Anyway, off to the pub this evening! Partner has learnt to cut my hair :D 2nd jab next Saturday...

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Carp are bottom-feeders, they devour the c**p at the bottom of the pond :?