should politics be banned on the forum?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Ride-sleep-repeat

Re: should politics be banned on the forum?

Post by Ride-sleep-repeat »

Pebble wrote: 15 Apr 2021, 10:45am Can't imagine any children ever venturing onto CUK, would guess the average age is 70 or more - lol. And if they did it would be us oldens offended by their language.
'Their' language hasn't really changed that much apart from the obvious lean towards 'Gangsta' :wink: .At least it hasn't since I were a young 'un in the 70s.I think it is times rather than language that has changed and words that were 'bad' language or 'swearing' 60 years ago are now just regular words.
When I was a lad certain words were not used in front of mum/nan or female family members in general but were OK with dad/grandad/uncles etc.My Nan called it 'Pit' language.In our house there were two 4 letter words not to be used in front of mum and one that was completely unacceptable to use at all.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Mike Sales wrote: 31 Mar 2021, 8:01pm
markjohnobrien wrote:
It’s a cycling forum, not a politics forum, and while I have strong political opinions, they are exercised in the appropriate channels: which isn’t on this forum.
It is plain that some posters enjoy discussing politics.
There is no compulsion to read political posts.
As far as I have noticed political threads are plainly titled.
Why not just ignore such discussions, rather than deprive others?
Six months further on and I get the impression that some people may have decided to ignore the forum completely.
Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

thirdcrank wrote: 17 Oct 2021, 12:11pm
markjohnobrien wrote:
It’s a cycling forum, not a politics forum, and while I have strong political opinions, they are exercised in the appropriate channels: which isn’t on this forum.
Six months further on and I get the impression that some people may have decided to ignore the forum completely.
The ignoring of of the forum may be factor when 2,000 senior members have failed to renew their membership of the CTC?

Many contributor on this forum are older.

Regarding bad language compared other forums it very mild but I have noticed that many young people are very strait-laced
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Define young people! Lol
Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

Tangled Metal wrote: 17 Oct 2021, 2:18pm Define young people! Lol
UNDER 30 YEARS
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Philip Benstead wrote: 17 Oct 2021, 4:07pm
Tangled Metal wrote: 17 Oct 2021, 2:18pm Define young people! Lol
UNDER 30 YEARS
You must be among the younger members on here with that answer! 😆

When you get called young man as you're edging closer to 50 years you'll know young is relative. P
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

thirdcrank wrote: 17 Oct 2021, 12:11pm
markjohnobrien wrote:
I stopped visiting daily early this summer. Even more I'm only dropping in for certain threads. Nothing to do with no longer being a ctc member, never was. More to do with not having bike related matters and tea shop threads being simply politics or the same politics should I say. Nothing new with them IMHO. If I leave here it will be because of the way the teashop has changed of late.
Bonzo Banana

Post by Bonzo Banana »

I must admit I see many political posts on here and the posters are clearly utterly clueless about reality in many ways and yet show such venom for those who disagree with them. When I've replied in the past the replies I got are in no way factual or realistic and don't use any data or evidence to support their views. Politics is like a game of football to many they choose a side and then fight for it and get abusive to the other side. Few people seem rational when it comes to politics. My politics are all over the place swinging left or right depending on the issue and try to take a fair approach but many people seem to just want to make childish digs at those who don't share their opinion.

Many forums ban politics because it gets heated and many people start resenting people they disagree with on politics it seems. Seems to cause a downward spiral in the positivity of the forum.

So I feel it should be banned because moderating political discussions to prevent abusive responses is surely going to need huge levels of moderation which isn't practical.
PhilD28

Post by PhilD28 »

These are not normal times, considering we have had both Brexit and Covid alongside the acceleration of climate change coupled to, lets be generous, and say a less than stellar government/pm, it seem normal for citizens to want to express their views.
The Tea Shop area for some provides that opportunity, and as far as I’m aware, reading or participating in any thread isn’t mandatory, in fact it’s very easy to avoid for those who don’t wish to participate.

I hear there are people who would ban climbing, or open water swimming, drinking alcohol or cycling even on the grounds that it’s dangerous or inconvenient or etc etc. or maybe it just doesn’t appeal to them.
The moderation seems to work pretty well and posts that don’t meet the standards are removed and topics locked.
As far as I can see politics, including cycling related politics are a fact of life more than ever in these troubled times, if it doesn’t appeal, don’t go there why ban it.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Have you ever been to a forum where politics is banned? If you had you'd probably see the point of banning something that's not core to the forum and their owners to get a more friendly and positive forum. It really seems to be the characteristics if politics free forums to be more cooperative, friendly and free from trolls.

If that isn't worth banning politics for then carry on, but take a look at the user stats. Are they possibly showing something? Isn't this forum shrinking? Fewer regular posters? Regular posters dropping away? If so could the balance be out?
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Forgive my ignorance but how do we know that the forum is shrinking?

Even away from the kitchen politics inevitably gets expressed. Fines for traffic offences. Indifferent police. Weak laws. Things that annoy us. Traffic free roads and cycle lanes. Railways. Travel. Ebikes and rules. Sustrans. Climate, Helmets. Inadequate sentencing.

Should none of the above be discussed?

There is always the equivalent of the remote control. I never venture into the helmets debate: some see it as hugely important whilst I see the debate as sterile. I don’t object to the debate: I just keep away. It really is easy.
Last edited by Oldjohnw on 18 Oct 2021, 7:28am, edited 2 times in total.
John
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

I’ve not read all of the thread and don’t intend too.

I would echo what Tangled Metal and Bonzo Banana say just above. The politics here is too often caustic and politics here needs ditching, if someone wants to talk politics then this place doesn’t work sufficiently well (ie. without heated conflict and without need of moderation) for that purpose and it’s not the purpose of this place. It’s simple enough really, just have some things that are off limits, I suggest: Party Politics and divisive issues such as Brexit.

The loss of Bruce Dance has hit this place hard. Technical content is depleted, there are still some expert voices here but Bruce was something exceptional.
Last edited by Carlton green on 18 Oct 2021, 7:29am, edited 1 time in total.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

If the technical content is depleted because of Brucie’s absence, how would banning politics increase it again?
John
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

Oldjohnw wrote: 18 Oct 2021, 7:26am If the technical content is depleted because of Brucie’s absence, how would banning politics increase it again?
Fair point. Another poster had said that traffic was down on this site and I think that the loss of Brucie’s input is a factor to consider. I made separate points and they were in separate paragraphs, sorry if that wasn’t clear.

As for the politics here I think it detracts from this place and sets posters against each other. Cycling should be the focus of people’s attention here and tearoom posts but a small fraction of this site’s traffic. If the site was rebalanced then those with something interesting to say about cycling would be more likely to come and to stay.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Carlton green wrote: 18 Oct 2021, 7:37am

As for the politics here I think it detracts from this place and sets posters against each other. Cycling should be the focus of people’s attention here and tearoom posts but a small fraction of this site’s traffic.
Personally, I am interested in cycling as in riding bikes here, there and everywhere, but not technical things. People can simply keep out of the tearoom if they wish. Do you suggest a quota on post numbers?

I rarely notice the poster and try to respond to the comment not the author: in other words I try to avoid ad hominem responses. Often I have found myself in complete harmony with someone over a cycling matter that I have profoundly disagreed with elsewhere.

Moderation seems to me to be of a high standard and tries to deal with the personal attacks. Notwithstanding that, there are always some who, when moderated, cry “censorship!”

If the Tea Room were closed I would imagine traffic would decline massively. Be careful what you wish for.
John