should politics be banned on the forum?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
hondated

should politics be banned on the forum?

Post by hondated »

Moderator note: this was split off from the thread about Brucey

sjs wrote:
Vetus Ossa wrote:Well I miss Cyril as well, am I alone here?
Cyril, please come back and amuse me.

You're not alone.
I'm also sorry Reohn2 no longer posts.

I am going to have to check this out now as having exchanged PMs for several years. I regard Reohn2 as being a friend. Smashing bloke. Now catching up on this thread its interesting to read that I am not the only one who has lost a bit of love for this Forum.
Someone once accused me of being a racist for a posting I made and that is the last thing I am. I wonder whether politics should now be banned.
markjohnobrien

Re: should politics be banned on the forum?

Post by markjohnobrien »

hondated wrote:
sjs wrote:
Vetus Ossa wrote:Well I miss Cyril as well, am I alone here?
Cyril, please come back and amuse me.

You're not alone.
I'm also sorry Reohn2 no longer posts.

I am going to have to check this out now as having exchanged PMs for several years. I regard Reohn2 as being a friend. Smashing bloke. Now catching up on this thread its interesting to read that I am not the only one who has lost a bit of love for this Forum.
Someone once accused me of being a racist for a posting I made and that is the last thing I am. I wonder whether politics should now be banned.

I agree that politics should be banned: cycling contributors to this forum are really nice people but inject politics into the equation and some of the same people have insane opinions and, as I’ve said on another thread, some of the opinions in the Tea Shop are as mad as a box of frogs and some posters are politically obsessive (to say the least).

It’s a cycling forum, not a politics forum, and while I have strong political opinions, they are exercised in the appropriate channels: which isn’t on this forum.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

markjohnobrien wrote:
It’s a cycling forum, not a politics forum, and while I have strong political opinions, they are exercised in the appropriate channels: which isn’t on this forum.

It is plain that some posters enjoy discussing politics.
There is no compulsion to read political posts.
As far as I have noticed political threads are plainly titled.
Why not just ignore such discussions, rather than deprive others?
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Ride-sleep-repeat

Post by Ride-sleep-repeat »

The Teashop is for non-cycling discussions yes?
You have the option not to read any topics you don't like.Banning one topic would open up the argument to ban any topic that someone doesn't like!
As long as it's kept in the Teashop then I see no reason to ban Politics.I think it's probably one of the most posted on subjects!

Would you ban a Political discussion in an actual cafe or pub?
I think not!
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

No
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Ride-sleep-repeat wrote:The Teashop is for non-cycling discussions yes?

Not really.

Tea Shop is a place for any discussion. Cycling is included.
Mick F. Cornwall
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I think the forum must have managed a couple of weeks without somebody starting "should politics" or should "non-cycling", etc. discussions be banned.

If people don't like reading some types of discussion maybe they could just ignore such threads rather than wanting everybody banned from something they don't want to read or join in on.

Maybe as a society we should ban football (as I don't enjoy football) or maybe ban opera (as I don't enjoy opera) - but I chise to just ignore the football on TV and avoid stadia on match days, etc.

And when somebody starts a thread critiquing Government policies on cycle infrastructure fundi ... oh dear, it should be banned 'cos it's political.

Ian
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Mike Sales wrote:
markjohnobrien wrote:

It is plain that some posters enjoy discussing politics.

Also, lively discussion created a lively environment and participants visit the forum more often and thus a wider range of people respond to cycling queries quicker. How active would the forum be if it was nothing but eternal repeats of "what bike should I buy for £600" or "My disk brakes are squeaking".

Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mike Sales wrote:It is plain that some posters enjoy discussing politics.

That sounds right to me.

I'd add that the line is usually crossed when the discussion about politics becomes a discussion about other posters.

Jonathan
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Psamathe wrote:Also, lively discussion created a lively environment and participants visit the forum more often and thus a wider range of people respond to cycling queries quicker. How active would the forum be if it was nothing but eternal repeats of "what bike should I buy for £600" or "My disk brakes are squeaking".

And how boring would it be? I sort of gave up on proffering very occasional technical advice because there's many better qualified than me, but also on touring/route finding advice because I found myself inwardly screaming - 'go out and find out for yourself, work it out as you go!' - I was doing it when I was 14, I'm sure everyone can. So I have given up on that - just as people can give up on political threads.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Ben@Forest wrote: but also on touring/route finding advice because I found myself inwardly screaming - 'go out and find out for yourself, work it out as you go!' - I was doing it when I was 14, I'm sure everyone can.

I know that feeling!
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

I’m really pleased that my provocative post has provoked such a lively discussion.

Of course I don’t believe in banning politics discussion - might as well try and be King Canute in turning back the tide.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Ben@Forest wrote:
Psamathe wrote:Also, lively discussion created a lively environment and participants visit the forum more often and thus a wider range of people respond to cycling queries quicker. How active would the forum be if it was nothing but eternal repeats of "what bike should I buy for £600" or "My disk brakes are squeaking".

And how boring would it be? I sort of gave up on proffering very occasional technical advice because there's many better qualified than me, but also on touring/route finding advice because I found myself inwardly screaming - 'go out and find out for yourself, work it out as you go!' - I was doing it when I was 14, I'm sure everyone can. So I have given up on that - just as people can give up on political threads.

I agree. There are very few aspects where I can contribute technically. Maybe a few more in relation to touring. So without the additional discussions I's maybe be visiting the site once a month'ish.

I also agree re "I found myself inwardly screaming - 'go out and find out for yourself, work it out as you go!'". Each to their own but my own opinion is that the more people contribute "It's not that difficult, just go ..." the more people will give it a go and the more relaxed they'd be about it all and the more they'll enjoy it. But that takes a wide range of contributors many of whom will only come across a thread matching their experience occasionally - so you need something to keep those people visiting.

Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

markjohnobrien wrote:... might as well try and be King Canute in turning back the tide.

Ahem...

: - )

Jonathan
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

markjohnobrien wrote:...
I agree that politics should be banned: cycling contributors to this forum are really nice people but inject politics into the equation and some of the same people have insane opinions and, as I’ve said on another thread, some of the opinions in the Tea Shop are as mad as a box of frogs and some posters are politically obsessive (to say the least).

Followed by
markjohnobrien wrote:I’m really pleased that my provocative post has provoked such a lively discussion.

Of course I don’t believe in banning politics discussion - might as well try and be King Canute in turning back the tide.

Err, I'm lost. Difficult to discuss raised issues when people argue for action they don't actually think should happen. One minute one thing, next completely opposite opinion.

Ian