should politics be banned on the forum?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mjr

Re: should politics be banned on the forum?

Post by mjr »

mikeymo wrote: 10 Apr 2021, 4:49pm
Ben@Forest wrote: 10 Apr 2021, 4:45pm...it's faintly amusing people's viewing habits are so important that they can't cope with 6 or 7 hours without the BBC...
Because then they'd have nothing to complain about? Bleating about Auntie Beeb is almost an addiction for some people.
As is using mistakes to make complaints seem more unreasonable than they were. The BBC was down for 12 hours not only 6 or 7. If that hadn't been self-inflicted, that would have been a major incident!

Still, I didn't complain to them. I watched a film we recorded a while ago. The Constant Gardener. A good film but not the escapism I was hoping for, with a story involving testing rapidly-developed epidemic drugs!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mjr

Post by mjr »

mikeymo wrote: 10 Apr 2021, 5:01pm
Pebble wrote: 10 Apr 2021, 12:21pmBut Jeez - the coverage on the radio and TV is way way over the top.
Are the off buttons broken on your television and wireless?
Heavens forbid people wanting a choice of programmes on the radio!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

mikeymo wrote: 10 Apr 2021, 5:00pm
Bonefishblues wrote: 10 Apr 2021, 4:52pm
mikeymo wrote: 10 Apr 2021, 4:49pm

Because then they'd have nothing to complain about? Bleating about Auntie Beeb is almost an addiction for some people.
This isn't
It's not meant to be a "cogent argument", Socrates.

It's meant to make a simple point, that people love whinging about the media, especially the BBC.

Especially here in these forae.
As was mine :wink:
Cyril Haearn

Re: should politics be banned on these fora?

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Has anyone added up how much TV-Tax one pays over a lifetime?
Yours &c, Disgusted of Leafy Suburbia
As for us being mostly left-whingers, perhaps there are quite a few right-whingers, but they are too smart to bother trying to argue about politricks on a cycling forums :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Jdsk

Re: should politics be banned on these fora?

Post by Jdsk »

Cyril Haearn wrote: 10 Apr 2021, 5:38pmHas anyone added up how much TV-Tax one pays over a lifetime?
There isn't a single answer as the licence fee is paid per household not per capita, people don't live for the same duration, a few people only have monochrome licences, some don't pay it etc.

Jonathan
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

My television set has an off button. I use it when the programmes being shown don't interest me.
Sensible fellow... television is chewing-gum for the mind. Me, I've thoroughly enjoyed R3's output over the last 30 hours or so - slightly more sombre than usual for obvious reasons. And have learned things about the DoE wot I never did know, too. Sounds like rather a good bloke. Wonder how long his missus will hang on.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

Pebble wrote: 10 Apr 2021, 12:21pmBut Jeez - the coverage on the radio and TV is way way over the top.
No, and nor was my ability to use them
ossie

Post by ossie »

Pebble wrote: 10 Apr 2021, 6:04pm
No, and nor was my ability to use them
I had a quick look at the schedule and avoided it.

I see they are now moving all football fixtures at 3pm next Saturday so they don't clash with the funeral.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

I'd say that was rather a binary choice. :lol:
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Public service broadcasting that input caters to the small section of the general public who actually care enough to want to watch repetitive commentary on the DoE. Not serving those who don't. Binary choice is no choice. Perhaps the binary choice is to watch 24 hour obituary on BBC 4 or normal shows on other BBC channels not watch obituary or watch nothing.
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

Tangled Metal wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 1:50pmBinary choice is no choice.
I don't know how that statement could be any more wrong.

The choice between having a television turned on or off is a perfect example of a binary choice.

That you don't like what the television is receiving when it's on is neither here nor there. On or off is a binary choice. That is the meaning of the words.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

I only wanted to watch the weather forecast
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

Pebble wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 2:47pm I only wanted to watch the weather forecast
It's going to overflow, I heard.

PS. Blimey, that was quick.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

mikeymo wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 1:57pm

The choice between having a television turned on or off is a perfect example of a binary choice.

That you don't like what the television is receiving when it's on is neither here nor there. On or off is a binary choice. That is the meaning of the words.
The choice to watch TV has already been made the programme choice is another thing. If the channels are all DoE then that is no choice. The point is you had no idea of the situation when you turned TV on to watch it, binary choice on or off, but once on you usually have a lot of choice but not the case when it's wall to wall obituary. What's is so wrong with the idea that is no real choice?
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

Tangled Metal wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 5:35pm
mikeymo wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 1:57pm

The choice to watch TV has already been made the programme choice is another thing. If the channels are all DoE then that is no choice. The point is you had no idea of the situation when you turned TV on to watch it, binary choice on or off, but once on you usually have a lot of choice but not the case when it's wall to wall obituary. What's is so wrong with the idea that is no real choice?
The choice to turn the television off, or to leave it on, is a choice. A binary choice in fact, as Francovendee pointed out. You might not like what is on the television when you turn it on. But you have a choice, off or on. And it is a "real choice".

What is "so wrong with the idea that is no real choice" is that that statement, that it is "no real choice", is an incorrect statement.