should politics be banned on the forum?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
thirdcrank

Re: should politics be banned on the forum?

Post by thirdcrank »

.... If they're really bothered about posts disappearing, they should save their text elsewhere (e.g. in Word) at time of posting. ...
Apart from it being rather weird for anybody to retain a personal archive, I'm not clear what purpose it would serve. IMO reinstating something verbatim after it had been removed by a moderator would qualify for a permanent ban (without benefit of clergy.)
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

661-Pete wrote: 10 Apr 2021, 2:50pm
francovendee wrote: 10 Apr 2021, 2:10pm I think the BBC has mishandled it's coverage. It is a National event but radio 4 seemed swamped by it yesterday. I'm just glad we had Netflix to turn to.
I don't think they mishandled it: rather, they had no choice. What the BBC is required to do on these occasions is, as far as I know, set in stone under the terms of Operation Forth Bridge which has been planned years in advance (there is a similar plan called Operation London Bridge - not to hard to figure out what that is about...).

Under the terms of these rules, it appears that the BBC is forced to switch to rolling news coverage for most of the day. And all presenters have to wear black. Apparently, the rolling news coverage was even halted for a while to allow the then presenter, Martine Croxall, to change into a black dress. Remember the fuss that was made when the late Peter Sissons announced the Queen Mother's death wearing a burgundy tie? Some folks even wanted to lynch the poor guy. They won't be letting that happen again...

OTT it surely is - but that's the law it seems. One reason why the monarchy is seen as such an irrelevance by many. At least we don't have as tough lèse-majesté laws as they have in Thailand...
Prince Philip TV Coverage has now established a record
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2021/apr/12/bbcs-prince-philip-coverage-breaks-uk-tv-complaints-record wrote:BBC’s Prince Philip coverage breaks UK TV complaints record
The BBC’s wall-to-wall coverage of Prince Philip’s death has become the most complained-about moment in British television history ...
Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

661-Pete wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 9:56amEven if we can't read the offending text ourselves, it will still be visible to everyone else - including 'guest' browsers. Are people happy with that? I'm not - thick skin or no thick skin....
I have never used "Foes" or any sort of blocking in this or any other forum and have no intention of doing so.

We all have the power to ignore any post or to leave the forum, and excellent and responsive moderation.

Not knowing who can and can't read what has been posted isn't going to lead to informed discussion.

Jonathan
Last edited by Jdsk on 13 Apr 2021, 11:21am, edited 1 time in total.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Jdsk wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 11:07am
661-Pete wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 9:56amEven if we can't read the offending text ourselves, it will still be visible to everyone else - including 'guest' browsers. Are people happy with that? I'm not - thick skin or no thick skin....
I have never used "Foes" or any sort of blocking in this or any other forum and have no intention of doing so.

We all have the power to ignore any post or to leave the forum, and excellent and responsive moderation

Not knowing who can and can't read what has been posted isn't going to lead to informed discussion.

Jonathan
This
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Psamathe wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 11:03am

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2021/apr/12/bbcs-prince-philip-coverage-breaks-uk-tv-complaints-record wrote:BBC’s Prince Philip coverage breaks UK TV complaints record
The BBC’s wall-to-wall coverage of Prince Philip’s death has become the most complained-about moment in British television history ...
Ian
And would have been significantly more had not the BBC taken the link down when, in their words, the number of complaints coming in started to reduce.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Bonefishblues wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 11:17am

Ian
And would have been significantly more had not the BBC taken the link down when, in their words, the number of complaints coming in started to reduce.
It does seem a bit like trying to stifle the public when the BBC take down a link making complaining easier because too many people are using it! "Oh dear, people are complaining. How can we stop them complaining ..."

Ian
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Psamathe wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 11:21am

Ian
It does seem a bit like trying to stifle the public when the BBC take down a link making complaining easier because too many people are using it! "Oh dear, people are complaining. How can we stop them complaining ..."

Ian
Apparently 116 people wrote to the BBC complaining that the BBC was making it too easy to complain!
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Mike Sales wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 11:25am
Psamathe wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 11:21am

Ian
Apparently 116 people wrote to the BBC complaining that the BBC was making it too easy to complain!
Apparently complainants will have to demonstrate that they really are serious in future - using their choice of Ducking Stool or Ordeal by Fire.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

One may complain in a few seconds with a few clicks, very easy

Is there a similar easy way to express approval for the programs? The bbc got so many -1s, how many +1s did it get?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

All this calls to mind a delightful quote from the immortal Douglas Adams:
Douglas Adams wrote:"Share and Enjoy" is, of course, the company motto of the hugely successful Sirius Cybernetics Corporation Complaints division, which now covers the major land masses of three medium sized planets and is the only part of the Corporation to have shown a consistent profit in recent years.
Are we going that way, Auntie B? :lol:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

thirdcrank wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 10:17am Apart from it being rather weird for anybody to retain a personal archive, I'm not clear what purpose it would serve.
Some people are weird. Enough said?
IMO reinstating something verbatim after it had been removed by a moderator would qualify for a permanent ban (without benefit of clergy.)
I wasn't suggesting they do that. But it may help to keep a record, just so as to remind oneself how one has offended....

I remember the time someone did just that on CycleChat - re-posted an obscene insult (of which I was the victim, I'm afraid). And as a result did, indeed, get a 'ban without benefit of clergy'. But on reflection I suspected that the banned 'person' was in fact a sock-puppet, so it made little difference. :(
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

661-Pete wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 11:49am
thirdcrank wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 10:17am IMO reinstating something verbatim after it had been removed by a moderator would qualify for a permanent ban (without benefit of clergy.)
I wasn't suggesting they do that. But it may help to keep a record, just so as to remind oneself how one has offended....
I would like to think that no one needs such a record.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I have reviewed the series of posts for which Ride-sleep-repeat was banned & sent them a pm to clarify.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Vorpal wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 1:17pm I would like to think that no one needs such a record.
I'm afraid, those of my years or older, and with memories as sieve-like as yours truly's, do sometimes need that sort of reminder.... :oops:
slowster

Post by slowster »

661-Pete wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 1:51pm I'm afraid, those of my years or older, and with memories as sieve-like as yours truly's, do sometimes need that sort of reminder.... :oops:
Reminder of what?