should politics be banned on the forum?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mjr

Re: should politics be banned on the forum?

Post by mjr »

slowster wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 2:50pm
661-Pete wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 1:51pm I'm afraid, those of my years or older, and with memories as sieve-like as yours truly's, do sometimes need that sort of reminder.... :oops:
Reminder of what?
Don't know. I think it's been removed! ;)

More seriously, silently-vanishing posts were really unhelpful when I was having medication-induced memory problems. Please could markers be left, in the interests of equality of access for people suffering memory problems?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

mjr wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 3:41pm
slowster wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 2:50pm
661-Pete wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 1:51pm I'm afraid, those of my years or older, and with memories as sieve-like as yours truly's, do sometimes need that sort of reminder.... :oops:
Reminder of what?
Don't know. I think it's been removed! ;)

More seriously, silently-vanishing posts were really unhelpful when I was having medication-induced memory problems. Please could markers be left, in the interests of equality of access for people suffering memory problems?
Apologies, but I had not given that any thought. I will bring it up with the others.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Jdsk wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 11:07am
661-Pete wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 9:56amEven if we can't read the offending text ourselves, it will still be visible to everyone else - including 'guest' browsers. Are people happy with that? I'm not - thick skin or no thick skin....
I have never used "Foes" or any sort of blocking in this or any other forum and have no intention of doing so.

We all have the power to ignore any post or to leave the forum, and excellent and responsive moderation.

Not knowing who can and can't read what has been posted isn't going to lead to informed discussion.

Jonathan
Ditto and spot on.
John
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mike Sales wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 11:25am
Psamathe wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 11:21am
Bonefishblues wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 11:17amAnd would have been significantly more had not the BBC taken the link down when, in their words, the number of complaints coming in started to reduce.
It does seem a bit like trying to stifle the public when the BBC take down a link making complaining easier because too many people are using it! "Oh dear, people are complaining. How can we stop them complaining ..."
Apparently 116 people wrote to the BBC complaining that the BBC was making it too easy to complain!
Screenshot 2021-04-14 at 09.31.42.png
https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/su ... 13/e74cc/2

Jonathan
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Philip was, of course, one of those first generation European immigrants. Quite normal that his demise should be accompanied by national mourning and huge press coverage.
John
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Oldjohnw wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 7:39pm Philip was, of course, one of those first generation European immigrants. Quite normal that his demise should be accompanied by national mourning and huge press coverage.
Indeed.
I read (Guardian I think, but can no longer find the exact article) that a young Canadian politician of 33 and who would later become PM of that country, had once complimented Prince Philip at a function.

"How well, for an Englishman, you speak French".

The Prince replied.

"I'm not an Englishman and I was speaking French before you were born".
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Good example: some people forget his was a German family descended from Queen Victoria.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

markjohnobrien wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 9:39pm Good example: some people forget his was a German family descended from Queen Victoria.
Danish ancestry (which explains the connection to Greek royalty), and he thought of himself as Danish.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Oldjohnw wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 7:39pmPhilip was, of course, one of those first generation European immigrants.
The rich, powerful and connected have always had freedom of movement. It was nice when we all did.

Jonathan
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Jdsk wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 9:45pm
markjohnobrien wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 9:39pm Good example: some people forget his was a German family descended from Queen Victoria.
Danish ancestry (which explains the connection to Greek royalty), and he thought of himself as Danish.

Jonathan
Doesn’t invalidate my point: the Danish royal family were German seeded from Queen Victoria as were a lot of European royalty at the time. They may have pitched up in Denmark and Greece, et al, but culturally and blood line, they were still German.

Makes Philip an interesting chap.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

The royal families of Europe have been intermarrying for hundreds of years.
Marie Antoinette was Austrian.
The Tsar and family who were killed at Ekatarinberg were related to Victoria, as were most of the monarchs of Europe including Kaiser Bill.
Someone who has taken more interest in them than I could give your much more detail.
They could be called a class or nationality of their own.
I guess this is why Meghan Markle has caused such consternation.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

He had links right from Denmark through to Spain. German links are with families in the North I read once. Of course Mountbatten is Battenburg or batten mountain. German family.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Philip didn't come from a family called either Battenburg or Mountbatten. He adopted that name on 28 February 1947 at the age of 25. That process of deliberate Anglicisation as an adult also involved giving up claims to Danish (and Greek) titles. And of course increased the public connection to both of the naval Louis Battenberg/ Mountbattens.

He described himself as Danish. And his paternal lineage was Danish back to Christian IX.

Jonathan
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Jdsk wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 9:46pm
Oldjohnw wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 7:39pmPhilip was, of course, one of those first generation European immigrants.
The rich, powerful and connected have always had freedom of movement. It was nice when we all did.

Jonathan
Spot on. Even in this Pandemic 'important' people can travel.
How you define important is where the rich and powerful call the shots.