should politics be banned on the forum?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Jdsk

Re: should politics be banned on the forum?

Post by Jdsk »

Psamathe wrote: 4 Apr 2021, 4:53pm
Cyril Haearn wrote: 4 Apr 2021, 4:46pm
thirdcrank wrote: 4 Apr 2021, 4:36pm Nobody knows how many people who read something without commenting altered their view or took a view when they hadn't before. There must be some who hadn't previously known something was an issue.
Nobody knows, indeed. I imagine nobody reads some of the very long posts right through either
I think discussing issues is about more than "changing somebodies views". Sometimes somebody might change their views but sometimes people might (slightly) adjust their views as often it's not an x or y extreme but a continuum. Even making people aware of the views of others is useful (even if they don't agree with those views or place lower priority on some aspects).
Well said, Ian.

I've learnt lots of things in this forum that aren't related to servicing our HPVs, and it's great to read other people's views, especially when they're different.

Jonathan
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

There are all shades of opinions here and its informative to see how others from totally different communities and backgrounds view things. I dont think you would hear such a wide range of views freely expressed in the pub so in that respect its useful even if it has little to do with our pastime.
Does what is said here change my views?
Sometimes it makes me investigate things to become better informed.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Cyril Haearn wrote: 4 Apr 2021, 4:46pm
thirdcrank wrote: 4 Apr 2021, 4:36pm Nobody knows how many people who read something without commenting altered their view or took a view when they hadn't before. There must be some who hadn't previously known something was an issue.
Nobody knows, indeed. I imagine nobody reads some of the very long posts right through either
That'll be my posts, I'm not sure I read then through neither!! :lol:
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

yet another thread in the gutter looking up at the drains
NUKe

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Not sure I talk to my chums about politics much. I guess most of us have similar views and are primarily interested in what happens in our leafy suburb
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

I am loving the polite commenting and mild insults on this thread and the forum in general, it is such a refreshing change to many discussions on other social media, where after any initial disagreement posters descend to an amazing exchange of insults which is not PC and can be very educational :shock: :shock:
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

This thread has been pruned considerably. If people cannot argue nicely, it will be locked.

Instead of posting comments about how the mods don't remove insults or insulting people in turn, *please* report insults & personal attacks.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

This is interesting in a weird sort of way. Or should I say insightful
Screenshot (11).png
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

thirdcrank wrote: 5 Apr 2021, 3:01pm This is interesting in a weird sort of way. Or should I say insightful
The quoting post was removed, so I'm afraid your went with it. The results mean that the posts were retained in a moderator-only area of the forum.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Can't be sure what was deleted and why. I called myself a left-whinger, at least that was not deleted, +1
Perhaps material that is to be deleted could be marked grey or italic, and left visible for a few hours, so we know what is not allowed?

Otherwise I regret that the situation reminds me a bit of sex education for teenagers, where one carefully avoids talking about what one is trying to talk about
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 5 Apr 2021, 3:47pm, edited 1 time in total.
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mjr

Post by mjr »

Vorpal wrote: 5 Apr 2021, 2:51pm Instead of posting comments about how the mods don't remove insults or insulting people in turn, *please* report insults & personal attacks.
I did both. Most get closed without noticeable edit, except for one today.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Cyril Haearn wrote: 5 Apr 2021, 3:44pm Perhaps material that is deleted could be marked grey or italic, and left visible for a few hours, so we know what is not allowed?
If the disapproval and warnings system was used, rather than perverting the system by moving posts to a private board, I think it would notify posters of their infractions so they might learn from them. Instead, the current misuse of phpbb means offenders rarely notice their offences and carry on spewing bile and overloading mods.
Last edited by mjr on 5 Apr 2021, 3:59pm, edited 1 time in total.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

VinceLedge wrote: 5 Apr 2021, 1:51pm I am loving the polite commenting and mild insults on this thread and the forum in general, it is such a refreshing change to many discussions on other social media, where after any initial disagreement posters descend to an amazing exchange of insults which is not PC and can be very educational :shock: :shock:
It is indeed a nice little forum, a rare sunny glade in a big bad internet. Hope it is kept that way.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

mjr wrote: 5 Apr 2021, 3:46pm
Vorpal wrote: 5 Apr 2021, 2:51pm Instead of posting comments about how the mods don't remove insults or insulting people in turn, *please* report insults & personal attacks.
I did both. Most get closed without noticeable edit, except for one today.
A number of posts have been edited on this thread over the last few days, but there are only a couple of reports in the logs,
Something may have been lost in software changes?
mjr

Post by mjr »

Vorpal wrote: 5 Apr 2021, 3:57pm,
Something may have been lost in software changes?
It is possible. The closures are not on my "manage notifications" tab. I don't know if mods can prevent the notification, as one in particular must be fed up with PMs about his refusals to remove personal attacks.