should politics be banned on the forum?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
thirdcrank

Re: should politics be banned on the forum?

Post by thirdcrank »

mjr wrote: 5 Apr 2021, 4:01pm
Vorpal wrote: 5 Apr 2021, 3:57pm,
Something may have been lost in software changes?
It is possible. The closures are not on my "manage notifications" tab. I don't know if mods can prevent the notification, as one in particular must be fed up with PMs about his refusals to remove personal attacks.
I'm really baffled here. I really am trying to understand. I don't want to do anything which might lead to aggravating things but what are you describing as a personal attack here?
mjr

Post by mjr »

thirdcrank wrote: 5 Apr 2021, 4:19pm I'm really baffled here. I really am trying to understand. I don't want to do anything which might lead to aggravating things but what are you describing as a personal attack here?
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=143698&p=1577261#p1577261 (calling another person's actions ludicrous)

viewtopic.php?p=1467451#p1467451 (hopefully obvious)

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=144197&p=1590427#p1590427 ("hallowed halls" used as euphemism)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

mjr wrote: 5 Apr 2021, 5:33pm
thirdcrank wrote: 5 Apr 2021, 4:19pm I'm really baffled here. I really am trying to understand. I don't want to do anything which might lead to aggravating things but what are you describing as a personal attack here?
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=144197&p=1590427#p1590427 ("hallowed halls" used as euphemism)
The 'hallowed halls' is my reference and it's not a euphemism. The ' hallowed halls of academe' is a well-known phrase used to describe something respected but also perhaps slightly unworldly and out-of-touch. Dictionary example as below:

Hallowed is used to describe something that is respected and admired, usually because it is old, important, or has a good reputation. They protested that there was no place for a school of commerce in their hallowed halls of learning

I was using it to say that 'Yes - I understand that an action can be explained in a purely factual and literally academic manner - but that was not the way a third party was really carrying out that action' i.e. they had an ulterior motive. And the third party was nobody on this forum - it was a political party.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Hallowed halls.. Dreaming Spires of Oxford, Groves of Academe, +1!
Who reports posts, people feeling insulted themselves, or third parties?

I think the situation with secual or other harassment of certain groups has been mentioned here before. I am not black or female so I may not be able to understand when they feel insulted. When someone feels insulted, this should generally be accepted and the post deleted
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 5 Apr 2021, 5:56pm, edited 1 time in total.
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mjr

Post by mjr »

"you are further stuck up the hallowed halls of academe than l thought" can stand on its own merits as a comment that should have been moderated out IMO. The meaning of "hallowed halls" is as given, but it is not where someone is usually accused of being "stuck up"!

And "you" there seems to be addressing another forum member, not a political party.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Populism relates to or characteristic of a political approach that strives to appeal to ordinary people who feel that their concerns are disregarded by established elite groups.

Xenophobia is the fear and hatred of strangers or foreigners

These, we are informed are the reasons a majority voted twice to leave the EU.

These slightly insulting assertions are nothing to do with why anyone I know voted to leave the EU and are typical of what I constantly hear from people piqued by the fact we left.

Whilst there is a tiny minority of people who feel they have been ignored and others who are racist who voted for Brexit I think this sort of nonsense shouldnt go unchallenged.

Because I addressed the person responsible for these assertions directly this is apparently not allowed and my post was deleted.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

mjr wrote: 5 Apr 2021, 5:54pm "you are further stuck up the hallowed halls of academe than l thought" can stand on its own merits as a comment that should have been moderated out IMO. The meaning of "hallowed halls" is as given, but it is not where someone is usually accused of being "stuck up"!

And "you" there seems to be addressing another forum member, not a political party.
I'm pretty sure the poster in question had/has an academic career - (I have asked and he declined to say - as is his right). The topic was the flags and flying of - if that's not the way you read it I can only apologise for my lack of clarity. I am of course an uneducated northerner who could never claim to be as sophisticated as the inhabitants of Lynn.... :D
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=143698&p=1577261#p1577261 (calling another person's actions ludicrous)

viewtopic.php?p=1467451#p1467451 (hopefully obvious)

Thanks for that response
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Please stop the bickering & directly addressing others on the forum with terms that are likely to offend them.

Thanks.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
slowster

Post by slowster »

That is not a personal attack. Ironically, given the context, it was a logical fallacy: an appeal to ridicule.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_to_ridicule
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

al_yrpal wrote: 5 Apr 2021, 5:56pm Populism relates to or characteristic of a political approach that strives to appeal to ordinary people who feel that their concerns are disregarded by established elite groups.

Xenophobia is the fear and hatred of strangers or foreigners

These, we are informed are the reasons a majority voted twice to leave the EU.

These slightly insulting assertions are nothing to do with why anyone I know voted to leave the EU and are typical of what I constantly hear from people piqued by the fact we left.

Whilst there is a tiny minority of people who feel they have been ignored and others who are racist who voted for Brexit I think this sort of nonsense shouldnt go unchallenged.

Because I addressed the person responsible for these assertions directly this is apparently not allowed and my post was deleted.

Al
Al: I'm trying to make sense of this thread. Can you confirm whether the deleted post you are referring to above is the one quoted here:

viewtopic.php?p=1592427#p1592427
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

Cyril Haearn wrote: 5 Apr 2021, 5:53pmWhen someone feels insulted, this should generally be accepted and the post deleted
I disagree. Somebody may feel insulted without any justification to feel that way.
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

Vorpal wrote: 5 Apr 2021, 8:53pm Please stop the bickering & directly addressing others on the forum with terms that are likely to offend them.

Thanks.
Would you prefer it if we just stopped "directly addressing others" completely? That would make everything nice and "polite" wouldn't it? Lest any forum members suffer emotional trauma when they discover that there are other people who hold contrary views.
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

Vorpal wrote: 5 Apr 2021, 8:53pm Please stop the bickering & directly addressing others on the forum with terms that are likely to offend them.

Thanks.
Do you have a guide as to "terms that are likely to offend" others? Given the wide range of language that appears to "offend" some posters, it would be useful if the mods gave us a clue.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Unfortunately the only way to reduce not stop the bickering is by banning political threads. The bickering that remains will be less common and usually revolve around contentious technical topics which is cycle related. To stop them you'd be stopping part of what a cycling forum best serves its users with.