Boat Race 2021

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Philip Benstead

Boat Race 2021

Post by Philip Benstead »

I am watching the boat race but for a moment I thought I was watching a panel show on ITV?
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
cycleruk

Re: Boat Race 2021

Post by cycleruk »

Stopped watching it due to all palaver. Have it playing on the PC in the background waiting for the race to start. Then will watch it.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

I agree, what a lot of nonsense. One of the selling points of the boat race has always been the chariots of fire style faux amateurism. We all know thatisnt really true but we don’t need all the flashing lights and ‘who’s the best mother in the boat’ questions! My £5 on Hull was wasted again...
pete75

Post by pete75 »

geocycle wrote: 4 Apr 2021, 5:25pm I agree, what a lot of nonsense. One of the selling points of the boat race has always been the chariots of fire style faux amateurism. We all know thatisnt really true but we don’t need all the flashing lights and ‘who’s the best mother in the boat’ questions! My £5 on Hull was wasted again...
Yep. Just how much is being offered an Oxbridge scholarship through rowing ability actually worth.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

But for anybody who is actually interested in learning the truth behind the specifics of "Rowing Scholarships", Google is your friend. You could start with:

"oxford rowing scholarship"

which first returns:

https://oubc.org.uk/row-for-oxford/#:~: ... olarships.

including the information that "Please note that you must be enrolled on a full-time course at Oxford University to be eligible to row in The Boat Race. Furthermore, in accordance with The Boat Race rules, OUBC does not offer rowing scholarships."

So, it seems the Boat Race specifically excludes oarsmen and women who have been awarded a rowing scholarship.

A quick Google for rowing scholarships comes up with plenty at universities other than Cambridge and Oxford. But of course universities like Exeter aren't targets for the envious bile that is directed at "Oxbridge" (wherever that is). The only Oxford or Cambridge rowing scholarship I could find is a single award of £175 for students at Lincoln College.

In general, the oft repeated blather about Cambridge and Oxford being just for the "elite" pampered rich is, in my experience, drivel. I have two children, one of whom graduated from Cambridge, another who is at the moment at a northern "new university". It was considerably cheaper, both for him, and us, when my son attended Cambridge, than it is for our daughter. The grants and bursaries which were available, which were means tested, made his time there easier for everybody, as our income is relatively modest.

Where Oxford and Cambridge can be described as "elite" is in their academic standards and attainments. That those universities attract some of the most academically gifted from around the world is not surprising. That some of those might also be excellent sportsmen and women should also come as no surprise.
Last edited by mikeymo on 11 Apr 2021, 1:47pm, edited 4 times in total.