Kindle as disk, not seen

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
simonineaston

Kindle as disk, not seen

Post by simonineaston »

I turn in desparation to you good folks... my Kindle's disk (5th gen paperwhite) won't mount on my MBP, neither in Calibre, nor in Finder, however it pops up like a good 'un when I tried it on my work laptop running W10. Both Calibre and the Kindle (fully charged) itself are up-to-date. Any suggestions?
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Jdsk

Re: Kindle as disk, not seen

Post by Jdsk »

Has it previously worked with that Mac and that USB cable?

Jonathan

PS: I never use a wired connection to our Kindles...
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Has always worked fine on this MBP, with any cable and still pops up fine on my W10 work laptop, so have pressed ahead and downloaded the books missing from Calibre, via Dropbox. Now I'm confident I have all my books safely backed up, I'm gonna reset the Kindle to factory settings and if there's still a problem, think about replacing it - it's nearly ten years old.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Interesting problem. And I'm familiar with it on Garmin devices...

What does it say in About this Mac... System Report... USB Device Tree?

I'd do the same... backup and factory reset.

Jonathan

PS: But why the wired connection?
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Jdsk wrote: 6 Apr 2021, 1:57pmPS: I never use a wired connection to our Kindles...
I'm surprised to read that. Almost half the books on my Kindle are out-of-copyright, mostly older classics, downloaded free from gutenberg.org (plus one or two I've written myself 8) ). I download them on the PC and then copy by USB to the Kindle. I suppose I could download then direct using the Kindle's browser, but the computer's a lot easier!

Is there a problem with connecting a Kindle by wire?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Not that I know, apart from Simon's.

I buy books from the Kindle Store. I use it for carrying travel documents. I create Kindle books for trips. But I upload all of those over a wireless connection.

I haven't tried anything from Project Gutenberg but I will now.

Why do you find it easier to use a wired connection, please?

Jonathan

PS: Does everyone know about the free online "convert" service for creating books on the fly?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jdsk wrote: 6 Apr 2021, 5:48pmI haven't tried anything from Project Gutenberg but I will now.
Worked fine. Selected the Kindle version, downloaded to a Mac, emailed it through the "convert" system, it loaded very soon afterwards.

Jonathan
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

It had not occured to me to investigate the benefits of a wi-fi connection to transfer books twixt Calibre & Kindle because:
  • by default, my Kindle's in so-called Aeroplane mode, ie the wi-fi is turned off, the intention being to minimise battery use.
  • connection by cable to recharge the Kindle's battery via one of the house Macs seems to coincide with my desire to peruse the contents of the library.
S
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

: - )

Mine's in Aeroplane mode except when uploading. But I often upload when I don't have a Mac with me, for example when cycle touring... that might be why I always do it that way.

Jonathan
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Jdsk wrote: 6 Apr 2021, 5:48pmI haven't tried anything from Project Gutenberg but I will now.
Do! It's an excellent resource. I've used it a lot, and make a modest (voluntary) regular contribution to the site in return. Essentially, the work of any author who died 70 or more years ago, will be out of copyright in the UK and free-to-download. Most but not all authors are represented: George Orwell (who died in January 1950) ought to be there, but he isn't yet. Perhaps they take time to digitise everything.
Why do you find it easier to use a wired connection, please?
I'm one of those old geezers, derided by so many of the modern tech wizards, who doesn't use a smartphone :oops: . I find typing in stuff on a touch-screen tedious, to say the least. Hence I search for the book on a computer with a proper keyboard and a proper mouse. And then it takes only a second to plug in the USB connector. That's all! :)

BTW, I sometimes prefer to copy across documents in pdf format, having first adjusted them (in OpenOffice) to a suitable font and layout. Kindle can accept pdf files. I find the best font size for my eyesight is 18pt, but others' eyes may vary - experiment. With pdf you lose some of the Kindle features such as changing font on the fly. But you also lose some of the bugs inherent in Kindle format books. And you can spellcheck the text before installing it....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Plus one for PG! Bit roughNready round the edges, but what a fabulous resource - got my e-book collection kicked-started :-)
Also small plug for a documentary on YT, featuring Stephen Fry on the subject of yer actual Gutenburg, he of the press, which turns out to have been an adapted wine press... here
S
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

I use a kindle and buy my books on Amazon. I've had problems buying some books when on a French IP.
A message would appear telling me that the book wasn't available in my country.
I got around this by buying the books on the laptop using a proxy server. Once bought, I move them to the Kindle, turning off the aeroplane setting.
I'm not very techy so this may seem very simple but it was a lifeline obtaining English language books here.
Due to Covid it's over a year since meeting my family in the UK and I can't see a time in the near future when I can.