Padlocks on Bridges

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
VinceLedge

Padlocks on Bridges

Post by VinceLedge »

Interesting in the news about the bridge in Bakewell with 1000s of padlocks on it , used as some strange memorial/commemoration habit. Even someone referring to them today as 'lovelocks'
This seems to have become a strange tradition worldwide, seems like a waste of a padlock to me and looks pretty awful on bridges!
Any supporters of the idea on here?
Jdsk

Re: Padlocks on Bridges

Post by Jdsk »

How it (right have) started, and some local variations:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_lock

When I see them I try to imagine what was in the mind of the locker.

Jonathan
Syd

Post by Syd »

Unsightly mess, IMHO, as they hang there rusting and decaying.

They have already caused the partial collapse of a bridge in Paris.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-europe-27758940
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Agree: they’re a mess and lower the visual amenity of the area/public realm. Treat them like fly tips, graffiti, and remove.

Some of those locations would take day(s) to remove the items.

Seems to be a worldwide trend that has spread to Britain.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
Elizabeth_S

Post by Elizabeth_S »

I saw one recently on a local footbridge maybe hoping to start something, kind of sad because everyone local knows someone died there.
goosegog

Post by goosegog »

There is a bridge in Salzburg where these locks had to be removed they were overloading the bridge. The railway bridge in Cologne has an estimated 4 tons of locks, these rattle when trains pass causing wear and corrosion to the bridge.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Syd wrote: 7 Apr 2021, 1:58pm Unsightly mess, IMHO, as they hang there rusting and decaying.

They have already caused the partial collapse of a bridge in Paris.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-europe-27758940
What were the Authorities doing leaving them like that? Obvious outcome was obvious.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

It isn't widely known but the Chinese kick-started their whole economic revival by flooding the world with inexpensive padlocks, at the same time as launching a series of promotional vidoes on YT (since taken down natch) promoting the concept of lovelocks - and in some cases offering free trips to Beijing!!
Brilliant, I'd say - it's worked out great for them :-) If only we Brits could come up with something as innovatory and imaginative...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Iirc one French bridge had to have the railings covered over with safety glass panels so nobody could put padlocks on them.

Personally I think they're vandalism and should be removed and anyone caught treated as vandals under whatever law covers vandalism.

As a side note, why can't we find a better set of words than vandals and vandalism? Iirc the vandals were heavily labeled by the Romans and were quite possibly a better society to live in than the roman society.

I did read or hear somewhere that one tribal group or nation got so unfairly libelled by Romans when the reality was they were the only part of the world where all Christian sects of the time were allowed. The capital city i heard had churches facing different directions. One pointed to Jerusalem and the other to the direction of Eastern Christians. I believe. Plus temples to other religions. Plus art and architecture that was pretty good for the time. That might even be the vandals or similar barbarians from the east

Anyway I get the impression vandals got a bad rep now they're the word for wanton damage to other's property.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Tangled Metal wrote: 7 Apr 2021, 4:39pm Anyway I get the impression vandals got a bad rep now they're the word for wanton damage to other's property.
Never mind the Vandals, look at you having a pop at the Chinese with their wonton damage.
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

:D :D