Returning to the shops

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
pwa

Returning to the shops

Post by pwa »

I have been watching news stories about "non-essential" shops opening up as the lockdown eases, and it has got me wondering whether we will find that a significant proportion of shoppers will not return to real bricks-and-mortar shops, having got used to online shopping.

For myself, I have never been all that keen on shopping trips, but the idea of taking a day out to browse the shops in Cardiff (our nearest city) seems more unappealing than ever. I can't imagine what will make me resume shopping there, ever. I think I am not going to go back to city centre shopping. It isn't worries about Covid, it is just the tedium of crowds and queues and not being able to find what I want without a lot of leg work.

Is anyone else feeling the same way?
Paulatic

Re: Returning to the shops

Post by Paulatic »

Discussing exactly this with a walking pal the other day. Twelve months has been a long time and within that time a lot of us have changed our habits. We used to go shopping to nearest big town (40 ml round trip) every couple of weeks. Been there once this year. He used to be in big town every week and hasn’t been at this year making do with nearer, dearer, less choice options.
The money we once spent on fuel has changed to delivery costs. I’ve tried to avoid buying from big businesses as much as possible and we’ve spent a lot more with small innovative young companies as local as we can. Also our experience here of delivery companies is an excellent faultless service. Our DPD & Hermes man are a shining light along with the Postman.
The only thing which hasn’t worked for me is buying footwear online. Sitting down in a shop and trying on a few pairs takes some beating. Returns policy is also worth studying as with some companies that would entail a 40 ml trip to big town DPD drop off point.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Syd

Post by Syd »

Whilst I have booked an appointment at a shop, for the day they are due to reopen, I seldom visited high shops before Covid and that has not changed.

The sole reason that the appointment above is booked is to collect a watch that was put in for service last year.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Similar feeling, but it was like that before the outbreak.

And of course this connects to online shopping, delivery systems, lockers, business rates, funding of local government, conversion of commercial property to housing, working from home, and walking and cycling.

In another thread I referred to a retailer introducing a system for bringing several eg pairs of shoes and the courier waiting for most of them to be returned. That might catch on.

Any positive views on how these changes could improve urban areas and promote healthier lifestyles?

Jonathan
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

pwa wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 7:02am
Is anyone else feeling the same way?
No. Suppose I've bought 4 out of the past 5 pairs of boots/shoes online. And if buying a new coat or whatever would be reviewing stuff online, whilst still making a final check on the high street - where I suppose shirts, towels, socks or whatever have been bought.

But online shopping doesn't really compare with a pleasant 4.5 mile walk down a disused rail line, moorlands behind, stunning coastline ahead. Or then catching the train to a city effectively established 1500 years ago (Nb. Depending how you determine establishment date). Or the hour or two browsing through titles in a bookshop. Or noting Bryan or whoever playing a reel a bit slowly next to the monument and having a chat about an upcoming contest in Stirling, accepting a lift to it at the weekend. Or dropping in to hear Evensong on leaving, whilst perhaps noting architectual detail on the Cathedral. Suppose actually visiting a place can be a much more fulfilling experience than simply looking online :wink:
mjr

Post by mjr »

The shops are certainly busy here this week.

I think my favourites are the shops where I can look online to confirm that they have what I think I want before I go there, and click-and-collect it if I am sure it is suitable. Best of both worlds.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Ride-sleep-repeat

Post by Ride-sleep-repeat »

gbnz wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 9:31am But online shopping doesn't really compare with a pleasant 4.5 mile walk down a disused rail line, moorlands behind, stunning coastline ahead. Or then catching the train to a city effectively established 1500 years ago (Nb. Depending how you determine establishment date). Or the hour or two browsing through titles in a bookshop. Or noting Bryan or whoever playing a reel a bit slowly next to the monument and having a chat about an upcoming contest in Stirling, accepting a lift to it at the weekend. Or dropping in to hear Evensong on leaving, whilst perhaps noting architectual detail on the Cathedral. Suppose actually visiting a place can be a much more fulfilling experience than simply looking online :wink:
I like to visit a place just for the sake of it 8) Look at the buildings instead of inside them.
I can't remember the last time I bought any clothing from a physical shop even pre-Covid!
It's just easier to order online.I used to try stuff on instore then buy online but I don't need to do this now.The time I save going into town or to the retail parks is put to much better use 8)
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I can’t return to shops because i never went there in the first place, or rarely. I have bought almost entirely online or prior to that mail order for a couple of decades or more. M and S for my smalls, Alpkit or Rohan for out door stuff and smart stuff (rare now as I don’t go to work) from Charles Trywhitt or Brooke Taverner. Shoes at Hotter. Having got stuff that fits reordering is easy. My walking boots were acquired in a store, Cotswold, for obvious reasons of fit.

I did go to GO for a waterproof as I needed it in an extreme hurry during lockdown but that was a mistake.
John
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I buy in person, to avoid causing even more accursed delivery drivers plaguing my leafy suburb. Don't need to buy much, I have enough shoes, cycles, books :wink:
Could fancy a trip to a 1500 year old city mind, if allowed. By train of course
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Cyril Haearn wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 8:12pm I buy in person, to avoid causing even more accursed delivery drivers plaguing my leafy suburb. Don't need to buy much, I have enough shoes, cycles, books :wink:
Could fancy a trip to a 1500 year old city mind, if allowed. By train of course
+ 1. Have never really had a buying mentality, with the exception of books. And their purchase largely ceased when I rediscovered libraries! And trips to a 1500 year old city?

Suppose last couple of years shopping has been in a town initially established by the Romans, the core surrounded by the largest 15th century civil engineering works undertaken in Europe, the riverside walk under perhaps the largest civil engineering structure built in the 1800's, the area surrounded by a huge estuary, critically important for English agricultural production for 1700 years, with evidence of the ice flows 20000 years ago., passing numerous stone age fort structures on the bus journey there........Suppose I could save time and buy online. What would I miss?
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I don’t get more drivers in my leafy suburb.
A I don’t get much stuff.
B I don’t live in a leafy suburb.
C deliveries are mostly by Royal Mail.
John