Bicycle-drawn hearse brings cycling advocate on his last journey

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mike Sales

Bicycle-drawn hearse brings cycling advocate on his last journey

Post by Mike Sales »

Paddy Cahill was a passionate cycle advocate and a filmmaker who combined the two to telling effect during his lifetime.

On Monday he made his last journey through Dublin’s streets on a bicycle-drawn hearse having died at the age of 44 after a long illness. In accordance with his dying wishes, his brother Conor cycled his coffin to Glasnevin Cemetery. Dozens of other cyclists followed behind as the cortege made its way through the city.
Wouldn't you like to go this way?
image.jpg
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland ... -1.4535349
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
rjb

Re: Bicycle-drawn hearse brings cycling advocate on his last journey

Post by rjb »

Many other services are available
End of the road ride.

At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Speaking seriously on a serious subject, I would suggest that anybody who has any preference for their funeral arrangements should talk it over with whoever will be left to organise it. My personal attitude is that death is final so minimise the imposition on others. Put another way, give them total discretion. In this example, it might be extraordinarily difficult in some parts of the country to arrange a cycle/hearse.

I see they now advertise direct funerals - straight from undertaker to crem with no faffing. That would be my choice but survivors might not like it.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

thirdcrank wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 10:43am
Speaking seriously on a serious subject, I would suggest that anybody who has any preference for their funeral arrangements should talk it over with whoever will be left to organise it. My personal attitude is that death is final so minimise the imposition on others. Put another way, give them total discretion. In this example, it might be extraordinarily difficult in some parts of the country to arrange a cycle/hearse.

I see they now advertise direct funerals - straight from undertaker to crem with no faffing. That would be my choice but survivors might not like it.
I agree with your points.
Minimum fuss does appeal to me.
But when I have spent so much of my life avoiding motor travel as much as possible, sometimes not sitting in a car for years at a time, I would prefer to leave this world in the same way.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I've read somewhere in the last couple of days that whenever his funeral was discussed, the D of E tended to say something like "Just shove me in the back of a Land Rover and take me back to Windsor" and this became self-fulfilling in that two Land Rovers were prepared for this a while ago. In a similar vein, I've suggested the regular refuse collection (for me, not HRH) but it wouldn't be fair on the personnel and survivors might not like it either.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

thirdcrank wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 3:13pm I've read somewhere in the last couple of days that whenever his funeral was discussed, the D of E tended to say something like "Just shove me in the back of a Land Rover and take me back to Windsor" and this became self-fulfilling in that two Land Rovers were prepared for this a while ago. In a similar vein, I've suggested the regular refuse collection (for me, not HRH) but it wouldn't be fair on the personnel and survivors might not like it either.
Didn't I read that he designed the Land Rover conversion himself?
Yes, I did.
A specially modified Land Rover will be used to transport the Duke of Edinburgh’s coffin at his funeral on Saturday.

Prince Philip helped design the vehicle – which is believed to be a modified Defender 130 Gun Bus – himself.
The Defender 130 Gun Bus was commissioned in 2005, when the Duke was still in his early 80s.

It is modified to be able to carry a coffin. It is believed to be built onto a galvanised chassis with a hand–built rear body, and is dark green in colour.

A Buckingham Palace spokesperson said: “The Duke had a great interest in design so that is where the involvement of the Land Rover comes from.

“The Land Rover was very much part of the original plans as approved by the Duke.”
https://inews.co.uk/news/uk/prince-phil ... ned-952727

Perhaps I should start building my bicycle bier.
CliveyT

Post by CliveyT »

thirdcrank wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 10:43am I see they now advertise direct funerals - straight from undertaker to crem with no faffing. That would be my choice but survivors might not like it.
That's how my mother is going (and would have been anyway even without all the Covid restrictions on funerals). We're just waiting for them to work out cause of death and release the body
ymfb

Post by ymfb »

I’m all for simple, but would be pleased if some of my (motor) biker mates went for a blatt and enjoyed a full English in my memory.
Two wheels preferred.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi all, I've often wondered if it would be possible to take the final journey in a "Wheelie Bin"? Maybe it could be allowed if the correct colour one is used! Soylent Green springs to mind. :shock: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: MM
rjb

Post by rjb »

merseymouth wrote: 15 Apr 2021, 10:45am Hi all, I've often wondered if it would be possible to take the final journey in a "Wheelie Bin"? Maybe it could be allowed if the correct colour one is used! Soylent Green springs to mind. :shock: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: MM
I think they would notice if i put you in the food waste bin, Not all at once obviously as there is insufficient room, a head here, then a leg plus the entrails etc. Could take a few weeks. :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

thirdcrank wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 10:43am
Speaking seriously on a serious subject, I would suggest that anybody who has any preference for their funeral arrangements should talk it over with whoever will be left to organise it. My personal attitude is that death is final so minimise the imposition on others. Put another way, give them total discretion
Absolutely, I've asked that when I've finished with my body, it gets put out with the bins on Thursday morning. I've paid my council tax, might as well get full use from it :-)