Doner Kebab All Hype?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Ride-sleep-repeat

Re: Doner Kebab All Hype?

Post by Ride-sleep-repeat »

Cyril Haearn wrote: 15 Apr 2021, 10:26am Years ago I read about a popular pastime/competitive sport in areas with many asian eateries, consuming the hottest strongest curry one could find
Is that still a thing?
Yes.There's always one in a group who 'can eat the hottest'.Usually they can't :lol:
I do have a friend who can,and does and has never been beaten by a curry anywhere.He eats raw scotch bonnets without so much as a tear.
The only place he's been beaten was in a Mexican in LA.He told them to make it as hot as they could,then make it hotter,then when they thought it was as hot as it possibly could get to make it hotter still.
By his own admission he thought he was going to die :lol: :lol:
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Plenty of videos on Youtube of people trying to eat the 'hottest curry'. Here's one featuring a familiar character. And here's one where the guy actually finishes his curry....!

Me - I like something hot 'n' spicy if the occasion merits it. But I have my limits. The above are way out of my league! I sometimes make a fairly hot sauce as a condiment, so people can take as much or as little as they like. I think that's the sensible way.

Incidentally, whatever they may say in the videos, Indian food is mostly not about hotness. We had a (home-cooked) meal tonight which was scarcely hot at all. But it was tasty!
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Ride-sleep-repeat

Post by Ride-sleep-repeat »

661-Pete wrote: 15 Apr 2021, 8:41pm Incidentally, whatever they may say in the videos, Indian food is mostly not about hotness. We had a (home-cooked) meal tonight which was scarcely hot at all. But it was tasty!
I like hot curries,my wife doesn't.I make her Madras,Vindaloo,Jalfrezi etc but with the right amount of heat for her.It’s all about the spices.A mild Vindalloo is delicious but us Brits always tend to associate certain Curries with heat.
I've eaten in Curry houses that have made Jalfrezis too hot to eat and Vindaloos as mild as a Rogan Josh.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Vindaloo is more about sourness than hotness - whatever your local Indian takeaway serves up! We sometimes do a vindaloo recipe (from Yotam Ottolenghi's book) which is hardly hot at all. It's called "Two-potato Vindaloo": the two potatoes are ordinary ones and sweet potatoes combined. Very tasty - very mild - and vegan.

Incidentally, for meat-eaters, the traditional meat in Vindaloo is pork - so you won't get it in that form in Muslim-run eateries.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

Kofta or Shish kebab, the pitta in U.K. like stale bread.

Fresh shish lamb pieces -all cooked to order in Turkey makes UK version a bad example.

Doner avoid like the plague as don’t know how long it has been hanging around.
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

Some years ago I was at a conference down in Stoke on Trent. In the evening we had dinner, sitting with some of the English folk. After dinner the chairman of the association I was with announced that he was just away for a wee donner and asked if anyone wanted to join him.

"Have you not had enough?!" asked one of our (confused) English friends...

Unless you're Scottish you might not understand that, but it's a true story. :)
wirral_cyclist

Post by wirral_cyclist »

My local pizza place also has an elephants leg roundabout (the #1 pizza ingredient there) and he gives me the offcuts from each new reheat so usually Sun/Tue/Thu when he reuses previous days leg. My dog will eat it as it is supplied (often vaguely warm <gag>) However I take it home and put it in a the residual heat of an oven, and let the heat melt out the fat, and my does it POUR out, it really is a real eye opener just how much fat they contain!

I much prefer the full on Turkish doners.

Incidentally this fat drained doner meat is transformed into a taste crunchy treat, too crunchy for me, and this is the highest level treat to my dog and guarantees some of her best tricks outside said pizza emporium.
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

wirral_cyclist wrote: 26 Apr 2021, 2:00pm My local pizza place also has an elephants leg roundabout (the #1 pizza ingredient there) and he gives me the offcuts from each new reheat so usually Sun/Tue/Thu when he reuses previous days leg. My dog will eat it as it is supplied (often vaguely warm <gag>) However I take it home and put it in a the residual heat of an oven, and let the heat melt out the fat, and my does it POUR out, it really is a real eye opener just how much fat they contain!

I much prefer the full on Turkish doners.

Incidentally this fat drained doner meat is transformed into a taste crunchy treat, too crunchy for me, and this is the highest level treat to my dog and guarantees some of her best tricks outside said pizza emporium.
I think I must have worms, or something - you just made me hungry! :lol:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

kylecycler wrote: 17 Apr 2021, 7:06pm Some years ago I was at a conference down in Stoke on Trent. In the evening we had dinner, sitting with some of the English folk. After dinner the chairman of the association I was with announced that he was just away for a wee donner and asked if anyone wanted to join him.

Did he just want to visit the smallest room? Perhaps you could explain, most of us on these fora are Welsh :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

Cyril Haearn wrote: 26 Apr 2021, 7:09pm
kylecycler wrote: 17 Apr 2021, 7:06pm Some years ago I was at a conference down in Stoke on Trent. In the evening we had dinner, sitting with some of the English folk. After dinner the chairman of the association I was with announced that he was just away for a wee donner and asked if anyone wanted to join him.

Did he just want to visit the smallest room? Perhaps you could explain, most of us on these fora are Welsh :wink:
Nah, he meant he was going for an after-dinner walk - a 'donner' is a walk (the 'wee' bit was a red herring!) - he wanted to explore Stoke on Trent! :D

I was hoping somebody would ask. :lol:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

What time did he get back? Stoke* comprises several towns
Very good, taking a walk after dinner is recommended, helps the digestion. Learnt another Scots word recently, Iain Crichton Smith wrote about 'the messages', I couldnae puzzle it out. It means doing the shopping, errands (visiting post, doctor etc, by no means just buying), so now I talk about 'getting the messages' to confuse people :wink:

* 'we want our wet cold Wednesdays in Stoke' bleated the fans just, when protesting against the mon$t€r league plans
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies