Doner Kebab All Hype?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
bungle73

Doner Kebab All Hype?

Post by bungle73 »

Never had one of these before. I’ve recent started ordering using Uber Eats and this evening I decided to give one these elephant leg meals a try. I wasn’t that impressed tbh, and I ended up throwing a lot of it away. It didn’t help that I ordered one that was too big either because I couldn’t tell how much each size gave you. The way people rave about them you’d think they were the bee’s knees, but nah. I don’t think I will have one again. No wonder they mainly seem to get sold to people who have a lot to drink. I ordered some Ben and Jerry’s ice cream too, so I think I will tuck into that.
Jdsk

Re: Doner Kebab All Hype?

Post by Jdsk »

The first time I saw one was off Tottenham Court Road in 1974. I spent some time pondering which part of an animal it could be.

Jonathan
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

bungle73 wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 7:13pm Never had one of these before. I’ve recent started ordering using Uber Eats and this evening I decided to give one these elephant leg meals a try. I wasn’t that impressed tbh, and I ended up throwing a lot of it away. It didn’t help that I ordered one that was too big either because I couldn’t tell how much each size gave you. The way people rave about them you’d think they were the bee’s knees, but nah. I don’t think I will have one again. No wonder they mainly seem to get sold to people who have a lot to drink. I ordered some Ben and Jerry’s ice cream too, so I think I will tuck into that.
Incredibly unhealthy, dripping in fat, but brilliant when you’ve been to the pub and drank ten pints.

Donner pizza is even better.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Certainly a lot tastier than “Vegan Cheese” on another thread...
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
bungle73

Post by bungle73 »

markjohnobrien wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 7:22pm
bungle73 wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 7:13pm Never had one of these before. I’ve recent started ordering using Uber Eats and this evening I decided to give one these elephant leg meals a try. I wasn’t that impressed tbh, and I ended up throwing a lot of it away. It didn’t help that I ordered one that was too big either because I couldn’t tell how much each size gave you. The way people rave about them you’d think they were the bee’s knees, but nah. I don’t think I will have one again. No wonder they mainly seem to get sold to people who have a lot to drink. I ordered some Ben and Jerry’s ice cream too, so I think I will tuck into that.
Incredibly unhealthy, dripping in fat, but brilliant when you’ve been to the pub and drank ten pints.

Because you need to be drunk to think they taste good? I’m a one or two pints Real Ale guy rather than a ten pints of cheap lager guy.

I think next time I will stick with good old fashioned fish and chips rather than that, which the place I ordered from also sells. That’s what I had from them last week as an alternative to my nearest chip shop that I recently found out has a Scores on the Doors rating of one.......
PH

Post by PH »

Not all Doners are the same, when we're allowed to do such things, you should find a decent Turkish restaurant and try the real thing. Or find a decent recipe and make one.
I'm a huge fan of fish and chips, but there's plenty you could order through the Uber app that would put you off for life.
bungle73

Re: Doner Kebab All Hype

Post by bungle73 »

PH wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 7:38pm Not all Doners are the same, when we're allowed to do such things, you should find a decent Turkish restaurant and try the real thing. Or find a decent recipe and make one.
I'm a huge fan of fish and chips, but there's plenty you could order through the Uber app that would put you off for life.
The one I went with has decent reviews and their fish and chips was decent. Even putting the fish and the chips in separate boxes.

There are no Turkish restaurants anywhere near me afaik.

I should have gone with what I originally planned, Chinese or a McDonalds, which I’ve not had for years. But then I guess I wouldn’t have known what one was like and now I do.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

bungle73 wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 7:31pm

Because you need to be drunk to think they taste good? I’m a one or two pints Real Ale guy rather than a ten pints of cheap lager guy.

I think next time I will stick with good old fashioned fish and chips rather than that, which the place I ordered from also sells. That’s what I had from them last week as an alternative to my nearest chip shop that I recently found out has a Scores on the Doors rating of one.......
Excuse me: I wouldn’t touch lager with a barge pole but am a discerning CAMRA drinker, who travels the country visiting their pub(s) of the year, but can drink properly unlike you...
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Not showing much discernment in ordering on Uber: most of the food is crap.

Do some research and you’ll find that some restaurants do very good quality doner (still unhealthy though).
PH

Post by PH »

bungle73 wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 7:47pm But then I guess I wouldn’t have known what one was like and now I do.
Well you know what that one was like...
Ordering a kebab from a chip shop is unlikely to get you the best of either. it's the difference between buying your beer from a brewery or Asda. I deliver Just Eat and Deliveroo, I've never ordered anything from either.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Far better to cook oneself, cheaper, healthier, quicker, cleaner, no extra traffic, what is not to like?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
bungle73

Post by bungle73 »

markjohnobrien wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 7:52pm
bungle73 wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 7:31pm

Excuse me: I wouldn’t touch lager with a barge pole but am a discerning CAMRA drinker, who travels the country visiting their pub(s) of the year, but can drink properly unlike you...
What does that mean..............?
bungle73

Post by bungle73 »

markjohnobrien wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 7:56pm
Not showing much discernment in ordering on Uber: most of the food is crap.

Do some research and you’ll find that some restaurants do very good quality doner (still unhealthy though).
There's not much choice where I live.

And that's why you copy the name into Google to see what people have to say about them. :wink:
Last edited by bungle73 on 14 Apr 2021, 8:22pm, edited 1 time in total.
bungle73

Post by bungle73 »

PH wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 8:10pm
bungle73 wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 7:47pm But then I guess I wouldn’t have known what one was like and now I do.
Well you know what that one was like...
Ordering a kebab from a chip shop is unlikely to get you the best of either. it's the difference between buying your beer from a brewery or Asda. I deliver Just Eat and Deliveroo, I've never ordered anything from either.
Except that in Asda one can find all sorts of good beer from various breweries.

The previous two thing I ordered (one from the same place one not) were decent.
bungle73

Post by bungle73 »

Cyril Haearn wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 8:16pm Far better to cook oneself, cheaper, healthier, quicker, cleaner, no extra traffic, what is not to like?
I fancied something different.