Doner Kebab All Hype?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Paulatic

Re: Doner Kebab All Hype?

Post by Paulatic »

Thankfully the first Donner I had was very good I had everything on including the chilli sauce. It was a large one around 30 years ago in Edinburgh. A medium is more than enough for me now.
Had some poor ones since then but there again I’ve had some dire fish n chips over the years.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
bungle73

Post by bungle73 »

Paulatic wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 8:28pm Thankfully the first Donner I had was very good I had everything on including the chilli sauce. It was a large one around 30 years ago in Edinburgh. A medium is more than enough for me now.
Had some poor ones since then but there again I’ve had some dire fish n chips over the years.
I ordered a "medium" and it was enough to feed the five thousand.

If I were in Edinburgh right now I'd rather have a plate of haggis, neeps and tatties. Now that IS tasty. 8)
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Jdsk wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 7:14pm The first time I saw one was off Tottenham Court Road in 1974. I spent some time pondering which part of an animal it could be.

Jonathan
Go to a fatstock auction and see who buys all the cheap poorly finished animals. There’s your answer.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

markjohnobrien wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 7:52pm Excuse me: I wouldn’t touch lager with a barge pole but am a discerning CAMRA drinker...
Not any kind of lager? I've sampled a proper Weissbier in Germany and I will say it was a very pleasant tipple. And I used to also be a CAMRA fan - until I gave up drinking that is!

Regarding Doner, never tasted the animal (what happens to the other three legs? :lol: :lol: :lol: ) and wouldn't have wanted to even in our meat-eating days. Mrs P was adamant that she wouldn't touch one with the proverbial barge-pole. Who knows, she said, how long the meat has been stuck on that skewer? How well has it been cooked? Is it raw inside? Etc. etc....

I know it's much loved by many folks (my son amongst them) as a big improvement on the Big Mac - but just how safe is it - really? I believe some countries have legislation to curb some of the risks....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I last ate elephant's leg in about 1985 or so. Not for me, but I'm all over a nice shish or a home-made kofta :D
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

The best doner places, normally Turkish, have lovely kofta and shish.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
bungle73

Post by bungle73 »

Actually there wasn't really anything wrong with the meal itself - it didn't taste nasty or anything - it was just a bit too bland (even with garlic sauce) and far, far too much meat. I guess they're not for me.
PH

Re: Doner Kebab All Hype

Post by PH »

bungle73 wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 8:20pm Except that in Asda one can find all sorts of good beer from various breweries.
And plenty of rubbish beer... so if someone had a poor beer, would you expect them to say there were no good ones?
ymfb

Post by ymfb »

I had my first Donner recently for many years and almost certainly the first when I was sober. Numerous friends had recommended a shop in the next town, they also sell Pizza, which others in my family wanted. So I ordered a large with everything on, I think it cost £6.50, they had pizzas and were disappointed.

I loved the kebab, which I struggled to eat and didn’t trouble the pitta, the girls were not enthusiastic about the pizza and a few weeks later my wife tried the chicken shish, again excellent.

It’s bad for your waist, but without the pitta fairly low in carbs so I didn’t suffer a spike in my blood glucose (T2).

My preference is for ale and enjoyed a nice pint of Fursty Ferret last night, I used to think lager was a more ladies thing, but having spent sometime in Germany and Belgium I’m more open minded.
Two wheels preferred.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

I’ll drink dunkel which is an amazing dark, malty, beer from Austria and Germany. While, technically, it is a lager, it doesn’t taste or look like a lager (clear, light, fizzy).
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

bungle73 wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 8:33pm
Paulatic wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 8:28pm Thankfully the first Donner I had was very good I had everything on including the chilli sauce. It was a large one around 30 years ago in Edinburgh. A medium is more than enough for me now.

If I were in Edinburgh right now I'd rather have a plate of haggis, neeps and tatties. Now that IS tasty. 8)
When I did JOGLE some years ago I had deep-fried haggis in a restaurant in Fort Augustus. It had been been a century-plus day so I think I'd burnt enough calories to earn it (and the following day was century-plus too). But frankly it was awful, I've had many, many better doner kebabs....
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Ben@Forest wrote: 15 Apr 2021, 9:24am
bungle73 wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 8:33pm

When I did JOGLE some years ago I had deep-fried haggis in a restaurant in Fort Augustus. It had been been a century-plus day so I think I'd burnt enough calories to earn it (and the following day was century-plus too). But frankly it was awful, I've had many, many better doner kebabs....
At least you didn’t stop off in Glasgow and have a deep fried Mars bar...

The doner kebabs were probably a lot healthier.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Haggis shouldn't be deep fried. It is delicious when done properly and with the right accompaniments. Doner kebabs, on the other hand, should be banned by Health and Safety.

That is just my view, of course, but I am right!
John
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Oldjohnw wrote: 15 Apr 2021, 9:52am Haggis shouldn't be deep fried. It is delicious when done properly and with the right accompaniments. Doner kebabs, on the other hand, should be banned by Health and Safety.

That is just my view, of course, but I am right!
Bon, bon :)
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

bungle73 wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 8:18pm
markjohnobrien wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 7:52pm
bungle73 wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 7:31pm
Because you need to be drunk to think they taste good? I’m a one or two pints Real Ale guy rather than a ten pints of cheap lager guy.
Excuse me: I wouldn’t touch lager with a barge pole but am a discerning CAMRA drinker, who travels the country visiting their pub(s) of the year, but can drink properly unlike you...
What does that mean..............?
It means that some people think of drinking as an activity primarily design to kill brain cells, and others don't.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.