Mobility Scooter

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
merseymouth

Re: Mobility Scooter

Post by merseymouth »

Hello Elizabeth-S, Good point, accepted. But in my cousin's case she never rode in it!
Perhaps it needs to be limited to when the claimant is with the vehicle, in much the same way that the badge concession applies, not for use unless for the benefit of the proper person?
Every benefit has some folk abusing it, so there must be checks and balances. MM
pete75

Post by pete75 »

[XAP]Bob wrote: 18 Apr 2021, 2:19pm
merseymouth wrote: 17 Apr 2021, 5:18pm Hi all, The Invacar was brilliant on packed snow and ice, beautifully slideable! Super power drift with the Villiers motor, never tried the later ones.
They had a wonderful safety feature? To brake one pressed the steering tiller down, so if you slumped forward whilst nodding off you applied the brakes! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I used to drive my uncle's one, as walking over to his remote garage with his prosthetic was risky, so I was sent over. (I was a naughty boy as I was just 15 :roll: .
No good for taking hefty auntie out though, so he paid for his own E93A Ford Prefect with hand controls. Motorbility has become a burden on the tax payer that the Invacar never was, quite why they don't limit their being driven by the person with the disability is beyond me?
A cousin had a car provided by the scheme, never rode in it, just used as a freebie by a lazy young daughter! Toic Drift :oops: :oops: :oops:
TTFN MM

Not quite sure how you reckon on Motability being a burden on the tax payer?

https://www.motability.org.uk/Factsheet ... funded.pdf

The scheme is a lease, it's a good value lease, but it is a lease. But should I be obliged to pay for the motability car for me and have another one for my wife?

The motability insurance allows for three drivers, none of whom need to be person who is awarded the higher rate of mobility allowance (PIP/DLA) since that person isn't necessarily able to drive.

The blue badge scheme is entirely separate - and that's the one that shouldn't be used by other people (unless they are collecting/dropping off the badge holder of course).
It's paid for by PIP and DLA both of which are funded by the taxpayer , rightfully so in my opinion but they will be regarded as a burden by some of Conservative disposition.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

markjohnobrien wrote: 18 Apr 2021, 4:25pm Fun? Have you wacked your head today?

They are extremely slow and about as fun as watching paint dry.
:lol: :lol:
No, not whacked my head at all.

What's not fun about driving a vehicle? It's not that we NEED a mobility scooter and are forced to have one.
They are faster than walking pace, so not extremely slow, but it depends on what you are comparing it to.

Talking for myself here .............
I'm a fit and healthy chap in his late 60s. I ride a bike twice or so a week doing 20odd miles each time, sometimes 30 or 40miles.
I walk the dog every day, usually a couple of miles or more.
We live in a VERY hilly area and any time going out using leg power, is hard work. Some folk refuse to walk up some of the hills that I'm happy walk up ........ and I can cycle up as well.
Logging, cutting the grass, looking after our three acres of land and woodland, all keeps me sane and fit and healthy. Mainly sane! :D :D

What's wrong with a bit of fun on an electric go-kart?
Mick F. Cornwall
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

PIP and DLA are being paid anyway - and are, quite rightly, not means tested.

The fact that someone who gets the enhanced rate of mobility allowance has the option to spend (some of) that money directly on a vehicle, or have it paid to their bank account makes no difference to the taxpayer.
The motability scheme isn't a burden at all, it isn't even a cost.

And because it's a lease, there are various conditions - the vehicle must be primarily "for the benefit of" the person who has been awarded the enhanced rate mobility allowance. That benefit might be someone else being able to visit regularly, it might be someone else going to the shops for you, but it does have to be primarily for the person's benefit.

My wife uses "my" motability car for all sorts of things that aren't directly related to me, but that's fine - it is there primarily for my benefit.
There is no way I could have justified getting a new car, but having had one it has made a significant difference in terms of quality of life, and the benefits aren't ones I was expecting.

- We can have a conversation in car.
The only way the lease made economic sense to us was for a full EV, and the lack of noise has meant that we no longer need to use a radio mic, IEM receiver and neck loop to be able to have a conversation in the car.

- My ability to drive any significant distance.
In our previous vehicle (or others that I still occasionally drive) I could drive for two hours in a day, assuming I had a good night's sleep before, and didn't need to do anything else that day (also assuming motorway driving, good light, and light traffic).
I could really push that to two and half hours if I didn't need to do anything the next day either. When I say "didn't need to do anything", I mean I was absolutely good for nothing except lying on a sofa - I couldn't have a conversation with anyone...
The newer car has several driver aids (which seem to be frequently slated) which have enabled me to drive for three hours and still be able to hold conversations that evening. It's not self driving, but the reduction in cognitive load is really beneficial.

This last one comes back round to my point about people with disabilities not always being able to drive... And even when they can technically drive, the energy required, or the pain caused, may make it an 'emergency only' option.
Motability is limited to three drivers, which is ample for most uses - the fact that someone gets the lease and a family member seems to get more benefit from it than they do is probably much easier to say from outside a family than within. The one thing that it isn't is a "freebie"
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Mick F wrote: 18 Apr 2021, 8:33pm
markjohnobrien wrote: 18 Apr 2021, 4:25pm Fun? Have you wacked your head today?

They are extremely slow and about as fun as watching paint dry.
:lol: :lol:
No, not whacked my head at all.

What's not fun about driving a vehicle? It's not that we NEED a mobility scooter and are forced to have one.
They are faster than walking pace, so not extremely slow, but it depends on what you are comparing it to.

Talking for myself here .............
I'm a fit and healthy chap in his late 60s. I ride a bike twice or so a week doing 20odd miles each time, sometimes 30 or 40miles.
I walk the dog every day, usually a couple of miles or more.
We live in a VERY hilly area and any time going out using leg power, is hard work. Some folk refuse to walk up some of the hills that I'm happy walk up ........ and I can cycle up as well.
Logging, cutting the grass, looking after our three acres of land and woodland, all keeps me sane and fit and healthy. Mainly sane! :D :D

What's wrong with a bit of fun on an electric go-kart?
I think you might be somewhat dissapointed if you think it's an electric go kart.

You'd probably rather get a front wheel motor for the mercian...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

tandem1.jpg
There you go Mick F, you can go out together!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Don't forget, we've been to Benidorm a few times, and scooters are everywhere .......... or were when we were there.
They can go at quite a lick, and there are fit and healthy people using them as well as the infirm and/or elderly.

We discussed renting one for a few hours, but we couldn't find a company willing to do that. They rent by the week/month/long periods only.

Any road up, I'm off on Moulton in a few minutes. Just enough time to sign off from here and get washed and dressed, then out into the Cornish hills and valleys for 20odd miles of hard work pedalling. :D
Mick F. Cornwall