What if the Incas had colonised Europe?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
markjohnobrien

Re: What if the Incas had colonised Europe?

Post by markjohnobrien »

And while I’ve read lots of counterfactuals about WW2, these works are much broader in scope.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

markjohnobrien wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 1:37pm And while I’ve read lots of counterfactuals about WW2, these works are much broader in scope.
"These"? Guns, Germs and Steel is not a counterfactual. It is indeed much broader in scope, and full of knowledge from much of the world. I really do recommend it, it is fascinating.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mike Sales wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 1:39pm... Guns, Germs and Steel is not a counterfactual. It is indeed much broader in scope, and full of knowledge from much of the world. I really do recommend it, it is fascinating.
Totally agree.

Jonathan
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Mike Sales wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 1:39pm
markjohnobrien wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 1:37pm And while I’ve read lots of counterfactuals about WW2, these works are much broader in scope.
"These"? Guns, Germs and Steel is not a counterfactual. It is indeed much broader in scope, and full of knowledge from much of the world. I really do recommend it, it is fascinating.
Interesting: while, from the reviews I’ve seen, it seems very geographically determinist and downplays human innovation and agency, I’m not going to make the mistake of not reading the book based on reviews. I’ll definitely find the time to read.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Thanks to everyone for thought provoking posts.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

markjohnobrien wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 1:54pm
Interesting: while, from the reviews I’ve seen, it seems very geographically determinist and downplays human innovation and agency, I’m not going to make the mistake of not reading the book based on reviews. I’ll definitely find the time to read.
I hope you do; I would love to find what you make of it.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

markjohnobrien wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 1:54pmInteresting: while, from the reviews I’ve seen, it seems very geographically determinist and downplays human innovation and agency...
It's not so much that it plays down those human factors, more that regional variation in them doesn't account for the massive regional differences in development.

As you'll discover... : - )

Jonathan
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Mike Sales wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 1:39pm... Guns, Germs and Steel is not a counterfactual. It is indeed much broader in scope, and full of knowledge from much of the world. I really do recommend it, it is fascinating.
The cover of the book is interesting in it's use of a mosquito to represent "Germs". Apparently the reason why the Incas stayed high in the Andes was because they were scared of malaria so stayed above "the mosquito line" limiting their geographical range.

Amazing the Inca grasp of science and the scientific method e.g. their agricultural research station at Moray.

Ian
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Psamathe wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 2:05pm
The cover of the book is interesting in it's use of a mosquito to represent "Germs".
Ian
You clearly have a different edition: mine shows an antique pistol, a rack of test tubes, and what looks like a headset spanner with a tape wrapped handle.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

markjohnobrien wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 12:42pm Antonish is correct in one sense and wrong in another.

While the Inca’s understood the concept of the wheel, they never used them for transport ever which is amazing as all other major civilisations (Hittite; Greek; Roman; later Roman (Byzantine); Persian, etc, used the wheel extensively).

So, it is quite plausible that if they did conquer Europe, they’d have been sniffy about the wheel and forbade its use. Although the whole premise of the book is using European technologies against Europe.
It is quite likely they if they had conquered Europe they'd have seen the benefits of the wheel for transport, either before hand, or when they saw how it was used elsewhere.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Mike Sales wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 2:09pm
Psamathe wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 2:05pm
The cover of the book is interesting in it's use of a mosquito to represent "Germs".
Ian
You clearly have a different edition: mine shows an antique pistol, a rack of test tubes, and what looks like a headset spanner with a tape wrapped handle.
I don't have any edition at the moment. After it being recommended here I've added it to my list on Amazon so I'll buy it as I get through my list (and I saw the cover on Amazon).

Ian
6.5_lives_left

Post by 6.5_lives_left »

Given the number of lamas and alpacas I see when cycling around my location, you could be forgiven for thinking that the Incas had colonised these shores :)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

They might help in managing the outbreak...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-domain_antibody
https://www.rockefeller.edu/news/28238- ... -research/

Jonathan

PS: The camelids not the Buddhists... : - )
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Decathlon would be left wondering how to brand their stuff...

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

al_yrpal wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 2:26pm Decathlon would be left wondering how to brand their stuff...

Al
Very true!