Not everyone is an ******...

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Tiberius

Not everyone is an ******...

Post by Tiberius »

In a world where we regularky hear of poor buying and selling experiences, You know the thing, the 'ebay generation' bikes described as 'immaculate; that turn out to be dangerous heaps or people turning up to view and then pulling everything apart trying to screw every last penny out of the deal. Well I had a completely different experience yesterday.

I had advertised a bike for sale on Gumtree. The bike was in very good, used condition and fairly priced. Not cheap, just fair. Within a day of the advert going live I was contacted by a young man who wanted to view. A time/date was set for yesterday. It was a circa 200 miles round trip for him so I was half expecting a 'no show'

My buyer turned up on time as arranged. He had a good look around the bike and had a 10 minute spin on it around the block. He said straight away that he would buy it and then promptly paid me my asking price via bank transfer. We had a half hour, socially distanced, chat then we bundled the bike into his car and off he went. A few hours later I received a text from him to say how pleased he was with the bike and thanked me for such a pleasant transaction.

What a thoroughly decent bloke. The whole thing left me with a warm glow.
Grumpy-Grandad

Re: Not everyone is an ******...

Post by Grumpy-Grandad »

That sort of experience restores a faith in humanity :D
Steve
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Tiberius wrote: 23 Apr 2021, 7:19am In a world where we regularky hear of poor buying and selling experiences, You know the thing, the 'ebay generation' bikes described as 'immaculate; that turn out to be dangerous heaps or people turning up to view and then pulling everything apart trying to screw every last penny out of the deal. Well I had a completely different experience yesterday.

I had advertised a bike for sale on Gumtree. The bike was in very good, used condition and fairly priced. Not cheap, just fair. Within a day of the advert going live I was contacted by a young man who wanted to view. A time/date was set for yesterday. It was a circa 200 miles round trip for him so I was half expecting a 'no show'

My buyer turned up on time as arranged. He had a good look around the bike and had a 10 minute spin on it around the block. He said straight away that he would buy it and then promptly paid me my asking price via bank transfer. We had a half hour, socially distanced, chat then we bundled the bike into his car and off he went. A few hours later I received a text from him to say how pleased he was with the bike and thanked me for such a pleasant transaction.

What a thoroughly decent bloke. The whole thing left me with a warm glow.
Agree: it’s lovely. My good experiences in dealing with cycling people (and on this forum) vastly outweigh the negative.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

markjohnobrien wrote: 23 Apr 2021, 12:42pm Agree: it’s lovely. My good experiences in dealing with cycling people (and on this forum) vastly outweigh the negative.
Surely it's not that unusual though? Over the years I have sold about 12 to 14 cars or motorbikes, plus about 20 items on ebay which were collection only, including a garden shed which was sold on the basis that they dismantled it to take it away. I can't remember a really bad experience; many of the cars/motorbikes were bought by the first viewer. I don't remember being let down by anyone, though it once took a long time to guide someone to my house via phone, it was dark though - and even then they drove the car I was selling away.

I can only remember selling a bike once, though a couple must have lurked at my parents' house for a long time. Hence probably why I've got six.....(and I know that's not many on this forum!!)