Levelling Up

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
pete75

Levelling Up

Post by pete75 »

176425626_10158475094718740_5832007726020735918_n.jpg
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
francovendee

Re: Levelling Up

Post by francovendee »

That should make me laugh but it just makes me sad. I think levelling up is just another catch phrase and not taken seriously. :(
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Levelling up is what primary school kids are taught to do with sentences... adding superfluous adjectives/adverbs/clauses, which would get ripped out by any competent editor.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-43481341
This was three years ago
This was three years ago
How many of you in the private sector would like this sort of deal?
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

Just had to post this, it's nice to see that at least some people are beginning to realise how many lies are perpetrated by the rich and powerful - how has the 'trickle down' myth lasted so long!!
Trickle down.jpg
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

"ASA Ruling on Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities":
https://www.asa.org.uk/rulings/departme ... ities.html
includes:

We therefore concluded that the ads were not obviously identifiable as marketing communications. The ads breached CAP Code (Edition 12) rules 2.1 2.3 and 2.4 (Recognition of marketing communications).

and:

The ads must not appear again in their current form. We told the Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities, and Reach Plc to ensure that all future marketing communications were prominently and clearly identifiable as such.

Jonathan
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Stradageek wrote: 13 May 2021, 8:39am Just had to post this, it's nice to see that at least some people are beginning to realise how many lies are perpetrated by the rich and powerful - how has the 'trickle down' myth lasted so long!!

Trickle down.jpg
That's brilliant!
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 26 Apr 2021, 10:11am Hi,

85B7B0D8-6AF6-4839-AD82-4A27341326B2.jpeg

I think everyone at the manufacturing site I work at would think that's a very good pay deal. Put it this way, that would make our company the best paying manufacturing SME in the immediate area.

Of course that's not the public sector worker's problem. They pay taxes so like the perpetual motor they actually cost nothing to keep giving public sector above average pay increases. 😆
pwa

Post by pwa »

Tangled Metal wrote: 12 Oct 2022, 4:13pm
NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 26 Apr 2021, 10:11am Hi,

85B7B0D8-6AF6-4839-AD82-4A27341326B2.jpeg

I think everyone at the manufacturing site I work at would think that's a very good pay deal. Put it this way, that would make our company the best paying manufacturing SME in the immediate area.

Of course that's not the public sector worker's problem. They pay taxes so like the perpetual motor they actually cost nothing to keep giving public sector above average pay increases. 😆
6.5% over 3 years isn't that much, is it, really. After a decade and a bit of public sector pay falling behind. The lowest paid full time staff there will be getting a bit more than if they worked full time in Sainsburys. My son is a nurse, working in critical care, and he cannot pay his bills without doing a bit of extra agency work on top of his full time NHS stuff. He has reluctantly started to consider looking at the private sector instead of the NHS just to be able to make ends meet.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Sadly - indeed, almost unbelievably - the Tory right's agenda is to weaken and undermine the entire NHS until, as if by magic, the private sector will have to ride in on their white chargers to save us all from the enemy. Thus, people like Harding & Hancock and now Coffey, will achieve their dream of monetising the health and care of ordinary people. These people make me feel sick.
Unfortunately, the process is already firmly underway and pwa's son is just one of a great many victims. As someone who spent 5 years working in an icu, I can readily believe that working the extra jobs is something he finds upsetting. As if he doesn't give enough during his main job's shift... he has my full sympathy.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

Levelling up, the Northern Powerhouse ,anti-growth coalition-all excerpts from the sequel to 1984 ,available from Johnson Publishing.Title is rumoured to be Boris Bullshit,Truss Tales, Kwasi Katastrophes and other stories.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

"Levelling up: what England thinks":
https://ukandeu.ac.uk/research-papers/l ... nd-thinks/

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

"Public service cuts and disjointed funding systems for local services put ‘Levelling Up’ in danger":
https://ifs.org.uk/news/public-service- ... ing-danger

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Joint statement on rail services the north of England from five metropolitan mayors:
https://www.westyorks-ca.gov.uk/all-new ... to-a-halt/

Starts:
"As thousands of last-minute cancellations continue to make life miserable for people in the North, and cause serious damage to the economy, the Government remains in a state of paralysis having just appointed its third Transport Secretary in seven weeks.
"If this level of disruption was being experienced in other parts of the country, we believe action would already have been taken to improve matters. We do not accept that passengers in the North should be treated in this way and just expected to put up with it. We won’t."

Jonathan
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

Levelling up is Tory code for putting a little icing on the poorest region's cake, while furiously, surreptitiously eviscerating it from the bottom up. The NHS is doomed and without a genuine regime change, there's absolutely nothing we can do about it.