BBQs

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: BBQs

Post by Mick F »

No, it doesn't sound delicious at all.

Garlic?
Euch! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Mick F. Cornwall
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Mick F wrote: 28 Apr 2021, 3:45pm No, it doesn't sound delicious at all.

Garlic?
Euch! :shock: :shock: :shock:
(*sigh*) :lol: You can't please everyone.... :twisted:

Nothing to do with BBQs, yesterday we went out to nearby woods and picked wild garlic, aka ramsons, Allium ursinum, which grows in abundance there. I made this into a sort of pesto, with parmesan, pine nuts and olive oil. I don't suppose you'd like that either..... :? :? :?

Ah well, there's always baked beanz....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

We have wild garlic in abundance here too, all along the Cornish side of the river bank. Often take the dog a walk there, and will be probably down there this afternoon with him.

I'll take a photo.

Wild garlic doesn't smell like garlic. It's sweet and perfumed and not at all like "normal" garlic at all. I would imagine it would be ok AFAIK.

I like beanz! :D
Mick F. Cornwall
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Pete, were you using the leaves, bulbs or both?

My breakfast couple of times a week...

Smashed Avocado
Chopped cherry tomato
Half a garlic segment chopped up small
Virgin olive oil
Lime juice
Little bit of dried chilli flakes

On toast

Guacamole really

Would Mick like it?

Al :lol:

I like beans too...
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

al_yrpal wrote: 29 Apr 2021, 9:59amPete, were you using the leaves, bulbs or both?
Leaves only. As far as I know, it's illegal to dig up or uproot wild plants unless you have the landowner's permission. Take only one or two leaves from each plant, that way you won't damage the plant - but the stuff grows in such profusion round our way that you can gather as much as you need without moving from one spot. We meant to gather 150g - enough for the recipe - but when we got home we found we had over 300g, so I made two batches. You need a food processor or blender.

The leaves need to be well washed and coarsely chopped. The recipe we used is:
150g wild garlic leaves
1 small clove (cultivated) garlic, chopped (optional - omit if you're Mick F :lol: )
50g grated Parmesan (or veggie Parmesan-lookalike)
50g pine nuts, lightly toasted.
Juice and grated zest of ½ lemon.
100ml olive oil.
Pinch of salt.

Couldn't be easier! Blitz all the ingredients in food processor to a smooth-ish paste, and put in a screw top jar. Will keep in the fridge for up to 2 weeks (at least, that's what the recipe says).
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

al_yrpal wrote: 29 Apr 2021, 9:59amGuacamole really
Your recipe is almost identical to mine, except that I use a fresh green chilli, de-seeded and chopped, and I also add a handful of coriander leaf, chopped. The guacamole does tend to turn a bit brown after a few days, but it still tastes OK.
al_yrpal wrote: 29 Apr 2021, 9:59amWould Mick like it?
Well, my wife, who's normally quite OK with garlic in cooked dishes, says she's not too keen on this guaca, says it's too garlicky. So I guess, for Mick it's a no-no. He could try leaving out the dreaded garlic....
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, ditch the garlic.
Also ditch the whole idea of wack-a-mole for breakfast!
Ditch any idea of porridge too!

Toast and marmalade, or boiled eggs and toast, or bacon and egg bread and butter please.
Mick F. Cornwall
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Mick F wrote: 29 Apr 2021, 10:31am Toast and marmalade, or boiled eggs and toast, or bacon and egg bread and butter please.
You sound like the B&B landlord/landlady's dream guest! We're always tempted to make trouble when we stop at a B&B. Especially if the toast is chorleywood....
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Whack a Mole! :lol:

Well said Mick..

After lots of touring in Scotland I really like a slice of Stornaway black pudding or the Burnley copy with bacon and egg. A decent banger and a fried fresh tomato with herbs completes the occasional treat.

Al
{Sorry Pete!)
buryman

Post by buryman »

al_yrpal wrote: 29 Apr 2021, 12:52pm Whack a Mole! :lol:

Well said Mick..

After lots of touring in Scotland I really like a slice of Stornaway black pudding or the Burnley copy with bacon and egg. A decent banger and a fried fresh tomato with herbs completes the occasional treat.

Al
{Sorry Pete!)
Surely not Burnley but another place about 12 miles to the south.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

buryman wrote: 29 Apr 2021, 1:30pm
al_yrpal wrote: 29 Apr 2021, 12:52pm Whack a Mole! :lol:

Well said Mick..

Al
{Sorry Pete!)
Surely not Burnley but another place about 12 miles to the south.
I do beg your pardon. Recently bought a Bury one and enjoyed it. The traditional thinner ones dont seem to be as nice.

Al
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mick F wrote: 29 Apr 2021, 9:36am We have wild garlic in abundance here too, all along the Cornish side of the river bank. Often take the dog a walk there, and will be probably down there this afternoon with him.

I'll take a photo.
IMG_0547.jpg
IMG_0548.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Dont pick it close to the path, leg cocking and all that :D

Al
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

last year I had a hose reel wrapped around an old wheel rim bolted to the back wall. took it off and replaced it with one of those windy up jobbies. looking at the old rim I thought Barbi needs a removable grate then it can double as a fire pit.
20210429_165336.jpg
the slot in the side at about 10 oclock was where the hose feed came in but now doubles as a poker hole :D
20210429_165412.jpg
take the grate out and chuck lumps of old timber in works a treat
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.