BBQs

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: BBQs

Post by Mick F »

Brilliant! :D :D
Makes me want to have a BBQ ..............

................ except we have a fully functioning kitchen (solid fuel cooker and/or electric cooker) and a back door open to the outside patio with table and chairs ......................... :wink:

Some years ago, I considered (and it might still happen) out in the back yard, building a fireplace and chimney. We could sit out there in front of the fire and have a drink or three or four and watch the sun go down and the stars come out whilst keeping our tootsies warm.
Mick F. Cornwall
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Buy a Chimanea... Instant outdoor fire and great for burning dry garden waste... :)

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

al_yrpal wrote: 29 Apr 2021, 10:13pm Buy a Chimanea... Instant outdoor fire and great for burning dry garden waste... :)

Al
Now I like those and have considered buying one for colder evenings.
What I think should be banned are the gas power outdoor heaters. You know the type they have in the outside spaces of eating and drinking establishments. I expect these to increase as any open bar will be restricted to outside service.

I'm going to order some thermal underwear and avoid places that have these heaters. :D
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Totally agree Franco, gas outside heaters should be banned! Unfortunately my aged earthenware Chimanea got smashed by my daughters' mini plastic greenhouse that got picked up and flung around in high winds. I will get another one when we move shortly. I fancy sitting in front of it when I come out of the hot tub :lol:

I guess you can get really nice garlic over there! I really like those massive charcoal fired rotisseries that you get at French outdoor markets.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Wow! The thought of Al in a "Hot Tub" creates mental images of a cannibal's cooking pot!
Keep him on a rolling boil, season to taste :roll: :wink: :lol: IGICB MM
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Well, its there MM, looks good, dont know if it works, and it isnt mentioned in the particulars. But, if it doesnt I will get it going, spares seem easy to get. Looking forward to it. BBQs, Hot tub, theres a fire pit and a small lake, I will get a Chimenia too. :shock:
Its accompanied by a hole in the ceiling, woodworm, dry rot, rising damp, leaking roof, and a lot of other nasties. Long work programme ahead.

Al
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

About 25 years ago, when my children came camping with us and we had a large family tent, we were members of the C and C Club.

I used to enjoy their magazine - always paper then. Their environmental adviser was the late, climate change denying, Prof David Bellamy. For their letter of the month or star letter or whatever it was called they were awarding a gas patio heater.

I wrote a letter pointing out what terrible things these were and they really should offer something more appropriate.

Irony of ironies: I got star letter and won the patio heater. Conscience test and great temptation, because in this part of the world a nice easily switched on heater would be great. But I managed to find the courage to reject the prize. Of course it would just go to someone else so my point was probably, well, pointless. But my letter was published.
John
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

al_yrpal wrote: 30 Apr 2021, 4:26pm
Its accompanied by a hole in the ceiling, woodworm, dry rot, rising damp, leaking roof, and a lot of other nasties. Long work programme ahead.

Al
I, too, am about to move house. But at 72 I don’t have your optimism to set out on a long work programme!
John
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Oldjohnw wrote: 1 May 2021, 7:36am About 25 years ago, when my children came camping with us and we had a large family tent, we were members of the C and C Club.

I used to enjoy their magazine - always paper then. Their environmental adviser was the late, climate change denying, Prof David Bellamy. For their letter of the month or star letter or whatever it was called they were awarding a gas patio heater.

I wrote a letter pointing out what terrible things these were and they really should offer something more appropriate.

Irony of ironies: I got star letter and won the patio heater. Conscience test and great temptation, because in this part of the world a nice easily switched on heater would be great. But I managed to find the courage to reject the prize. Of course it would just go to someone else so my point was probably, well, pointless. But my letter was published.
:lol: :lol:
Just as well you aren’t a member of Caravan& Motorhome Club. I’m having great trouble holding back from writing to their letters page from a recent article. Your post has probably taught me not to bother. ...
The Club has always cared about the environment- but there is still work to be done says Sustainably Advisor Mark Feast
The then two pages go on to tell us about Mark. Mark is in his 30s and has travelled the world extensively in the pursuit of surf boarding. Mark then becomes increasingly annoying basically along the lines of teaching your granny to suck eggs. Have a car free day for example and leaves us with one tip. think before you buy advises waiting a day to make sure you want it or even a week for bigger items. Don’t know how the guy would cope with my strategy with months of deliberation and research just to buy a pair of socks. :lol:
The star letter in CAMH wins absolutely nothing :) phew!
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

al_yrpal wrote: 30 Apr 2021, 2:27pm Totally agree Franco, gas outside heaters should be banned! Unfortunately my aged earthenware Chimanea got smashed by my daughters' mini plastic greenhouse that got picked up and flung around in high winds. I will get another one when we move shortly. I fancy sitting in front of it when I come out of the hot tub :lol:

I guess you can get really nice garlic over there! I really like those massive charcoal fired rotisseries that you get at French outdoor markets.

Al
Garlic that we get in the supermarkets comes from other parts of the EU and it's variable in quality.
We used to get ours from the outdoor market, this is normally of French origin and very good.
We stopped going to markets although they are open.
We've had very low numbers but recently the numbers have shot up and here 10% is of the Brazil or SA type.
I'm vaccinated but my protection against these give me some concerns.
A cast iron Chimanea caught my eye but I walked on rapidly when I saw the price tag.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Franco, things have got much better here. In the whole of the West Country there is a total of 15 people with Covid. 11 of them in Exeter. The vaccination programme appears to be working very well although we still cant meet indoors or in the pub :(

French or Spanish produce is still readily available. Local fresh caught fish is abundant. The BBQ will be essential at our new place because all it has is an Aga :( .

Al
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

al_yrpal wrote: 1 May 2021, 9:04am things have got much better here. In the whole of the West Country there is a total of 15 people with Covid. 11 of them in Exeter.
There must be a lot somewhere I’d of thought when there has been over 2000 in SWEngland.
No wonder you’ve so much optimism where do you get your figures?
DA1E307C-AED0-4449-B435-4F92ADAF9234.jpeg
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Paulatic wrote: 1 May 2021, 9:24am
al_yrpal wrote: 1 May 2021, 9:04am things have got much better here. In the whole of the West Country there is a total of 15 people with Covid. 11 of them in Exeter.
There must be a lot somewhere I’d of thought when there has been over 2000 in SWEngland.
No wonder you’ve so much optimism where do you get your figures?
DA1E307C-AED0-4449-B435-4F92ADAF9234.jpeg
Announced on Spotlight the local BBC News. I am talking about folk in hospital not infections. Sorry for the confusion!

Al