BBQs

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cowsham

Re: BBQs

Post by Cowsham »

661-Pete wrote: 26 Apr 2021, 9:01am My sometime boss, who lives in Eastbourne, used to hold a BBQ in his garden every year to coincide with the local air show (he invited me a few times but we always found an excuse not to go). Well, one year they had some sort of mishap - don't know the details but something exploded - and they needed to call the fire brigade. A colleague of mine who was there, and who is an aspiring cartoonist, drew an excellent caricature of the event - with sausages and burgers flying into the air and bringing down fighter aircraft passing overhead (this didn't happen in Real Life :shock: ).

Now here's the punchline. My boss and I worked for a company that manufactured Fire Alarms....
:lol:
I am here. Where are you?
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Cowsham, there are two grilles. One to put the food on and a bottom one for the coals/ charcoal. In the bottom are vents and a control level to regulate the air. On the lid there is another vent that regulates the air. So, unlike an open bbq its pretty controllable. You can of course use it without the lid to guarantee incinerated food. :D
My daughters B&Q Weber clone 2 years old is rapidly rusting away. Most bbqs except Webers seem to after a couple of years. The little bbq above has be carefully watched.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

The one at the bottom must have very fine holes so that the coals don't fall through?
I am here. Where are you?
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Rubbish charcoal has very small pieces which will fall through the lower grille. I try to use catering quality charcoal which contains lots of decent size pieces.

Put a precooked sausage squirted with tomato sauce in a flattened chicken breast wrapped in a piece of back bacon...and bbq it

Heres a couple of nice accompaniments...

https://www.whats-for-supper.com/blog/p ... s-and-feta

https://www.ainsley-harriott.com/recipe ... nch-salad/

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Eat in the garden if you want, but what's wrong with your kitchen?

I can understand a BBQ out in the countryside/beach/camping etc, but why have a cooker outside when you have a perfectly suitable one installed in your house?

Cook indoors, and eat outside.
Mick F. Cornwall
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

al_yrpal wrote: 26 Apr 2021, 8:10am Gas bbqs...excellent way to incinerate food :lol:

Lady next door burnt her hubbys clothes on it when they broke up...

Al
If you'd seen me with a conventional charcoal BBQ you might have the exact opposite view. :D
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Mick F wrote: 26 Apr 2021, 2:45pm Eat in the garden if you want, but what's wrong with your kitchen?

I can understand a BBQ out in the countryside/beach/camping etc, but why have a cooker outside when you have a perfectly suitable one installed in your house?

Cook indoors, and eat outside.
We have a nice garden and spend lots of time in it. Food from the bbq tastes different and often nicer than can be achieved in an oven, under a grill and on the hob. Love the outdoors...listen to the birds at dusk and the lambs in the field.

Al
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

al_yrpal wrote: 26 Apr 2021, 7:50pm We have a nice garden and spend lots of time in it. Food from the bbq tastes different and often nicer than can be achieved in an oven, under a grill and on the hob. Love the outdoors...listen to the birds at dusk and the lambs in the field.
I'm not about to dispute that many people - you evidently amongst them - prefer the taste of barbecued food to that cooked in oven or under grill. I have too little personal experience to judge for myself. We are happy with our kitchen-cooked food - that's all.

According to some authorities there is a health risk in barbecued food - meat especially. Mainly in connection with PAHs produced from burning fat falling on the coals, which are carcinogenic. This is possibly avoidable if the BBQ is used correctly (I don't know).

A small risk, which most people will probably accept. After all being alive is a risky business. Certainly cycling - or crossing a road - or having a Covid jab - or not having a Covid jab: all of these involve risk. We just live with it.

Enjoy your BBQ! I'm not about to rush out and buy one - even though I've finally got my car back on the road (yet another risk factor)...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Yes, a few years ago chips were identified as being carcinogenic by the Swedes. As with all things, everything in moderation. Our weather precludes having too many bbqs. The indirect method of barbecuing hopefully minimises the risk.

Al
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

661-Pete wrote: 25 Apr 2021, 10:14pm
simonineaston wrote: 25 Apr 2021, 6:17pm...food properly cooked in the kitchen and simply brought out into the garden when ready... very sensible.
Incidentally, we have an excellent recipe for vegetarian brochettes made with paneer or halloumi. Can be eaten indoors, of course...
Sounds great - can you share the recipe please?
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi Al, My take on "Barbeques" is that they are where you go to get your Barnett Clipped, which many of us no longer need to endure!
About as practical as "Soup In The Basket"! :wink: :wink: :wink: MM
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

al_yrpal wrote: 26 Apr 2021, 8:10am Gas bbqs...excellent way to incinerate food :lol:

Lady next door burnt her hubbys clothes on it when they broke up...

Al
Incorrect if it is a kettle type- it works like an oven
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

merseymouth wrote: 27 Apr 2021, 4:08pm Hi Al, My take on "Barbeques" is that they are where you go to get your Barnett Clipped, which many of us no longer need to endure!
About as practical as "Soup In The Basket"! :wink: :wink: :wink: MM
I appreciate that many cant get good results with BBQs, others dont like them, and think they are pointless, but I do enjoy a BBQ, rarely get poor results and love being outside. To each their own... :D

Al
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

LollyKat wrote: 27 Apr 2021, 10:05am
661-Pete wrote: 25 Apr 2021, 10:14pm Incidentally, we have an excellent recipe for vegetarian brochettes made with paneer or halloumi. Can be eaten indoors, of course...
Sounds great - can you share the recipe please?
Sure! This originates from the Prashad book but we've amended it slightly. The main thing is the marinade, which you have to prepare some 12 hours in advance. This is enough for about six skewers.
  • 125g natural yoghurt
  • 2 green chillies chopped (or more - if liked!)
  • 2 cloves garlic crushed
  • generous handful of coriander leaf chopped
  • 2 tsp ground coriander
  • 2 tsp garam masala
  • 1 tsp ground turmeric
  • 100ml sunflower oil
  • salt and pepper
Mix all these ingredients in a large bowl, and throw in the paneer or halloumi (we prefer paneer), about 400g cut into 2-3cm cubes, plus whatever other vegetables you want to thread on the skewers. We use slices of red and yellow peppers, courgette slices, mushrooms, and we finish off each skewer with half an echallion shallot - but it's up to you what you use. Stir everything well into the marinade so that it's all coated, cover the bowl and leave in the fridge for half a day. Then thread on the skewers and grill or barbecue until they just start to brown, spooning any remaining marinade over the skewers from time to time.

Serve with warm buttered Naan breads.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Mmmmm, sounds delicious! Many thanks. :D