Ex-Post Office CEO Paula Vennells

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
NATURAL ANKLING

Ex-Post Office CEO Paula Vennells

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,

https://www.computerweekly.com/news/252 ... nd-bonuses

According to the Post Office financial results for 2019/20, she took salary already earned in the year she left of £21,250, plus benefit payments amounting to £6,137. In August 2019, she received a payment from the organisation's long-term incentive plan of £245,000, along with a short-term incentive plan bonus of £143,820, for performance in the financial year 2018/19.
“The payments [to Vennells] are inhumane in a way,” he said. “She has put hundreds, if not thousands, of people through absolute hell through her incompetence running the Post Office for years.”
After being forced to admit it was wrong, the Post Office set up a compensation scheme, which 2,400 subpostmasters have applied to join. The Post Office has set aside £153m towards what is known as the Historical Shortfall Scheme settlement
Earlier this month the government said it would pay the compensation owed to subpostmasters to prevent the Post Office failing as a business.
Vennells, however, walked out of the Post Office and straight into the role of chair at the Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust, one of the biggest trusts in the NHS. She was forced to step down this year following pressure because of her involvement in the Horizon scandal. She currently holds non-executive director roles at retailers Morrisons and Dunelm

Not anymore she isn't along with several other positions, Morrison's was paying her 90 grand a year.

https://www.business-live.co.uk/retail- ... a-20465662

She said-
"It is obvious that my involvement with the Post Office has become a distraction from the good work undertaken in the Diocese of St Albans and in the parishes I serve.
Lord Justice Holroyde said the Post Office "effectively steamrolled over any subpostmaster who sought to challenge its accuracy"

Ms Vennells, who was made a CBE for "services to the Post Office and to charity" is an associate minister in Bromham, Oakley and Stagsden, Bedfordshire..

:roll:
Sorry for poor editing.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
thirdcrank

Re: Ex-Post Office CEO Paula Vennells

Post by thirdcrank »

Private Eye has been covering this for years.

I see they have now done a special

https://www.private-eye.co.uk/special-r ... n-the-post
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Sounds like the sort of person BoJo would just love to recruit into his Cabinet. Or failing that, she might consider offering her services across the Pond, to help Trump in his 'comeback'...

Birds of a feather eh...?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Perhaps she could use her contacts to help the ctc
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

From OP's quoted article
https://www.computerweekly.com/news/252 ... nd-bonuses wrote:Earlier this month the government said it would pay the compensation owed to subpostmasters to prevent the Post Office failing as a business.
Once again the UK taxpayer looks like it will be bailing-out incompetence, immoral behaviour and lies
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/post-office-scandal-paula-vennells-quits-b1837537.html wrote:...
Ms Vennells had defended the system before MPs, insisting it was “robust”, despite knowing about its flaws....
There are lost of people in desperate need of a Government safety net yet we spend our limited funds bailing out such incompetence (or will likely spend our ...).

Ian
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Morning all, This entire affair has me thinking un-Christian thoughts about the ruddy woman! She is a disgrace to business & church, she was defiant over her failings during her time in charge of the Post Office, can't her being holier than though, can't reach me as I have no time for any religion. Honesty and introspection might better? MM
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

thirdcrank wrote: 26 Apr 2021, 11:22am Private Eye has been covering this for years.

I see they have now done a special

https://www.private-eye.co.uk/special-r ... n-the-post

The other august journal that's been covering this diligently and campaigning for the victims has been the Daily Mail. But whisper that here... it doesn't fit the groupthink... 😉
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Ben@Forest wrote: 26 Apr 2021, 6:20pm

The other august journal that's been covering this diligently and campaigning for the victims has been the Daily Mail. But whisper that here... it doesn't fit the groupthink... 😉
I have been well aware of this scandal for some years.
I do not get my news from the Mail, and I think it must be from Radio 4.
Computer Weekly reported the problem with Horizon in 2009.
I find that a leak of the Insight investigation to the BBC was reported in 2014.
Private Eye published in 2015.
I think any idea of groupthink in this forum must come from your imagination.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Tompsk

Post by Tompsk »

When I saw she had resigned from her church duties I wondered 'why now'? Well my conclusion wasn't that she had a revelation she had done something wrong (I'm pretty sure she knew that already) but with the court quashing the convictions, that she had a hand in, her position was now impossible. So another 'leader' who has no shame, pity she did this in the church arena and they didn't 'have a word' before now :-(

I hope they claw back all the bonuses and look at removing her title. All those who lied in court or supplied false information should also be prosecuted.

Reminds me a bit of Lord Hanningfield who denied he had done anything wrong until all his many appeals ran out, then fessed up to minimise his sentence.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Mike Sales wrote: 26 Apr 2021, 6:45pm
Ben@Forest wrote: 26 Apr 2021, 6:20pm

I have been well aware of this scandal for some years.
I do not get my news from the Mail, and I think it must be from Radio 4.
Computer Weekly reported the problem with Horizon in 2009.
I find that a leak of the Insight investigation to the BBC was reported in 2014.
Private Eye published in 2015.
I think any idea of groupthink in this forum must come from your imagination.
But you don't read the Mail. Neither do I, but on R4 a couple of days ago a commentator said that two media organisations which had really focused on this issue rather than just reported on it were Private Eye and ....the Daily Mail.

The groupthink comment was a wry comment on what many commentators on here will say about the Mail. Which I can't really be sure about because... I don't read the Mail.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Ben@Forest wrote: 26 Apr 2021, 7:07pm

The groupthink comment was a wry comment on what many commentators on here will say about the Mail. Which I can't really be sure about because... I don't read the Mail.
Why not? Surely you too are not a victim of group think?
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The daily wail has a new editor and has changed quite a bit
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Ben@Forest wrote: 26 Apr 2021, 6:20pm The other august journal that's been covering this diligently and campaigning for the victims has been the Daily Mail. But whisper that here... it doesn't fit the groupthink... 😉
I suppose not. I'm tempted to quote from Macb... err, The Scottish Play: "What, can the Devil speak true?" Even the DM will be bound to get it right some of the time. But its editorial stance is not to my liking, so you won't catch me reading it regularly.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Cronyism / Nepotism !
It's all there-
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paula_Vennells
"On 19 March 2020, Vennells was harshly criticised in the House of Commons, particularly by Kevan Jones, MP for North Durham, who said:[16]

Obviously, as a board member she knew what was going on, including the strategy in the court case and the bugs in the system. What happened? She got a CBE in the new year’s honours list for services to the Post Office. That is just rubbing salt into the wounds of these innocent people. There is a case for her having that honour removed, and I would like to know how she got it in the first place when the court case is ongoing. Added to that, she is now chair of Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust. Again, I would like to know why and what due diligence was done on her as an individual..."

"The judge presiding on the case, Mr Justice Fraser, described the Post Office's approach to the case as "institutional obstinacy" that:
...amounted, in reality, to bare assertions and denials that ignore what has actually occurred, at least so far as the witnesses called before me in the Horizon Issues trial are concerned.
It amounts to the 21st century equivalent of maintaining that the earth is flat."
*************"
"and journalist Nick Wallis reported “real anger” that Vennells appeared to have been protected by “the establishment” including the Church of England, which many see as immoral. The church refused to take part but a statement from the Bishop said that he would consider acting if he received conclusive evidence of her wrongdoing"

They didn't wait very long before parting company.

"In June 2020 the Criminal Cases Review Commission sent 47 cases in which subpostmasters had been prosecuted to the Court of Appeal as potential miscarriages of justice. The Post Office announced that it was not contesting 44 of them. The cases have been described as the “biggest miscarriage of justice in modern English legal history”
"Sky News quoted a boardroom colleague as saying “there was no way for her to stay on after the ruling - and it's hard to see how she will ever be able to work again "

We wish!
But we know it will never happen.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

She, and her actions, along with the actions of the rest of the board, has ruined the lives of dozens of decent, honest Post Office employees. I am now about to sit down to fervantly pray (can one pray standing up? I don't know...) for two things. That she and the rest of the board get what's coming to them when their time is up - I'm looking to you on this one, God!! and secondly that the victims undertake a group action and sue the buttocks off these venal hypocrits - verily they shall be taken to the cleaners... please please please.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)