eBay commission & payment changes

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
ClappedOut

Re: eBay commission & payment changes

Post by ClappedOut »

I've received a you can't list more, edit and from 17th June they will start removing 50 plus listings that generates £50 a month gross :lol:

eBay can go ahead as I can wait and sell at a rally or elsewhere for significantly less.

Along with my Amazon seller account as another option

Watch the stampede of people to Facebook marketplace, gumtree and sphock
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Good luck.
You can wait a long time to sell a shopping trolley on Facebook :lol:

The thing about eBay is it's a worldwide market.
Plenty of stuff quite desirable stuff doesn't sell on eBay but it doesn't sell not because of the fees because no one will pay that price anywhere.

Plenty of organisations have got your date of birth.
Do you think your local GP is more secure?
Or even your bank, plenty of them have suffered hacking, I believe even Facebook have suffered the same?
I suppose you know you can use 2FA on eBay?
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 30 May 2021, 10:52am Hi,
Good luck.

Plenty of stuff quite desirable stuff doesn't sell on eBay but it doesn't sell not because of the fees because no one will pay that price anywhere.

Or even your bank, plenty of them have suffered hacking, I believe even Facebook have suffered the same?
The issue as far as I’m concerned is a direct debit mandate and let me explain why.

If as Amazon the money collection is done, the product is shipped and Amazon deduct fees and transfer money-fine.

The issue is EBay easy returns which I sold a brand new component in functional condition and it was returned as the valve printed data was slightly smeared- this was shown in pictures and the customer returned it as it was a vintage audio amplifier with hard wood base and exposed valves for show.

On this occasion eBay sent the item to music magpie and refunded the buyer and I kept my payment as done nothing wrong.

What worries me is with 100% feedback and many second hand items that are fully functional, dodgy buyers like the ones who steal parts out of things ( screws marked prove it was opened ) 6 Months later it gets returned or worse still back to eBay and they decide to give a refund or bill me for a percentage putting me into my overdraft unable to pay a bill as I have sold items worth several hundred & thousand in past without massive margins.

Some of the sales I have by time fees and shipping accounted for £8 profit.
Syd

Post by Syd »

I’ve sold a number of items over the weekend, my first since setting payment to go straight into my bank.

Must say I am not a fan. The money is still sitting with eBay and it will likely be tomorrow before it finally drops into my bank account. With PayPal the money was available to withdraw straight away and I used to withdraw only the excess leaving enough behind to cover eBay fees.
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

As I have a DBS From a failed Amazon project that didn't get them a market share they hoped.
I have a fee free account that only costs when someone buys something.

The good news is eBay can play hard ball as not reliant on them for income. Either people will decamp in droves or not.

The market will decide.
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

Syd wrote: 1 Jun 2021, 9:18pm I’ve sold a number of items over the weekend, my first since setting payment to go straight into my bank.

Must say I am not a fan. The money is still sitting with eBay and it will likely be tomorrow before it finally drops into my bank account. With PayPal the money was available to withdraw straight away and I used to withdraw only the excess leaving enough behind to cover eBay fees.
They hang onto it for two days, then they email you to say it will take up to another four days to actually land in your bank account.

You will see what I mean soon enough.
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

Tiberius wrote: 2 Jun 2021, 9:03am
Syd wrote: 1 Jun 2021, 9:18pm I’ve sold a number of items over the weekend, my first since setting payment to go straight into my bank.

They hang onto it for two days, then they email you to say it will take up to another four days to actually land in your bank account.

Nice
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Good luck.

Thanks for the heads up on 2FA. I have now switched to that on both eBay & Amazon.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Tiberius wrote:

Nice little earner for them. No doubt they sit on millions for a few days.
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

Syd wrote: 2 Jun 2021, 9:35am
Tiberius wrote:

Nice little earner for them. No doubt they sit on millions for a few days.
Like the time they tried PayPal only and failed.
I have sold a new item in the past and it was substituted with a rusty used item pictures

Buyer tried partial refund scam and I offered full refund if item returned as I knew from pictures I had posted it had shown the serial.

The scammer sent a small parcel of rubbish at a lower cost than I sent item- eBay wouldn't listen and I lost item and money( I did dispute PayPal with credit card company and got that reversed)

Cost me £60 lost item.

So my belief is Amazon and distance selling regulations biting eBay & are now insuring each transaction and will music magpie warehouse any disputes.

Seeing as it is an additional revenue stream I can just wait it out, removal of items threat is self defeating as it guarantees eBay less revenue :lol:
Saves me the effort :lol:
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,

I always paid eBay fees automatically, I get a statement they say when they're going to take the money they take the money that's it.
A bit like bank accounts and direct debit doesn't it, every month I get a credit card bill and it's paid from my bank.
It's possible depending on how you pay fees it would be different and it's possible it's different now.
I'm not someone who worries about the money sitting there not moving, once it's gone I mean once you've been billed you know the money is gone, I no longer own it.

I can understand if you're selling an item and it's quite substantial amount of money waiting for it to arrive could be a bit of a pain.
And yes I do prefer instant payments when I buy something I pay very quickly and when I get a refund I expect it to be quick too.

A couple of months back I had an email drop on my desk that meant that I've just paid twice as much for my Internet security software as I needed to.
I was a bit mad and the first thing I did was go looking for me prior to payment email.
Yes it was there and I had overlooked it.
As you know with a lot of things nowadays that you pay every year you're forced Into setting up annual payment (they're very ugly things aren't they) and then of course you forget about it!
I contacted the company and within a short space of time they offered me a 50% discount.
Discount payment was very prompt, minutes after the chat, but of course I was speaking to someone live via chat, and that once they press the button meant instant payment unlike machines which don't always work like that pre programmed.
I don't normally like dealing with individuals with payments et cetera, I always prefer machines that work 24 hours a day, great when they work not so good when they say no.
But all in all I would say they're more reliable than peoples memory.
Had to contact Sainsbury's about an undelivered item that we wanted our money back for, lengthy telephone conversation said we would get our money back.
Well we didnot and we had to make a phone call again and jump through all those hoops so all in all probably something like half an hour plus time on the phone just to get £6.75 back!
Because the first person we spoke to did nothing.
Imagine going back 50 years or more, you would hate it wouldn't you waiting for that cheque to arrive through the post!
I think it's all a sign of the times isn't it.

Give me computers any day rather than a phone call.
Internet chat I find is a bit time-consuming but the difference is that you get to download the text of the total conversation.
Then you have a record.
Phone calls never work like that do they?
I know that some people don't like receiving information via text I mean email or any other means.
It can be very black and white can include data which is indisputable.
The same way that on the telephone you can sometimes find that you get manipulated by the way people word things and when you put the phone down you realise you've just been conned, I mean they have manipulated you in a way so that when they put the phone down, they in their mind did everything correctly and they come out on top.
Maybe its just me.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
UpWrong wrote: 2 Jun 2021, 9:34am
Good luck.

Thanks for the heads up on 2FA. I have now switched to that on both eBay & Amazon.
eBay use their own 2FA like a lot of other firms, basically you have to get a code via text or email that you have to enter which obviously is only going to come to your phone, SMS is less secure for receiving these of course than email?
Other 2FA is incorporated into The firms own app, which means only that PHONE can access your account.
With PayPal like a lot of firms you can use a 2FA app, Like authy et cetera.
Passwords, we all know how to generate good ones of those all we should do.
I still like to generate my own as opposed to using a manager.
Play with this-
https://www.my1login.com/resources/pass ... ngth-test/
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

I sold a item on ebay last Friday.
Buyer paid straight away so I posted the item Saturday am.Item received by buyer yesterday.
I got an email from ebay today stating funds have been sent to my account and will take 0-4 days :x
Under the old system the money would have been in my Paypal account instantly.

I will not be using ebay for sales in future.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Hellhound wrote: 19 Oct 2021, 1:53pm I sold a item on ebay last Friday.
Buyer paid straight away so I posted the item Saturday am.Item received by buyer yesterday.
I got an email from ebay today stating funds have been sent to my account and will take 0-4 days :x

I sold an item on Friday. The buyer paid Friday evening. The money was in my account yesterday (Monday)
I don’t think we can grumble at that can we?
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

Paulatic wrote: 19 Oct 2021, 2:59pm
Hellhound wrote: 19 Oct 2021, 1:53pm I sold a item on ebay last Friday.

I sold an item on Friday. The buyer paid Friday evening. The money was in my account yesterday (Monday)
I don’t think we can grumble at that can we?
Yes we can
With Paypal it was instant.This is a step back to the 1990s when transactions took 3 days!ebay get the money straight away and they should pass it on straight away.