eBay commission & payment changes

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
UpWrong

eBay commission & payment changes

Post by UpWrong »

Had an email from them last night. They will shortly require your bank details for selling, and commission will be 12.8%. Discussed elsewhere? What say you?
Last edited by UpWrong on 30 May 2021, 6:17am, edited 1 time in total.
Paulatic

Re: eBay commission & payment changes

Post by Paulatic »

I switched to this a number of weeks ago. The advantage is the money was in my account days after the sale rather than settling up a month later.
Commission, well that is what it is and has to be considered. I normally never list unless it’s an offer.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Ride-sleep-repeat

Post by Ride-sleep-repeat »

Ebay and Paypal has become a quite expensive way to sell privately.
I now use Facebook Marketplace to sell cycling bits.No commision/fees.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Good Tip - I'll give it go.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

My first payment direct to bank net of fees is on its way. Seems fine.

PayPal OTOH has frozen my account without notice or explanation as I am at their 2500 Euro lifetime transaction limit and demanded Photo ID. I assumed their email (to a legacy email address) was a phishing attack and ignored it. Hard to like, PayPal IME.
Ride-sleep-repeat

simonineaston wrote: 28 Apr 2021, 9:21am
Good Tip - I'll give it go.
I use Yorkshire Cycling sales on FB.
I'm sure each area will have their own group if you do a search.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
EBay as a vast worldwide selling and buying platform.
Do any other methods match that?
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/ ... ping-fees/

"Existing system. When an item sells, eBay charges a flat 10% of the sale price, including postage. PayPal's cut is 2.9% of the final amount, including postage, plus 30p for each transaction.
So sell something for £10, plus £3 delivery, and eBay will take £1.30 while PayPal takes 68p. This leaves you with £11.02.
Alternatively, sell something for £100, plus £2.50 delivery, and eBay will take £10.25 while PayPal takes £3.27. This leaves you with £88.98.

New system. eBay will charge a final value fee of 12.8%, including delivery, plus 30p per order, while PayPal will be cut out of the equation. This means you'll be fractionally better off.
So take your £10 sale, plus £3 delivery, and eBay will take £1.96, leaving you with £11.04.
Alternatively, sell something for £100, plus £2.50 delivery, and eBay will take £13.42, leaving you with £89.08."

Can't see how that will break the bank?
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Ride-sleep-repeat

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 28 Apr 2021, 1:36pm Hi,
EBay as a vast worldwide selling and buying platform.
Do any other methods match that?
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/ ... ping-fees/

"Existing system. When an item sells, eBay charges a flat 10% of the sale price, including postage. PayPal's cut is 2.9% of the final amount, including postage, plus 30p for each transaction.
So sell something for £10, plus £3 delivery, and eBay will take £1.30 while PayPal takes 68p. This leaves you with £11.02.
Alternatively, sell something for £100, plus £2.50 delivery, and eBay will take £10.25 while PayPal takes £3.27. This leaves you with £88.98.

New system. eBay will charge a final value fee of 12.8%, including delivery, plus 30p per order, while PayPal will be cut out of the equation. This means you'll be fractionally better off.
So take your £10 sale, plus £3 delivery, and eBay will take £1.96, leaving you with £11.04.
Alternatively, sell something for £100, plus £2.50 delivery, and eBay will take £13.42, leaving you with £89.08."

Can't see how that will break the bank?
Whilst it won't break the bank,and I regularly buy from ebay,both ebay and Paypal are multi-million(billion?) Dollar companies and I'd rather keep the 13%!
I would rather spend my accumulative 13%s in my local economy thank you very much!
Ride-sleep-repeat

From 31 may 2021 ebay will be paying money from sales direct into the sellers Bank account.
Fees and expenses will be deducted before you get paid and the remainder of your eBay earnings will go directly to your bank account, not your PayPal account.

Your eBay selling fees will be automatically deducted from your earnings at the time of sale. No more PayPal payment processing fees.
So regardless of how a buyer pays the seller will receive payment direct,
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

And lose all of PayPal’s protection ...
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Bonefishblues wrote: 28 Apr 2021, 9:35am My first payment direct to bank net of fees is on its way. Seems fine.

PayPal OTOH has frozen my account without notice or explanation as I am at their 2500 Euro lifetime transaction limit and demanded Photo ID. I assumed their email (to a legacy email address) was a phishing attack and ignored it. Hard to like, PayPal IME.
PayPal has had my personal info for 2 weeks and still has not reinstated my ability to use it. I'm getting close to telling them to close the account permanently. It's a great business model, executed really badly, I think.
Ride-sleep-repeat

landsurfer wrote: 9 May 2021, 3:26pm And lose all of PayPal’s protection ...
My thoughts too but can ebay withdraw a payment from a bank account once it's landed?
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

Ride-sleep-repeat wrote: 9 May 2021, 3:33pm
landsurfer wrote: 9 May 2021, 3:26pm And lose all of PayPal’s protection ...
My thoughts too but can ebay withdraw a payment from a bank account once it's landed?
Direct debit guarantee so you can claw it back.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

eBay are asking for my date of birth in order to use their "managed payments" system. If I don't give it then I won't be able to sell on eBay anymore. They say it is required by Govt law. U.S. Govt or UK Govt? Probably to combat money laundering but could be used by HMRC I guess as an income check.I'm against money laundering and tax evasion but I'm uncomfortable with giving eBay my date of birth in case they get hacked etc.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Doesn’t have to be your DoB does it?
A valid one will do.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info