Peak London: love, hate, indifferent? Vote now please!

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

Do you love London?

No
33%
Yes
No votes
Love AND hate
33%
Love it a bit
5%
Used to
No votes
Not sure
5%
Not been there yet
No votes
He who is tired of L is tired of life
5%
I loved it back then, xx years ago
14%
Prefer another Metropolis (which?)
5%

Total votes: 21

Mike Sales

Re: Peak London: love, hate, indifferent? Vote now please!

Post by Mike Sales »

Cyril Haearn wrote: 7 May 2021, 3:19pm
Perhaps the pyramids were part of a great city that went into decline, London might go that way
That was before London was a city.
"This, too was once one of the dark places of the earth."
Heart of Darkness J.Conrad.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Cyril Haearn wrote: 7 May 2021, 3:19pm
Oldjohnw wrote: 7 May 2021, 3:15pm Can someone direct me to where I can read a copy of the Manchester Guardian, please?
On the interweb, a copyright of the first issue is available, with an advertisement seeking a lost dog
Perhaps the pyramids were part of a great city that went into decline, London might go that way

My understanding is that the title has not been used for over 60 years.
John
Ride-sleep-repeat

Post by Ride-sleep-repeat »

I quite like our capital city.I also hate it.
I think all major cities will be similar.I would like to visit a wide range of capital cities,and plan to do so in full retirement,just for the experience.
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

Grew up 30miles from London and lived there for a few years whilst studying. Great place to be in for a short time if you have some money! Wouldn't want to live there, am a country bumpkin now :D

I did notice when I visited a few years ago , after the congestion charge how much more pleasant it is to be in central London compared to how it used to be as the traffic is so much lighter. I remember most roads were solid with traffic and you were breathing exhaust fumes wherever you walked.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

VinceLedge wrote: 8 May 2021, 9:33am Grew up 30miles from London and lived there for a few years whilst studying. Great place to be in for a short time if you have some money! Wouldn't want to live there, am a country bumpkin now :D

I did notice when I visited a few years ago , after the congestion charge how much more pleasant it is to be in central London compared to how it used to be as the traffic is so much lighter. I remember most roads were solid with traffic and you were breathing exhaust fumes wherever you walked.
Still true now on Oxford Street - wall to wall with buses and taxis. Should be pedestrian and cycle only.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Oldjohnw wrote: 7 May 2021, 3:51pmMy understanding is that the title has not been used for over 60 years.
Perhaps moving to London and dropping the 'Manchester' was a mistake. Given that London-centrism is seen as a problem if it had stayed in Manchester it may have provided a better outlook on England and the UK, not caught up in the London bubble.

A couple of months ago the Gruaniad ran an article about some arts project addressing issues in 'the North'. It was in Doncaster. In the comments section someone quickly pointed out the idiocy of treating Doncaster as representative of the whole of the North of England. Perhaps if the newspaper had stayed in Manchester it wouldn't do things like that.

And let's face it, Doncaster's barely in the North anyway..... :wink:
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Printed newspapers were doomed when fish-and-chip shops stopped using them as wrapping paper.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

18 votes and nobody loves London yet :?
Anyone here actually reside in the Metropolis proper, not in the leafy suburbs or Home Counties?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Cyril Haearn wrote: 8 May 2021, 12:01pmAnyone here actually reside in the Metropolis proper, not in the leafy suburbs or Home Counties?
What definition of metropolis are you using that doesn't include leafy suburbs?

Thanks

Jonathan
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Cyril Haearn wrote: 8 May 2021, 12:01pm 18 votes and nobody loves London yet :?
Anyone here actually reside in the Metropolis proper, not in the leafy suburbs or Home Counties?
I lived in London for two years. Someone earlier said it was a great place if you have money. I had very little money once I'd paid my rent but it was a great place even without it. I loved looking at Time Out and seeing the events and places I could go - often free. And nobody who lives in London should ever complain about public transport. Compared to anywhere else you've got it good.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Ben@Forest wrote: 8 May 2021, 12:46pm
I lived in London for two years. Someone earlier said it was a great place if you have money. I had very little money once I'd paid my rent but it was a great place even without it. I loved looking at Time Out and seeing the events and places I could go - often free. And nobody who lives in London should ever complain about public transport. Compared to anywhere else you've got it good.
But the pollution ...

And the costs - apart from transport.
John
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

True: public transport is outstanding and world class in London (although I cycle most places).

Just compare the pitiful Rome subway to the expansive London tube.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

markjohnobrien wrote: 8 May 2021, 12:59pm
True: public transport is outstanding and world class in London (although I cycle most places).

Just compare the pitiful Rome subway to the expansive London tube.
It must surely be a model for modern living by some people's measures :D
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

Cyril Haearn wrote: people are 'working' from home
Really?

As someone who's had to work from home for over a year and is absolutely hating it, kindly stuff your poorly informed judgemental rubbish where the sun don't shine. :wink:

As for London, too big for me, fun to visit, wouldn't live there. Decent transport though, a standing example as to how disastorous the conservative deregulation of bus services outside of London was. Also, in some parts anyway, leading the UK on half decent cycling infrastructure that enables it as a transport option for non-enthusiasts.

At the same time it also irritates in the general exceptional treatment it gets such as the additional powers and funding (though not very much of the latter these days) that should have been rolled out to other English councils & cities years ago.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop