Peak London: love, hate, indifferent? Vote now please!

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

Do you love London?

No
33%
Yes
No votes
Love AND hate
33%
Love it a bit
5%
Used to
No votes
Not sure
5%
Not been there yet
No votes
He who is tired of L is tired of life
5%
I loved it back then, xx years ago
14%
Prefer another Metropolis (which?)
5%

Total votes: 21

Cyril Haearn

Peak London: love, hate, indifferent? Vote now please!

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The Manchester Guardian has a report speculating about whether Peak London has been reached. My keyboard seems to think so, it suggested 'District' after 'Peak' :wink:

London is apparently still a ghost town, people are 'working' from home

What next? Upgrade to Manchester or Caerdydd or Hartlepool or Barnet Castle?

Or does Llundain just need to reinvent itself. Again?
Most of us have been to London, but I bet I am not the only one who has not been there for many years. Apart from passing through by train, my last visit was about 1996. There are ten choices, to try and get a representative result
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Oldjohnw

Re: Peak London: love, hate, indifferent? Vote now please!

Post by Oldjohnw »

I used to work three days every two weeks in London. Regular visits continued in retirement but I have not been now in 3 years.

London is good in parts.not all good and not all bad.
John
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Bryn-poeth is up to his old obfuscation tricks yet again. There is no such paper as the "Manchester Guardian".
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

P.S. I now see how the above-mentioned name change was achieved - by inserting the person's original moniker into the 'swear-word' filter.

Admin: Please can this device not be used again?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Horrid place, as are all mega cities.
Mick F. Cornwall
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Too many shootings, stabbings, and many stupid people not taking the vaccine. And don’t make excuses for them under the “vaccine hesitancy” label.

People are rude and impolite: if you let another car driver past, or wait for them, they never raise their hand in thanks. Whereas Oxfordshire, Nottinghamshire, et al, everyone thanks back.

Beer is terrible and flat - even the award winning Camra pubs like the Harp (just off Trafalgar Square).

On the positive side:

Museums ; gallery’s; restaurants; parks are world class. Churches also.

I love cycling through Hyde Park, down the Mall, past parliament square, and along Victoria Embankment alongside the Thames to Tower Hill and the Merchant seaman memorial opposite the Tower of London.

The Wren and Hawksmoor churches in the City of London are stunning and beautiful - I love cycling past and sitting in St James Garlickhythe

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_James_Garlickhythe

It’s worth spending a day to visit all of the Wren/Hawksmoor churches: balm for the soul as they are so beautiful.

Segregated cycle super highways are brilliant - best in Britain- and hats off to Boris for building so many of them when Mayor. The one along Victoria Embankment is a gem with wholly segregated lanes and even traffic lights: bliss.

Mixed bag: when it’s bad, like knife crime, it’s utterly abysmal. When it’s good, it’s superb.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
rjb

Post by rjb »

London has become the home of remainers, and vote for the labour party. All the brexit folk have voted with there feet, upsticks and moved elsewhere. :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

rjb wrote: 7 May 2021, 1:48pm London has become the home of remainers, and vote for the labour party. All the brexit folk have voted with there feet, upsticks and moved elsewhere. :lol:

All?

I believe Messrs Johnson and Gove live in London .
Not forgetting the lifetime leaver J Corbyn :D
John
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

AIUI, one of the biggest influences on people moving out of London has always been lower housing costs in the sticks balanced with commuting costs including journey time to London workplaces. Covid-related things like working from home have probably tipped the scales a bit in favour of quitting London.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Oldjohnw wrote: 7 May 2021, 2:14pm
rjb wrote: 7 May 2021, 1:48pm London has become the home of remainers, and vote for the labour party. All the brexit folk have voted with there feet, upsticks and moved elsewhere. :lol:

All?

I believe Messrs Johnson and Gove live in London .
Not forgetting the lifetime leaver J Corbyn :D
I think that the entire remaining Labour Party lives in London, doesn't it? :D
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I fear the entire Labour party will soon fit into some small hamlet in Kent or somewhere!
John
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

661-Pete wrote: 7 May 2021, 10:19am P.S. I now see how the above-mentioned name change was achieved - by inserting the person's original moniker into the 'swear-word' filter.

Admin: Please can this device not be used again?
I understand there is a good reason for using it

Are you really objecting to my use of the word 'Manchester'?

I shall continue using the m-word, for I believe it may have prompted youngsters to look into the history of my favourite journal. Besides, there are other journals named thus, the Farmers Guardian, the Knutsford Guardian with news from Wilmslow etc, best to use the prefix to denote which paper one means
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 7 May 2021, 3:18pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Can someone direct me to where I can read a copy of the Manchester Guardian, please?
John
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Oldjohnw wrote: 7 May 2021, 3:15pm Can someone direct me to where I can read a copy of the Manchester Guardian, please?
On the interweb, a copyright of the first issue is available, with an advertisement seeking a lost dog
Perhaps the pyramids were part of a great city that went into decline, London might go that way