Coffee Makers

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
RickH

Re: Coffee Makers

Post by RickH »

My "go to" coffee maker is an ancient Drip-O-Lator.

It was mostly likely aquired by Mrs H's Grandfather while travelling overland across North America, when he travelled to Japan in the 1930s for a World Education Conference.

According to the stamp on the bottom, the Drip-O-Lator was produced by the Enterprise Aluminum Co of Massillon, Ohio. It is an aluminium jug, filter, water reservoir & lid that stack together to create a coffee filter system. I've found it produces nice coffee.

It looks like you can pick up examples on online marketplaces such as Etsy or ebay.

Combined with my Porlex hand grinder, I can produce fresh coffee straight from roasted beans (Cafe Direct Fairtrade Machu Picchu beans usually) anywhere I can get a supply of boiling water.
Alfresco coffee setup while camping
Alfresco coffee setup while camping
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Grumpy-Grandad

Post by Grumpy-Grandad »

Bonefishblues wrote: 8 May 2021, 1:15pm
I agree - I'm running a B2C with a sticker price somewhat North of your machine (dual bean hoppers - because tart!) and rate it as very good value - for us, but I was just making the point that good B2C machines can be had for considerably less.
Yes I see what you mean :D
Steve
rfryer

Post by rfryer »

Another recommendation here for the Aeropress. Compared to a mocha pot like the Bialetti it's simpler to use and clean, and produces a much cleaner beverage. I enjoy a proper espresso (I've got a Rocket and a Flair to scratch that itch) but I feel that the output from a mocha pot is in a not-all-that-pleasant, in-between place between brewed coffee and espresso.

It makes a good noise when brewing, though!

YMMV
Last edited by rfryer on 9 May 2021, 2:50pm, edited 1 time in total.
sjs

Post by sjs »

al_yrpal wrote: 7 May 2021, 2:24pm Franco, I have had an earlier model of this for several years.

https://www.johnlewis.com/de'longhi-mag ... e/p5129274

Expensive, yes, but great. You get what you pay for. Press a button and excellent coffee comes out, no grinding or mess. Fill with water and beans occasionally.

Al
We've got an earlier model (maybe 5 years old) Magnifica S too. Makes nice coffee, but has proved a bit unreliable. Perhaps we over-use it. I paid to send it for repair once, and on two other occasions have used Youtube videos and improvised plumbing skills to fix it. It's still going though.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I have had problems too but just removing the machines guts and cleaning everything fixed it.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

B2C machines need regular cleaning (I do ours weekly, takes 5-10 mins or so) It's easy enough to do, except on (arguably) the premium brand Jura, many of whose machines follow the modern trend for 'sealed for life' operation, and which would need expensive Service Agent attention.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Thanks for the many suggestions.
I wonder if the temperature of the brewed coffee is nice and hot from the machines mentioned?
Tea or coffee must be hot for me to enjoy them. Not so hot that you'd scald yourself but hot enough so you'd want to sip it rather than take big mouthfuls.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Fill your cup with hot water while the coffee is being made. That prevents your drink being cooled by your cup.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

My Magnifica £349 from Amazon
My Magnifica £349 from Amazon
I only clean my bean to cup Magnifica every three months or so. Fill the water container every day, top up the beans. The machine is self cleaning and the cleaning water it pumps through on startup and shutdown must be emptied from the drip tray every so often.
The temperature of the coffee from the Magnifica is fine, hot but not scalding. There is steam availalable to make foamed milk and hot water for a cup of tea too. Big choice of coffee concentration from expresso to weak, you can select the grind of the beans. As I observed before you get what you pay for. Our machine is about 5 years old and has been very reliable.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Self cleaning only to a degree. The brew unit will get clogged and sport nasty, bitter residue if left for several months.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

francovendee wrote: 7 May 2021, 9:48am ...
I've been looking at a Barletti traditional coffee maker and wonder if anyone here uses one.

They look quite rugged and durable but what's the coffee like?
I thought the info requested was specific so I didn't mention that after years of trying different methods both at home and in hotels etc., we settled on the simple glass cafetière - Bodum type - of which we have several sizes from a single cup upwards. Never any problems.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

thirdcrank wrote: 9 May 2021, 10:31am I thought the info requested was specific so I didn't mention that after years of trying different methods both at home and in hotels etc., we settled on the simple glass cafetière - Bodum type - of which we have several sizes from a single cup upwards. Never any problems.
They are simple, reliable and can give an acceptable drink. It’s not the same extraction process though and does give different flavours.
Out of interest do you add milk to your coffee or drink it black? I suspect if you are a milk user then a Bodum style is ideal.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

These days, I rarely drink coffee except first thing after breakfast, in the interest of a good night's sleep and I generally add milk.

An "acceptable" drink is really in the eye of the beholder, or perhaps the gob of the drinker.
sjs

Post by sjs »

al_yrpal wrote: 9 May 2021, 8:26am I have had problems too but just removing the machines guts and cleaning everything fixed it.

Al
I've needed a few spare parts (hard water area?, laziness in cleaning?) the most interesting of which was a "generator", which to the untutored eye was a large lump of plastic with various connection opportunities for small hoses. Definitely broken; had a crack in it capable of generating a jet of hot water which reached the ceiling, once I had removed the casing of the machine.
Ray

Post by Ray »

Since our De Longhi espresso machine blew a gasket a few weeks ago we've been using a 'Clever Dripper' -https://youbarista.co.uk/products/clever-coffee-dripper. - and see various YouTube videos.
It's basically a pour-through filter equipped with a valve that allows the coffee to brew for 3-4 minutes (or to taste) until you place the device on a cup or jug, which opens the valve, releasing the coffee.

Makes an excellent and far cleaner-tasting brew than the rather muddy beverage which emerges from a cafetière, and there's less faff - and less financial outlay - than an espresso machine. Not sure yet whether we'll get another machine, but in the meantime we'll indulge any espresso-craving by going to a coffee shop - sitting outside at the moment, and indoors fairly soon!
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell