Coffee Makers

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Maillot Rouge

Re: Coffee Makers

Post by Maillot Rouge »

Bonefishblues wrote: 7 May 2021, 7:01pm
Maillot Rouge wrote: 7 May 2021, 6:41pm
Bonefishblues wrote: 7 May 2021, 10:03am Aeropress is another option to consider - I use one at work.
Aero press here too.
I was a bit sceptical when bought one, but it won me over with the quality of the coffee it produces - which is kind of the point, I guess :D
Simple but very effective!
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

mjr wrote: 7 May 2021, 4:32pm
francovendee wrote: 7 May 2021, 9:48am I'm drink more coffee since our friends have been been unable to travel to France bringing our favourite Yorkshire tea :( .
Yorkshire Tea, as in that brand? Weren't any floor sweepings available? ;)
I've been looking at a Barletti traditional coffee maker and wonder if anyone here uses one.

They look quite rugged and durable but what's the coffee like?
Do you mean Barletti? https://www.barletti.com/

Or maybe Bialetti? As in a stovetop moka pot?

Well done you ditching the capsules. For fast filter coffee, I use a Hario V60 cone+jug set. For posher coffee, I use a Lacor (Spanish) stainless moka pot, but I don't consume too much unfiltered coffee because it's worse for cholesterol, sadly.

I've used a Bialetti while travelling and it seemed OK but it was my first few goes at it, so the coffee was a bit overextracted for my taste. I don't see why it wouldn't come good with time.
I can buy sweepings easily, just buy any brand of French tea
I fancy the idea of a simple stove top coffee maker.
Speaking to our neighbour about my quest for a coffee maker she's offered to give me a stove top one she doesn't use. I may take it and see how good the coffee tastes. I like simplicity of something you just put on the gas. I've had a look online and a Bialetti looks simple and what I had in mind.
In spite of friends telling me that coffee capsules can be recycled I wouldn't have one in the house even if it was free.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Bonefishblues wrote: 7 May 2021, 10:03am Aeropress is another option to consider - I use one at work.
Aero press here too.
I was a bit sceptical when bought one, but it won me over with the quality of the coffee it produces - which is kind of the point, I guess :D
Mine never made good coffee, round-bottomed mugs occasionally fell over under the pressure and then the plastic crazed. No great loss IMO as most other coffee methods seem better.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

mjr wrote: 7 May 2021, 9:13pm
Aero press here too.
Mine never made good coffee, round-bottomed mugs occasionally fell over under the pressure and then the plastic crazed. No great loss IMO as most other coffee methods seem better.
Well that's a tale of woe and no mistake :lol:
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

For easy espresso type camping I use an Aeropress, at home a b2c machine, but ca always make a really nice cup simply with a caffettier and a decent ground coffee!
PH

Post by PH »

Aero press here too.
And another one.
Depends what you like of course, I'm not a fan of some of the coffees others rave about and don't expect everyone to like those I do. The trial and error can get expensive, but I can make an Aeropress coffee that I prefer to most of those I buy in cafes.
Ride-sleep-repeat

Post by Ride-sleep-repeat »

Another Aeropress vote here.They take a bit of getting used to but are very easy to use once mastered.Apparently there's a World Aeropress championship :shock: The current champ uses chopsticks to stir his blend for a specific number of seconds.I'm not that anal about mine but do have favourite blends to use.
francovendee wrote: 7 May 2021, 9:48am I'm drink more coffee since our friends have been been unable to travel to France bringing our favourite Yorkshire tea :( .
I think the water has a lot to do with how Tea tastes.We have Yorkshire Tea and it makes a great cuppa.My in laws also buy it but it has a different taste in Nottingham.It also tastes different in Cumbria,Scotland,Wales,Devon,Cornwall.When on holiday we just start to get used to the 'funny' taste and it's time to come home :roll:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I hate coffee capsules too. Could you not try just using several French tea bags with a long brew time?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Cyril Haearn wrote: 8 May 2021, 6:52am I hate coffee capsules too. Could you not try just using several French tea bags with a long brew time?
I have tried that. Even with 6 teabags in a 4 cup teapot it still has little taste. It does get darker but the taste is lacking.
I've been through many teas, trying to get a decent brew.
I had hopes of one from Tetley labelled Engish Breakfast tea. It was marginally better but still like gnats pee.
The French truly don't understand what good tea tastes like.
I've served Yorkshire tea to a number of french guests and they've all said they liked it.
Maybe they were just being polite!
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

A generic expresso pot is sufficient. Though when on tour I don't bother hand grinding the beans. And ceased having them roasted to order in 2007 :shock: . And ceased having fresh beans forwarded from East Africa by a former colleague in 2006.

Though I still much prefer coffee made with soft waters, ideally sourced through Fell Sandstone cuesta's, with a touch of Limestone to balance it out.

Though quite incredibly, Aldi, a discount supermarket do have a record of selling outstanding coffee beans
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Jdsk wrote: 8 May 2021, 9:59am
I'm pleased to see you expressing yourself, but also mildly fearful :D
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

gbnz wrote: 8 May 2021, 9:31am A generic expresso pot is sufficient.
You might have been lucky or I have been unlucky that’s not my experience. I used to get variable results and sometimes outright failure. Received the genuine article a couple of Christmases ago and get a perfect result every morning.
If I do have a 2nd coffee later in the morning It’s normally Aeropress.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Grumpy-Grandad

Post by Grumpy-Grandad »

Bonefishblues wrote: 7 May 2021, 1:09pm Good B2C machines don't have to cost that much.
It wasn't that expensive when we bought it a few years ago .... and we got a nice discount .... I'm not sure I'd pay the full price now BUT ours is used every day and has never had a problem so has been worth the money :D
Steve
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Grumpy-Grandad wrote: 8 May 2021, 1:10pm
Bonefishblues wrote: 7 May 2021, 1:09pm Good B2C machines don't have to cost that much.
It wasn't that expensive when we bought it a few years ago .... and we got a nice discount .... I'm not sure I'd pay the full price now BUT ours is used every day and has never had a problem so has been worth the money :D
I agree - I'm running a B2C with a sticker price somewhat North of your machine (dual bean hoppers - because tart!) and rate it as very good value - for us, but I was just making the point that good B2C machines can be had for considerably less.